Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-170 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-170
Yaesu VX-170 Reviews: 125 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Same chassis as the VX-150. WaterPROOF. 1,000 memories. 1400mAH NiMH batt pack.

Preliminary specs indicated "1,000 conventional memories." In reality, the VX-170 sports 200 conventional memories (plus a Home channel, band edges, WX channels).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-170.

KC5HMC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2009 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VX-170 is a great radio and at a great price. It is nice to have a handheld with a little weight and a good fit to my hand. The fact that it is waterproof, built like a tank, loud clear audio and the WX alert make this radio a great addition to anyones arsenal of radios. It's nice to see handhelds going back to a practical size!

KC9HAS Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2009 08:31 Send this review to a friend
A Tough little transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I honestly cant think of a single thing I dont like about this radio. Its gone everywhere with me and held up well. Well done yaesu.

WZ1P Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2009 05:08 Send this review to a friend
3 year acid test.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After three years of beating on my VX-170 it still loves me. The common complaint'sI hear about the VX-170 are:

1. It's too big and heavy. (can you say built like a brick s&%$$#@%$.)

2. You need a special speaker/mike and unscrew a top hatch and screw it in. (this radio is not just water resistant but completely waterproof!!)

3. It has a cheap belt clip. (If this beltclip was going to fail it would have happened to me. Many say it's cheap but nobody has said that it actually broke.)

4. It's only good for 2m. (No kidding. Go buy a tribander.)

5. The battery does'nt last long. ( Go buy a hi-cap after market Mr. Rachetjaw. I have never needed anything other than the original)

And of course the list goes on forever. This is a Brick. It is waterproof. It only does 2m. If you want an allband I-phone then this radio is not for you. This radio is for people that dive out of helicopters into an angry ocean form 5000'. You may be toast but your HT will still work! This HT is well on it's way to becoming a 'classic'. Not may HT's can make that claim. I would buy this HT again in a heartbeat.

Dan

KC2ULJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2009 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice durable HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great ht, lousy belt clip (plastic)trust me it is waterproof (hihi). Hits all the repeaters i need on low power and the audio is great. I also like the weather bands while hiking or fishing etc. I bought a usb programming cord and software from RT Systems, well worth the money. 73

KC2ULJ

KE5YBO Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2008 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Solid HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this as my first HT a couple of weeks ago, it works exactly as advertised. With the stock duckie it will hit a repeater 23 miles away from inside the house, with a telescoping 1/2 wave smiley antenna I get excellent signal reports.

pros
built like a tank
easy to use
good recieve sensitivity
excellent range and clarity for a HT

cons
had to remove the membrane over the mic to get good audio reports. It probably still retains pretty good waterproofing even with it removed.

belt clip is chintzy. WTF were you thinking Yaesu?

I'd give it a 4.5 if I could but overall it's a good piece of equipment with only a few minor fixable warts

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 22:01 Send this review to a friend
alsome ht  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio will get the job done for you, it is the best for the money since they are on sell for $116.00 plus shipping less than $15.00 it great. and it is not that big i dont care what some say it is built like a tank. 73's kj4aqv

KB1PYC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio in February of this year when I got my ticket. It's my primary radio for ARES and it's been working great. It's been fairly easy to program. The internet connection feature seems a little easy to accidently turn on. Other than now I wish I had a dual bander I don't really have any complaints about this radio. I used it non-stop this weekend during the ice storm and the battery lasted all day monitoring the net. I would recommend this radio to anyone. It seems very durable. My one year old daughter tries to grab it every chance she gets and she has dropped it once from about 3 feet off the hardwood floor and it was fine. I also fell once pretty hard last winter on the ice and it didn't phase it. It also worked great during the SET this year. Most of my accessories I have bought on eBay and they have all worked great too.

KE5MZP Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2008 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Granted, my first Ht is an Alinco DJ-S11(which I still have) this Yaesu is fairly impressive! I have been able to reach repeaters up to 20 miles away(good repeater and hill tops), but I reached a friend of mine on simplex, 5 watts, stock antenna, greater than 5 miles. Easy to program, battery has good life, display is readable and keypad feels nice. I wish there was a little more room between the mic plug and antenna. Antenna adapter presses against the mic plug when I'm using my mobile antenna.

KM6X Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2008 08:14 Send this review to a friend
One great HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 170 for about two years I can declare this is one solid HT. It's not the do all, excel at little like my 7R. Quality and ruggedness are up to commercial standards. I liked the quality and features so much that I added the 440 twin and the similar marine VHF with 40 LMR programmable channels to the line up at my QTH. They all share the same battery packs, speaker mics, and chargers. Adding the speaker mic corrects the low audio problem and allows positioning of the antenna for best performance, like up high or close to a window.

The good:
IPX7 rated
Commercial quality
High performance (never hear intermods)
High power and long lasting battery
Accessories interchangeable with many Yaesu HTs
Easy to program without carrying manual or pocket guide

The bad:
SMA, get the Diamond SMA/BNC adapter
Duck is junk, toss and get Diamond RH77CA
Membrane over mic causes low audio, get MH57 spk/mic
Zero button accidently brings up WIRES, lock keyboard.

Do the mods to correct the bad and you will have one high performance, submersible HT you can take anywhere. I have taken mine everywhere: flying, biking, boating, hiking, railroad......

-James
KM6X

KJ4EOZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2008 11:32 Send this review to a friend
not too bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i got this radio about two weeks ago and it works great . looking to sell it . i want a 2 meter / 440 rig . but this radio was used one time . Im selling it for $100.00 if someone wants it .
my email is on QRZ