Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Beyer DT-109 Headset Help

Reviews Summary for Beyer DT-109 Headset
Beyer DT-109 Headset Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$349.00
Description: Headset with a boom mic
More info: http://www.beyerdynamic.com

You can write your own review of the Beyer DT-109 Headset.

N1EU Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Pro Quality Headset with smooth audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the chance to pick up a Beyerdynamic DT-109 at a good price so I grabbed it. I had to find a 5-pin female XLR connector so I could wire an adapter from the DT-109's 5-pin male XLR to the radio, but that wasn't too difficult a task.

This is a pro audio product, definitely a level above the Heil headset in build quality. The mic audio is smoother than the Heil and lower in output level, but drove the Orion with no problem. By varying the transmit equalization of the Orion, I was able to go from smooth rag chewing audio to punchy, sharp dx/contest audio. I preferred the Beyerdynamic mic audio to the Heil HC-5. Several audio smart hams that I worked specifically commented on the excellent clarity of the mic audio when compared to my Marshall MXL condensor mic.

The 50-ohm headphone efficiency is a tad low. My K3 could drive the phones fine but my Orion needed 100% AF Gain to attain my normal listening level. But the headphone audio quality is excellent - good bass response and smooth treble that rolls off slowly above 10Khz. Although my Sennheiser HD-280 has a more extended treble response than the DT-109, I actually prefer the listenability of the DT-109 - it helps mellow the harsh transmit audio that is frequently heard on the bands. The DT-109 provides a fairly good level of isolation from room noise.

Highly recommended. In rating the DT-109, I used the following equipment for testing/comparison: Ten-Tec Orion, Elecraft K3, Sennheiser HD-280 pro headphones, Heil Pro Set and Marshall MXL 2003 mic, Aphex 230 audio processor.

(I'm resubmitting this review after using the DT-109 for a while longer since the DT-109 undoubtedly deserves a 5 rating, and there's no provision to edit reviews)

PA5EA Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2005 23:16 Send this review to a friend
Very robust & comfortable headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being faced to replace the earpads of my Heil Pro yet another time, I decided to look for something more robust.
I have read the review of the DT-109 headset and it appeared that I could buy it here in Singapore for a very reasonable price (S$380 which equals to about Euro 170, only slightly more expensive than the Heil Pro). The quality is much better than the Heil. Earpads are bigger and thicker (tend to heat up you ears though, but you can buy spare ones made of fabric) and the speakers give a very good audio quality. I bought the DT109 in the 2 x 50 ohm version because the FT1000MP cannot cope with higher impedances very well (like the Heil).
The headband is made of steel and has a nice padding. In contrast to the Heil this one will not break. Adjusting the headband is easy by a smooth sliding mechanism.

The microphone has a broad bandwidth, and is more suited for a casual local rag-chew than for DX or contest type of contacts. However, any audio processor (like the one of the 1000MP) can enhance the DX punch to a large extent. The mic is very sensitive, and switching on the monitor on the 1000MP will immediately start a feedback tone. I do not understand this, maybe I induced the feedback electrically by some common mode issue due to the wiring (had to use a 4 pin XLR with mic shield and speaker minus poles tied together to one common ground).
The mic boom and housing are again very robust. The boom can be turned upwards in case of listening only in non-phone modes.
Although fairly minor, these mic. issues forced me to go for a '4' rather than a '5'. For sure, having had a Heil Pro for many years, this headset is much better value for money, and with the 50 ohm speakers it matches a lot better to the 1000MP.

-- Enno, 9V1CW - PF5X

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2005 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Deluxe Headset.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Want a serious headset? The Beyer DT-109 is the standard of sportscasters around the world. I use them here at work and have found them to be very rugged and extremely high performance. This headset is as much at home in a ham shack,as on camera or behind the scenes.

Not unlike a Heil, this boom set combines a top-notch set of over the ear 'phones with a broadcast quality noise-concealing mic on a boom. The phones are reasonably high impedance (400 ohms) full range type, the over ear design really seals the outside world out. I find that they do an amazing job bringing QSO's close up. The higher impedance does a good job of keeping incidental RX noise (like AF amp hiss) at bay, yet are sensitive enough to play quite loudly if desired.

The mic is a noise concealing dynamic type, with a wide (40-12 KHz) frequency response with a slight rise in the 2 KHz audio area. The mic is a low impedance type, and will drive a load 600 Ohms or higher without much fuss. An integrated replaceable pop filter controls plosive sounds (P-pops) and the hyper-cardio pattern keeps external noise out of the transmission. The mic output level is on the low side, so some rigs will require a pre-amp. (Older Icoms come to mind here) It works fine on my Ten-Tec. The sound is extremely smooth and rich with good articulation.

In interesting note, when you buy the phones you will need to adapt the cable to work with your equipment. The phones are provided with several cable options, none of which are plug 'n play compatible with any ham gear I am aware of. I purchased mine with the 5 pin XLR and created a cast box to house the PTT switch as well as break out the headphone and mic connections. I have done this here at work countless times so I had practice, except the PTT is a "cough" switch that mutes mic audio when pressed. The mic output is balanced and should match to most transceivers. Also the phones can be wired as stereo, binaural or monaural depending on your operating requirements.

All parts of this headset is available as a spare part, it's modular so parts just plug together when replacements are necessary.

On the negative, the headset weighs in at a somewhat portly 14 ounces, this may or may not be a problem, it just depends on you. It's not a featherweight by any stroke of the imagination.

If you want to move up to a quality headset and want something unique like the big guys use, this is worth a good look.