Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7800 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7800
Kenwood TR-7800 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$365.00
Description: Kenwood 25 watt 2 meter mobile/base transciever

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7800.

K2GAV Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2012 04:04 Send this review to a friend
The old girl is FIXED!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thanks to the help of another ham who read and responded to my previous post, my one-owner TR-7800 is now fixed and working like new! Yes, as hes said, the original Mitsubishi M57733 is replaceable by an available M57737. The price was reasonable, so I purchased one and, it works!
I also installed a ComSpec SS-64 PL encoder, as no 2m radio is really useful these days without PL. Happily, many repeaters in Connecticut use 77.0 Hz, so the old girl is now hitting repeaters again!
Maybe it wasn't worth the ~$85 it took to make it useful again, but hey, it was my first new ham radio, so nostalgia took over!

K2GAV Rating: 3/5 Jan 11, 2012 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Bought new, but output PA not robust  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new way back in, I think, 1980. I used it a lot and was quite satisfied. I added a mod to hear the touch tones, and to charge the memory batteries when connected to power, with NiCad batteries installed.

The final PA module died just as it went out of warranty. Kenwood did send me a free replacement though, and I commend them for that. However about five years later the replacement also died, and since they are not available, it's now a parts donor. I'd love to restore it if I could only find a new final module.

KB1SBR Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2009 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first radio I ever bought. One of my buddies let me borrrow his old Realistic HTX-202. Don't get me wrong, that was a nice solid, bullet proof radio, but I wanted something that I could call "mine". So I went on ebay, and I found this radio for $45. The only problem, was that the memory batteries were shot. Now that you know how I got the radio, I'll give my review of it.

The radio itself, is kind of on the larger side, compared to the newer radios. Try to make sure you get the manual when you purchase the radio. I searched everywhere, and after about 2 weeks of searching, I eneded up paying $15-$20 for one. Everything is pretty simple to use.

PROS- Good looking
Functions well
Cheap if you know where to look
Awesome and fun to use

CONS- Internal memory batteries tend to go
If you're going to run it as a base, the cord where you connect it to the power supply is kind of on the small side
Manuals are hard to come by

KC2BNX Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2006 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Older quality 2m rig with the basics  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up this radio at a hamfest in CT. Was looking for a simple 2m packet radio for a fixed station and this one is perfect. Its built like a tank and handles like one too! Also follows the K.I.S.S. principle - no complicated, confusing, vague and obscure functions to memorize. I love the 80's design layout of this radio - RED LEDS! Pick it up and it feels like a solid brick - can't say its a small radio so you may have trouble fitting it in some places. It doesn't have pl tones and the design of the backup memory system isn't that great. If you leave the power off to the radio for a while you will loose all the memory contents but thats not too much of a problem for me I guess since I'm only using it for local packet operations. You can also put in a pl circuit to access your favorite repeaters so that shouldn't really be a problem if you'd like to have that in it. It does 25W on high, 5W on low and draws about 8.5 amps max for my particular unit. Also does the standard 2m splits for repeaters and I think it does do DTMF as well. If you're looking for a good 2m packet radio and find one of these for the right price then get it. It is a simple, no frils 2m rig that will serve you well for years to come. I would rate this radio a 4.5 because its still going strong after 20+ years of service but can only give it a 4 out of 5.

- KC2BNX