Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICF-4920 Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICF-4920
Sony ICF-4920 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $149.00 in the 1980s-early 90s
Description: General coverage AM/FM/SW receiver with 7 bands on SW.

You can write your own review of the Sony ICF-4920.

KE9PP Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2010 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Receive Capabilities  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can second the previous review. This is a hidden gem for the casual Short Wave Listener.

What amazed me when I purchased it many years ago (and STILL continues to amaze me) is that I was able to hear a multitude of SW broadcast stations, both day and night, just laying in the bedroom of my house, and the house is ALUMINUM SIDED! One would thing that the aluminum would act as a Faraday Shield, yet signals came booming in.

It is perfect for listening in the park, patio, hotel room or wherever you happen to be.

I love it!

SLIDERULEX Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2005 23:10 Send this review to a friend
My first World Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio back in the late 1980's. At the time, it was pretty expensive, but because it was a Sony and really well made and quite small, I decided to get it for its strong AM/FM and SW performance. Not many people know about this radio, but I am here to promote it because I think that it does what it does very well.

Tuning:
Tuning is analog dial and has a very nice solid feel to it. I enjoy the ACT of tuning this radio! It is also analog station readout as the selector bar goes up and down as you tune, showing which frequency you're currently at. It's old school, but I like it. Volume control is also done using a dial and it has a nice fell to it too.

Performance:
1). Dual conversion. I seldom hear images.
2). Sensitivity is pretty good, as the short (20") antenna does a fine job at plucking even weak SW signals out of the air.
3). Selectivity is excellent. Close SW stations are easy to separate.
4). AM performance is good, and I can hear a number of far away stations.
5).Has a "News/Music" switch that really works. "News" makes the sound less bright (more muted) while "Music" brightens up the sound. The overall effect is significant enough to enhance the sound quality the way you like to hear it.
6). FM performance is good, though no stereo from the phone jack.
7). Long battery life (2-AA batteries). Has an input to also run off of a 3V DC adaptor.

Weaknesses:
Only one that I can find. No FM stereo, though the mono is fine.

Things I wished it had:
1). Preset memories for your favorite frequencies.
2). FM stereo output.
3). Separate bass and treble controls.

If you're looking for a small analog AM/FM/SW radio that is easy to tune and built like a tank, then the Sony ICF-4920 might be something to look at. I've had mine now for over 15 years and it works as well as the day I bought it. It's just a fun radio to hold and listen to.