Reviews Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | Midland WR-100 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Midland WR-100 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio
Midland WR-100 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio Reviews: 34 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Weather/All Hazards alert radio; S.A.M.E. Localized reception; all 7 N.O.A.A. Channels; Digital front panel display; 25 Programmable Counties; User selectable warning system; Choice of Voice, Siren, or Tone Alert; Time, Date & Alarm Clock with full display; Emergency power back-up -- uses 3 AA Batteries(not included); Wall Adapter Included
More info: http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3105

You can write your own review of the Midland WR-100 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio.

K9ASE Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2014 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is easy to set up and receives well.
For $30 or less some places this radio gives you great peace of mind during severe weather season.

NU0C Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2013 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Everyone needs a SAME radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just bought a second unit at a Goodwill store for 4 bucks because the first one has been working so well. I've owned it for three or four years now, and it always screams bloody murder during severe weather alerts for my county. The Goodwill unit came with no AC adapter, but preliminary testing with batteries went well. For those in a similar predicament, the AC adapter required is 12VDC @ 200mA, center positive. The most interesting part is that the serial number of the Goodwill radio is only 31 higher than my other one.

I came here to read the reviews and see if anyone knows anything about the clone function. Seeing the bad reviews, I did what any self-respecting tinkerer would do: I took it apart to see what was inside! There are two obvious screws at the rear, and two hidden screws under the rubber feet.

The first thing I noticed was the wires. The speaker and battery wires are not the wimpy junk that I often see in cheap consumer radios, and actually look like they have some substance. After several minutes of maneuvering the case halves every which way to look at stuff none of the wires had broken off their connections. Build quality seems good, and the markings on the PCBA read WR100PCB, REV.7, 11-Jan-06. Both units display VERSION 4 on power up. There is a mix of SMT and through-hole components on a single PCBA that looks to be good quality glass-epoxy. The "brains" of the unit appears to be an embedded chip under a glop of epoxy - not at all replaceable. The other ICs have their markings filed off, but I suspect they are generic components. A sticker attached to the PCBA suggests a manufacture date code of 03A06. Some of the components in the front end are secured with what looks to be bee's wax for stability. The EXT ALERT jack looks like an open collector transistor switched to ground. Crystals of 10.25, 10.15, and 1.8432 MHz are soldered to the board, as well as a 32.768 KHz cylindrical presumably for the realtime clock. Also present is a black brick IF filter of the type commonly found in consumer radios marked CQ 33-450E. The speaker is an 8 Ohm, .5 Watt unit. Saving the best for last, it looks like the board is built with tin/lead solder! I deal with repair of no-lead RoHS stuff every day, this is better!

Overall, I am happy with the build and performance of my radio. The whip antenna mount is pretty wimpy as someone else described, so perhaps a drop of oil on the whip pivot is called for. Reading the complaints of failed units that were squealing makes me wonder if Midland's supplier didn't get ahold of some junk electrolytic capacitors. There are a two in particular that are near what I believe to be the audio PA (U2) that would be worth looking at. My original unit has been in continuous service since I bought it and has not suffered from this. Sensitivity seems good, although I only live a few miles from our local 1KW weather transmitter. The alarm will wake the dead, and I have no problem being awakened by it two rooms away behind a closed door.

A happy customer.

Jim
NU0C
SkyWarn spotter

K4VO Rating: 0/5 Aug 17, 2013 15:25 Send this review to a friend
I retract my remarks  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my original review 2 of 3 radios have failed. The same problem others have experienced, A LOUD SQUEAL ON ALL CHANNELS.
I have NO FAITH in Midland and will look elsewhere for QUALITY.

KF4QVB Rating: 1/5 Nov 16, 2011 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Loud Squeal after 1 Yr  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent Radio, all functions worked for approximately a year. Then stopped receiving and just has a loud squeal on all channels. Old Radio Shack weather radio going strong 10+ years. Going back to Radio Shack purchase a newer updated radio.

WB4QNG Rating: 1/5 Apr 23, 2011 19:52 Send this review to a friend
It isn't very good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like another said it worked fine for a few months. Now it does nothing. It just goes off when it wants too. Had a haz mat spill it didn't go off for the alarm but went off when they sounded all clear. It went off for the flood alert but when they sounded a tordato warning it just sat there. I order me another brand and this one went into the garbage before I get kill depending on it.

W2MN Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2010 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised. Wish it blocked certain types of alarms  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a Radio Shack 12-249 that worked perfectly for 14yrs except the speaker sound got scratchy and hard to understand. The Radio Shack gives an alarm and voice announcement on the Wed test. This is very annoying after a few weeks (it gets out of town visitors really excited).

Now have the Midland WR100. Works perfectly and gives only a display for the Wed test; GREAT.

I find the "alarm clock" feature useless. Wish it totally silenced the radio during selected hours. I guess I don't care about thunderstorms and flooded roads while I'm sleeping.

NOW if only these radios had the ability to block voice announcement of certain types of weather alarms that are of no interest (or select types that are of interest). We are concerned with tornadoes and thunderstorms. We don't give a hoot about flooding.

If someone published a "hack" (or a low cost mod kit) to do this, I would get out my soldering iron tomorrow.

One possible mod is to shut off the voice (or make the level very low)for "advisory / watch" (yellow/orange) and allow only the red light alerts to pass audio loud. Would still prefer to select the type of weather.

KC9DDI Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2010 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Does its job  Time owned: more than 12 months
We use this in our camp office at a Scout Camp. Its pretty much set it and forget it - just program it with the right channel and SAME codes, and it just sits out of the way until an alert tone is broadcast. The alarm is loud, easily heard throughout the building. The display is large and easy to read. The menu system is a little clunky, but really only needs to be set once. Never had any trouble with the receiver, speaker or antenna. Pretty cheap, but does the job just fine for us.

G4IRX Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2010 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Good RX but flimsy antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Paid USD39 at Best Buy for use whilst travelling in the US and to find out more about the US Weather Radio service. I wish we had something similar in the UK.
The RX itself performed well, seemed to be able to find a signal whilst travelling in OH, KY, TN, MO. Received a couple of Tornado warnings when driving up I-75 in Ohio. Being a fixed-station receiver I discovered it is necessary to re-tune the channel when travelling around.
The built-in telescopic antenna gave up on me after a couple of days. The rotating joint was very stiff and the plastic disintegrated where the antenna base is screwed to the chassis. I removed the whip and made my own antenna using a right-angled F-type adaptor 278-260 from Radio Shack, cutting down a TV patch lead to make a flexible monopole - worked a treat.

It earned it's keep on this trip, but for the next one I will replace it with something like a scanner that will auto-tune.

N0JYC Rating: 0/5 Apr 4, 2010 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Terrible weather radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worked ok the first few months I had it and then quit decoding the SAME. Out of warranty. Piece of junk.

AD5VM Rating: 4/5 Jun 21, 2009 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Unit works as promised. I just wish it was easier to change channels. (must be done in the simple menu)
A good choice tho.