Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 700 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 700
Grundig Satellit 700 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $450.00
Description: Large High-End AM/FM/SW/LW Digital Portable
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 700.

DO3VF Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2002 02:31 Send this review to a friend
10 Years in use  Time owned: more than 12 months
Buying my first Satellit 700 at X-mas 1991, I am using it now over 10 Years. Compared it with Sony's SW 77 and 2010, Sangean 909 and 818, and Satellit 500, 650 and 800. The Satellit 700 beats'em all. Easy to operate (It's a nightmare to store or recall frequencies at the SW 77). Satellit 700 has very good manual gain control, excellent noiseless AF section and features like FM-RDS and mass-storage makes it to the best protable sw receiver you can obtain. I like the manually controlled pre-seletion, the turning-knobs for tone and volume and the real tuningknob. Also the SSB fine-tuning is an advanced feature. Satellit 700 IS NOT a battery-eater ( as Sony is )Today it's used value is even higher than the new price !! I run the 700 with no external antenna, except for AM receiption. Also S 700 is a real portable radio with a real handle (compared to SW 77). The only thing is the sych. detector; here Sony's SW 77 is better. Big deal..... I own 8 (eight) Satellit 700, 4 of'em NEW IN BOX! Never would sell it. Did you know that there is a book "The great Satellit 700" is available at Universal-Radio-Inc.?

HFHAM Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2001 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Great audio for a portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent all-rounder with probably the best audio of a *truly* portable AM/FM/SW radio available. Pretty sensitive and selective. The RDS and memory "page" naming facility are nice touches. The fact that you can recharge (albeit trickle-charge) Ni-cads in the radio is great.

The fly in the ointment with this radio is the synchronous detector. It works to some extent but not as good as the one on the Sony ICF-2010. That said however, the audio on this radio beats the 2010 hands-down.

The sync detector on the Sat 700 is let down by the fact that it introduces an annoying rumble to the received audio. This can be alleviated (not eliminated) by rolling back the "bass" control, however, in doing this, you lose the real advantage that this radio has (i.e. nice rich-sounding audio). Also, you can't de-tune it much before it loses lock when trying to eliminate QRM.

I wish I'd never sold mine and if they were still available (new) I'd probably buy another. Why they replaced this fine radio with the big, boxy, Satellit 800 is beyond me.

All in all, the Grundig Satellit 700 is a truly classy radio. A modern Zenith Trans-Oceanic !

W5XTC Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2000 18:51 Send this review to a friend
On e of the classics for broadcast listening.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I only gave the (great) Satellit 700 a "four" because I suspect most folks reading this would give greater importance to SW and SSB than I do. As Radio Netherlands points out, the 700 is really only fair as a SW receiver. I listen a great deal to MW myself, with SW and broadcast FM as supplements. Where the 700 really shines is in ergonomics, convenience, and features. It's a big, solid portable that sounds great and has lots of inputs and outputs. It's also the ONLY portable that I've ever tried that really can handle and benefit from an external antenna hook-up. The LED display and memory functions are best-in-class for my money. It's got (stereo!) external speaker outputs if you choose to listen that way. It's got stereo RCA outputs, like a real piece of audio equipment, that are great for recording or amplifying the signal. The timer can control a recorder. It's the only portable I've used that you can hook a bunch of things up to - external antenna, record out, external speaker, power supply - and not flop around like a broken toy or have connections shake loose. I've tried 6 or 8 receivers, and the 700 is the workhorse I've stuck with for day-in, day-out broadcast listening. If you're a DX'er or demand the highest SW audio quality, look elsewhere. But for casual broadcast listening, the 700 is hard to beat.