Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Zenith 7000y Transoceanic Help

Reviews Summary for Zenith 7000y Transoceanic
Zenith 7000y Transoceanic Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $325
Description: Last series of the old Zenith Transoceanics. All trnasisgorized with FM broadcast and WX band.

You can write your own review of the Zenith 7000y Transoceanic.

KE4NU Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Top of the Line for its day  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really got lucky and got one of these units in great shape with service manual and owners manual(not copies)for 15 bucks. An aquaintance found it at an estate sale, bought it and couldn't get it to work. He wanted to trade it for an old cheap lamp I had that I had paid $15 for. I took the back cover off and saw a battery was incorrectly installed. I put it in place and it started playing. Wow, I had alway wanted one of these and finally got one. Its since developed agc trouble I'm sure from being old and a cap drying out. On AM band this thing is a monster. I have serveral modern hi end digital rigs and nothing comes close. SW, well it does the job ok. FM and WX band are very good too. All I need is a real power cord. I jury rigged one and it runs on batteries too. Bottom line it was the best in the 70's and still is going.

N4YWG Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2009 00:23 Send this review to a friend
I Love Mine !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine as a kid, and still use it. However, it IS getting old, and needs TLC. That said, it still sounds as great as it ever did, and AM/FM especially sound good. A few years ago, a friend and I sprayed DeOXIT on the pots and tuner to get all the scratchiness out. Since then, I've listened to numerous shortwave broadcasts, also using it as a background FM music source (instead of using my big stereo).

I have yet to fix my dial and map lights, which will require more disassembly to get to those circuits for examination. Hopefully, all that will be wrong will be only blown-out bulbs. The S-meter/Battery meter works.

I only gave it a 4-rating because it's not a newer, more-accurate tuner. Otherwise this is a great old classic to pass on to the next generation.

KF6JSA Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2008 22:35 Send this review to a friend
A great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first used a transoceanic D7000y as a boy when a friend from my church let me borrow one. After 25 years of SW listening with a tabletop kenwood R1000,I wanted a radio I could take camping and run on batteries in emergencies. When I got mine,the first thing I noticed was the rich tone. There is a wonderful warmth and low end with the D7000y that you don't hear on the R1000. After being spoiled by LED Frequency readouts and the instant SSB reception of the R1000, It was really fun to go back to my roots and hunt for stations on an analog dial.
While the telescopic antenna works ok,
reception improved greatly when I connected the D7000Y to a coaxial fed longwire via a balun box. While not as sensitive in receiving weak stations as the R1000, The D7000Y did better than I expected in the low power shortwave spectrum. This radio was built long before PLL tuning and modern noise blankers and is more affected by noise and interference. An antenna tuner significantly reduces noise and improves reception with this unit. The radio actually has better selectivity the the R1000 in both the wide and narrow bandwidth settings. It also has a manual RF Gain switch and a manual BFO. One of the interesting things about this unit is that full shortwave coverage stops at 10.1 Mghz with bandspread tuning for the 31,25,19,16 and 13 meter bands. This is ok if you have two stations close together and you need to tune out one,but you can't hear stations on the newer 22 meter band, nor the 20,15 and ten meter ham bands. All in all though a great performer and a really good radio.

BOSWELL Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2007 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio I Own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own six shortwave radios, two of them Trans-Oceanics, and the Royal 7000 is by far the best. Tonal quality is amazing compared to modern receivers and sensitivity and selectivity are superb. SSB contacts are easily made with the BFO which takes only a minute or so to get used to. I was able to recieve signals for South Africa and East Asia in Eastern North America and the broadcasts to my region come booming in loud and clear. The wide/narrow swich is effective, but it is hardly needed, as the selectivity and image rejection is above par. This radio, made in 1968, can still hold its own against modern recievers.

N4VNV Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2006 06:58 Send this review to a friend
PRETTY GOOD BUT..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had Zeniths in France and Viet Nam and they were fine! But in 1967 I purchased a Braun Station T-1000. NOTHING beats one of these from the old days. It covered 13 SW bands, AM, FM and had a bfo for ssb tuning. A fine tuner and a signal boost. External antenna and ground connections. The contacts on the cylinder for each band were gold plated. It also had an antenna tuner (manual) built-in! They called it a "padder". AC or "D" batteries. The speaker was about 8" high and 3.5" wide. Talk about a "Cadillac"! I can send a photo to anyone interested. I sold mine after it gave me eleven years of GREAT service. I've regretted it every since. I sold it to a fellow Army guy name of John Dodge. I would love to get my T-1000 back someday. (it was heavier than the Zenith)

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2006 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Quality still tells!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There's something about things that are well made; and that certainly includes electronic equipment. As other reviewers have ably stated, the Zenith (7000DY in my case) performs extremely well and was the best of its time. It still is superb, but it also has the right feel and looks that put up above other units that may perform equivalently. And for campers, nothing performs better around a campsite (Yes, it IS hefty). If you can't afford to treat yourself too often electronically, consider the Transoceanic 7000DY. If it isn't up to expectations, it will still return great value on ebay.

KC7JBB Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2005 19:14 Send this review to a friend
A real listening pleasure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the T-1000 and a rather poor example of a T-3000 also. I have to say, this last of the great line of Commander McDonalds TO's represents it's heratige well, sensitivity and selectivity are excellent, but the most pleasurable part is the tonal quality considering it is a solid state set. I saw a T-1000 for sale years before and could not afford it then, but the beutiful brushed aluminimum cabinet, the compass rose and the shortwave dial selector left a lasting impression burned into my mind, of listening to far off and strange lands. About twenty years later when I discovered e-bay I had my dream answeared, to own probably the most representative sample of quality American manufacturing and marketing in casual audio ever created. Oh my yb-400, Sangean 909, Degan 1103 are far more versital and the analog tuning is no match for the precise digital radios but the big old TO still has a mystique about it and each time I turn it on my mind begins to take me to those far off and strange lands.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Last American SW portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the successor to the 1000/3000 series Trans Oceanic and really the last well made American portable SW receiver. While this radio isn't quite as elegant looking as the 3000 series IMHO, it is a better performer and doesn't suffer the cosmetic issues or other short comings of the earlier model.
This model (there were actually 3 different chassis groups for this model) has better selectivity as well as an added wide/narrow filter choice, BFO, meter for batt & signal and added the 15m amat band along with the 13m international BC band. Also the VHF weather band has been added. The earlier chassis has one channel weather capability with a crystal, the latter chassis is tunable in the weather portion of the VHF band.

This radio sounds somewhat better, more dynamic than it's earlier cousin the 1000/3000 series. Sensitivity seems about the same but as stated the 7000 is more selective in a crowded band. The built in BFO works well but gets very touchy in the higher frequencies. The cabinet used in this series is also far more durable than the earlier 1000/3000 series. Things to watch for are the latter versions used vinyl sides that tend to come unglued. Other than that there aren't too many flaws with this radio. In the Zenith tradition this is also a hard wired "point to point" chassis.

HAWKDOME Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2005 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first major purchase out of colege. It replaced my H500 as my primary receiver. I logged over 100 contacts on it and still use it today. It has a battery life of over 300 hours on 9 D cells. I recently repurchased from an old friend and it still works great. No digital, but GREAT SOUND!!!!!!. I also have used it with modest outside antennas and loops. It was turned on first i the morning and turned off the last thing at night. With the BFO and patience I could get SSB contacts. Now, in the zenith (pun intended) of my life, it is like an old friend. You can still find them, but they are very pricey. I have been offered over $600 for it, and declined. It still is a great radio. I know most would disagree, but to me it is a 5!