Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-170 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-170
Yaesu VX-170 Reviews: 127 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Same chassis as the VX-150. WaterPROOF. 1,000 memories. 1400mAH NiMH batt pack.

Preliminary specs indicated "1,000 conventional memories." In reality, the VX-170 sports 200 conventional memories (plus a Home channel, band edges, WX channels).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-170.

VE6JMK Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2009 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Not quite as rugged as expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
Until the FT-270 eclipsed this, it is my favourite radio. I use it often at work to stand in for my issued Motorola HT1250. It is probably not quite as rugged as many may think. I cracked the case to pieces on one that was on my duty belt when I rolled on it on hard ground. Another succumbed after being left in a trunk for a week that had previously had some spilled calcium chloride in it. Although the trunk had been vacummed right after, the humidity mixed with the few remaining grains of calcium chloride were enough to corrode the components so that it would only Tx for a few meters. In the end I was able to combine the guts from the broken one with the case from the corroded one, and made one good radio from the two of them. Don't get me wrong, I fully realized that both events were my fault, I'm just pointing out that this radio (and also the FT-270), may not be quite as rugged as some presume, EG, like the much pricier HT1250 perhaps.

KJ4AUR Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2009 10:45 Send this review to a friend
A good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owners of a VX-170, like myself, will experience low mic gain and modulation due to the waterproof membrane over the microphone which attenuates your voice. Often times it's necessary to "eat the mic" to get decent audio gain.

While some suggest disassembly and removing the membrane (which compromises the water resistance) there is another way to resolve this by adjusting the TX deviation in the Service Menu.

I have personally done this and the difference is huge. I am able to speak comfortably at a distance of 5 to 6 inches, whereas before, I had to speak loudly and "eat the mic".

I have confirmed I do not splatter wider than ~15 KHz, it's my understanding that the TX deviation is set to ~2.4 KHz and this adjustment sets it more closely to at/below ~5 KHz.

To do this:

Press and hold the PTT and MONI switches on the side of the VX-170 while turning the radio on. Once on, release PTT and MONI.
Press the [UP (MHz)], then [0 (SET)], then [2 (CODE)], then [2 (CODE)], then [MR (SKIP)].

If successful, the LCD will say SETRST. If not, turn the HT off and try again.

Tune to 146.050 MHz and set the TX power to LOW.

Hit the [F] key, then keep hitting the [MR] key until A03 appears in the top left of the LCD, it's in a small font, not the main display font. Turn the outer dial until the reading is set to DEV.3FH, the first means Deviation, the second is a HEX number that will change when you rotate the knob. Once set to DEV.3FH hit the PTT then the [F] key to save it. Turn off the radio and you're done.

KC5HMC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2009 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VX-170 is a great radio and at a great price. It is nice to have a handheld with a little weight and a good fit to my hand. The fact that it is waterproof, built like a tank, loud clear audio and the WX alert make this radio a great addition to anyones arsenal of radios. It's nice to see handhelds going back to a practical size!

KC9HAS Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 08:31 Send this review to a friend
A Tough little transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I honestly cant think of a single thing I dont like about this radio. Its gone everywhere with me and held up well. Well done yaesu.

WZ1P Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2009 05:08 Send this review to a friend
3 year acid test.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After three years of beating on my VX-170 it still loves me. The common complaint'sI hear about the VX-170 are:

1. It's too big and heavy. (can you say built like a brick s&%$$#@%$.)

2. You need a special speaker/mike and unscrew a top hatch and screw it in. (this radio is not just water resistant but completely waterproof!!)

3. It has a cheap belt clip. (If this beltclip was going to fail it would have happened to me. Many say it's cheap but nobody has said that it actually broke.)

4. It's only good for 2m. (No kidding. Go buy a tribander.)

5. The battery does'nt last long. ( Go buy a hi-cap after market Mr. Rachetjaw. I have never needed anything other than the original)

And of course the list goes on forever. This is a Brick. It is waterproof. It only does 2m. If you want an allband I-phone then this radio is not for you. This radio is for people that dive out of helicopters into an angry ocean form 5000'. You may be toast but your HT will still work! This HT is well on it's way to becoming a 'classic'. Not may HT's can make that claim. I would buy this HT again in a heartbeat.

Dan

KC2ULJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2009 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice durable HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great ht, lousy belt clip (plastic)trust me it is waterproof (hihi). Hits all the repeaters i need on low power and the audio is great. I also like the weather bands while hiking or fishing etc. I bought a usb programming cord and software from RT Systems, well worth the money. 73

KC2ULJ

KE5YBO Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Solid HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this as my first HT a couple of weeks ago, it works exactly as advertised. With the stock duckie it will hit a repeater 23 miles away from inside the house, with a telescoping 1/2 wave smiley antenna I get excellent signal reports.

pros
built like a tank
easy to use
good recieve sensitivity
excellent range and clarity for a HT

cons
had to remove the membrane over the mic to get good audio reports. It probably still retains pretty good waterproofing even with it removed.

belt clip is chintzy. WTF were you thinking Yaesu?

I'd give it a 4.5 if I could but overall it's a good piece of equipment with only a few minor fixable warts

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 22:01 Send this review to a friend
alsome ht  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio will get the job done for you, it is the best for the money since they are on sell for $116.00 plus shipping less than $15.00 it great. and it is not that big i dont care what some say it is built like a tank. 73's kj4aqv

KB1PYC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio in February of this year when I got my ticket. It's my primary radio for ARES and it's been working great. It's been fairly easy to program. The internet connection feature seems a little easy to accidently turn on. Other than now I wish I had a dual bander I don't really have any complaints about this radio. I used it non-stop this weekend during the ice storm and the battery lasted all day monitoring the net. I would recommend this radio to anyone. It seems very durable. My one year old daughter tries to grab it every chance she gets and she has dropped it once from about 3 feet off the hardwood floor and it was fine. I also fell once pretty hard last winter on the ice and it didn't phase it. It also worked great during the SET this year. Most of my accessories I have bought on eBay and they have all worked great too.

KE5MZP Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2008 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Granted, my first Ht is an Alinco DJ-S11(which I still have) this Yaesu is fairly impressive! I have been able to reach repeaters up to 20 miles away(good repeater and hill tops), but I reached a friend of mine on simplex, 5 watts, stock antenna, greater than 5 miles. Easy to program, battery has good life, display is readable and keypad feels nice. I wish there was a little more room between the mic plug and antenna. Antenna adapter presses against the mic plug when I'm using my mobile antenna.