Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 700 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 700
Grundig Satellit 700 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $450.00
Description: Large High-End AM/FM/SW/LW Digital Portable
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 700.

VK2JEM Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2017 16:49 Send this review to a friend
muting lets it down  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A long time since anyone reviewed this one.
I have had one about 6 months. Its one of those radios. too big for travel radio, too small and limited for base. OK for throwing in the car when youre on a trip.

Mine tends to lock up a lot meaning the CPU must be reset, they thoughtfully include a tool under the cover for that. Maybe they know its an issue.

Performance is good for a portable but the biggest problem is the muting when you tune via the tuning knob. Every 1KHz change and theres a moments silence and it takes half a second to unmute> This means that you you have to stop and listen every 5 Khz to see if theres a signal. This limits it when sliding around a band.

The clock on the display is very small, I wanted to use it as my bedside clock radio, but i cant read the time without my glasses.

I think these radios were good in their day, but have been surpassed.

I have Tecsun PL660 a much better radio, much smaller, much cheaper if you want a portable, and something like R71A or similar much better if you want a base.

CX6AV Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 14:02 Send this review to a friend
A great friend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was purchased this receiver used, but in nice conditions.
Im very happy with the sensibility , stability and all the functions of this receiver.
I use with rechargueable batteries, and we make the beautiful modification change for Yellow ultrabright LEDs of Display ilumination as figures in:http://www.christophlorenz.de/radio/receiver/grundig_satellit_700_led_mod.php?l=en

ZS2VJJ Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2011 12:08 Send this review to a friend
I like the rig very much!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a very good receiver.
I have got it for 6 months and was very happy. Unfortunately, it went faulty: no AM, but FM is OK. Some times AM workes for a few second after switching ON. Looks like it is a temperature related problem. I have conducted complete re-adjustment in accordance with Service Manual, but it did not help. I need a block diagram and a SMD componets layout of the RF board. May be somebody had the same problem.

Val

CT1DGN Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2010 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Almost perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not German made but made in A2 (Ausland Werk 2 founded in 1965) Grundig plant just here in Braga, Portugal.
This great radio is an upgrade (double side PCB) from 500 like Satellit 650 is an upgrade from 600.
They were designed by Elmar Schips, now retired in Nuerberg.
I have a Satellit 650 as well as a Yachtboy 500.
You will never get this quality anymore spite of not made USA or Deutschland... Mit freundlich grossen! I'm in qrz.com, ciao!

W5DXE Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Best Portable Reciever Period  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know that some of the Sony 2010 cult followers would argue my statement but I have owned both and except for the fact that the 700 doesn't have the air bands, it is no contest. The 700 blows the 2010 away in all areas. Audio, selectivity, sensitivity etc, etc. I have (2) 700s and am selling one to buy it's big brother the 650. IF you have one hold on to it. There isn't anything out there close to it in a portable platform.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2009 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this for unit for years (got it new) and have really enjoyed it. It can store many frequencies in memory, but I have never used the memory bank because direct keypad tuning is so convenient.

There are just four things that I don't like, but even so, I still give it a 5/5 because the receiver is so good for this size of radio..

1. When using the "line out" jack to drive an external audio amp, AM broadcast stations will distort on audio peaks when the RF gain is in "AGC" mode. Backing down the AGC manually will eliminate this. No big deal because most of us do not use external audio amps with this unit.

2. The RF jack is non-standard. You can get the adapter, but the RF jack is still a little on the weak side. I opened my unit up and replaced it with a type-F connector. Problem solved. Again, most people will probably not use external antenna.

3. It is missing some frequency spectrum between 353 and 528 KHz. That's in the NDB band and I'd really like to receive that but can't.

4. For some reason, my backlight stays on very dim all the time even when the unit is turned off and running on batteries. I can't get it to go off no matter what - tried everything. I can't use the unit on battery power because in a few days the batteries are dead because of the light. Probably just a freak problem that is very rare.

Overall, I would recommend this receiver to a friend with a five star rating.

Derek N4DBM.

KB9GPN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2006 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Years of Enjoyment in Broadcast Listening  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new about a year after they became available in the USA. Hasn't missed a beat.

This is not a receiver to match my ham gear, but it is heads and shoulders above the typical SW portable. At least heads and shoulders over the couple dozen other SW receivers I've owned only to later sell or give away.

Used pricing makes this an inexpensive purchase for a European Designed & Built Radio (not necessarily German built though).

Mine has gone all over North America with me and been a pleasure to own.

Steve
K9ZW (ex-KB9GPN)

DB2EH Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2005 03:52 Send this review to a friend
topsound, good quality travelradio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have owned a new 700 in the past, changed it to a furher new SONY 2010 course the dealer didnt pay back. Reason for that returning: The 700s PLL phasejitter which becomes noticable when listening to SSB sigs at lower volumes. The 2010 SSB sounds clean, (after the AGC has been modified).
Its disadvantage is the resolution of 100Hz.
(Would be ok, if the 2010`s LO would not drift or if it would have a clarifier).
Im owning a dozen different receivers of this - and smaller categories -, homebrew ones and ham gear. A clean and finetunable SSB reception is always a major criteria for me, this beside
frequency stability. As these radios are portables
Im not expecting comercial level intermod qualifictions. At least SSB should sound well.
Shure, the GRUNDIG 700 is still a fantastic portable receiver with an unbeatable good sound.

N0HK Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2004 14:27 Send this review to a friend
High end radio for SWLs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for approximately 8 years. While it lacks the resolution that hams are accustomed to for sideband listening, its intended audience is more SWLs. The external antenna port is a non-standard (for US) connector, but a connector is supplied with the radio. I have used both a multiband dipole and the built in antenna for SW broadcast and HF ham listening. The built in antenna is best for strong signals.

The resolution of 100 hz for SSB is a bit of an obstacle, but it has a clarifier dial on the side to bring in SSB signals fairly clearly with practice. It's definitely no HF ham rig, but the receiver is acceptably sensitive. The RF gain control can be set to "auto" or manually adjusted.

The audio on this radio is outstanding. It has a built in speaker approximately 4" in diameter, as well as a stereo line out and a stereo headphone jack. Mono signals are split to simulate stereo output.

The volume, bass and treble adjustment knobs are on the left side, and the frequency tuning knob, RF gain and clarifier controls on the right side. Operating this radio is a two handed endeavor. Frequencies can be entered directly from the keypad on the face of the radio. The radio has 512 presets divided into 64 groups of 8 presets. The memories can be expanded up to 2048 by the addition of "memofile" memory chips. These "memofiles" are still available from Universal Radio for about $17 apiece. The memofiles are non-volitile, and retain their contents even when removed. Each group of 8 can be individually named, which is handy for SW broadcast stations that change frequencies depending on time of day. The memory function is not intuitive, but is not too difficult to learn.

The original price was over $500, and these radios seem to be selling around $250 - $350 on EBay. Instruction manuals are available for download on the "Grundig Radioboy" web site: http://www.geocities.com/grundigradioboy/ins.htm.

Grundig/Eton (Lektronics) no longer provides factory repair for this radio, but they will provide a service manual (unknown cost) to any repair shop that asks.

The radio was discontinued in 1996 in favor of the Satellit 900, which was never released. The Satellit 800 from Drake came out as a belated replacement. Grundig/Eton has announced that the Satellit 900 with the addition of XM satellite radio receive is due out the last quarter of 2004. This would be a more direct replacement of the 700 since the size, weight and controls are very similar.

All in all, the Satellit 700 is an excellent all around receiver. It is definitely on my "never sell" list.

TOMMYT Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2003 19:23 Send this review to a friend
I Miss it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned a Grundig 700 for about 10 years. It was a great sounding radio. I sold it recenlty and I wish I never did. Although I bought a 800, I really miss the 700's size and operations. If anyone else wants to sell their 700, think before you act....I wish I did.