Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 500 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 500
Grundig Satellit 500 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: (missing—add Description)
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 500.

DXACE1 Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2014 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Classic from the 80's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the SAT 700 and the SAT 500, actually purchased the 500 before the 700 some years ago. I ended up selling the 700 -- sounds crazy, but I just prefer both the appearance of the 500, and its sound, to the 700, despite the much-improved features of the other. These are classic receivers and can compete very well with any portable on the market today, except for the SYNC on the 500, which was not really refined at all.

KP4FAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for SW & FM listening  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not necessarily an equal with the Sony ICF 2010 but an excellent shortwave set from the 90s. I got man as part of a trade with dead AM bands. The problem was related to the usual suspect C138. The position of the variable cap was carefully marked and I rotated it from one side to the other returning it to the original position. This was enough to get the AM bands back. Eventually this cap may have to be replaced.
The radio is solid and of excellent quality. The audio is superb and reception with the telescopic antenna is very good but not as good as the Sony 2010 or Tecsun PL 660 or Kaito 1103. FM reception is great. I like the antenna tuning option. SSB is excellent. With an external antenna it can capture good DX. The memory functions are primitive by today's standards but I seldom use them. Tone controls help a lot on shortwave and FM. It is not portable also by today's standards. Is a table radio. It can also be serviced reasonably well. The Satellit 500 is a legacy of the times when it was made.

N4BRJ Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2006 10:18 Send this review to a friend
A True Classic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
They say that true classics never go out of style, the Satellit 500 proves this to be true.

The radio is lighter than it's size would have you think.

As others have stated before, the audio is EXCELLENT, perfect for "program" listening.

Sensitivity and selectivity are nearly as good as my SONY 2010.

Should you ever happen across one, grab it!

HOUSTON Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2003 21:40 Send this review to a friend
An excellent Set  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a heavy FM user, I have found this set to be excellent indeed. Sensitivity is very good that becomes superb with amplified antenna (I live in an apartment block). Audio--the hallmark of Grunding--is what we expect particularly with the aptly effective base and tone controls. Stereo sound with headphones, or with additional speaker, (that works as the left one with the set's speaker as the right) is very enjoyable.

The 43 memories do come as handy and are largely adequate. The two clocks are useful for auto operation, if needed. The built-in battery charger is an effective and useful concept. The batteries add weight to the set that enhance the its solid feel, quality and--strange as it sounds--improves its excellent portability.

Further, with its built-in antenna, the set works competently with AM and shortwave stations I often visit (e.g., BBC, DW, CBC, VOA).

Clearly a well-designed and well-executed set in terms of function and form. The set compares very well with Grunding Satellit 700, YB500, and YB400.

KE4-GTI Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2002 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having read the review mentioning finding a Satellit 500 in the trash I was compelled to write this. Being a HAM, many pieces of equipment have come and gone over the years. Unfortunately, this was to be a lean Christmas here and I thought I sure would like to have that old 500 back, but I've traded it off. Poking around in a little used closet what did I find? A little used, pristine 500! I would not go so far as to call it a miracle, but I'm pleased with my "free" Christmas! The *real* Grundigs, ending with the 700 exude a build quality and performance not found in this class. I was considering an 800 Millinium, but the cash has only been flowing *one way* recently due to downsizing at work. As for a tabletop portable I'm very pleased and grateful. Of course my JRC 535 was for a different role and exceeds any portables performance but we were speaking of the 500, or were we speaking of a small miracle ;-)
Steve

DOCFISHER Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2002 23:49 Send this review to a friend
An OUTSTANDING receiver with fantastic audio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Grundig Satellit 500 was rescued from the top of a trash pail. It ranks among the finest radios I ever purchased - nevermind FOUND.

The audio is so crisp and realistic I feel that the radio announcer on my favorite classical station is sitting across from me at the same table! Listening to music even at very low volume provides a degree of sound quality that needs to be experienced.

The shortwave performance is great, and the features are all I need as a casual SWL. The scanning features could be better, but this does not bother me since I really don't use this feature.

One thing that had to be repaired was the battery connection inside the unit. There is a small, bent metal finger-like strip that makes contact with the circuit board connecting the DC supply from the batteries to the circuit board. The "finger" rests against the circuit with slight pressure. Every time the radio was bumped slightly it lost power. I corrected this by jumping the metal pressure connection with a wire. In fact, it is probably due to this quirk that the radio was thrown away since everything else works perfectly!

The radio is a very managable size, and the sturdy handle folds out of the way when used on a tabletop. If you plan to acquire a Satellit 500, I am sure you would not be disapointed at all.