Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-70A Help

Description: 70 Amp Power Supply
57 Amps cont. ICS 70 Amps @ 13.8V DC
Weight 48 Lbs
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-70A.

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Lab use for over 10 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought 10 of these for electronics lab use and caught hell from others in the lab for ther "Ham Junk" purchase, 10 years later not ONE of the AS70 ever failed, the other high current switchers in the Lab were failing all the time..The boys all told me what a good idea they the Astron's were and took all their words back... I have one at home and it powers the whole shack and has been on for 8 years...Denny K8KAS

DUTCHNAN Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
Flip the switch and has run for days at a time without any problems. Will run everything in my shack. The best recommendation I can give is I will buy another one as a backup.

N0MNO Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 17:29 Send this review to a friend
BEST  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this with my Ameritron ALS-500m amplifier
and it works great ...no hum in this power supply

K0CWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent PS. Has been under the desk for 10 years. Sometimes forget it is there.

W7WIN Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2009 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Very best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a lot on PS but this one stays.
70 amps runs all I have in the shack.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2006 21:02 Send this review to a friend
The BIG BOY!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now this thing is a "REAL" Power Supply! It will run everything in your shack ... and then some.

I have used my RS 70 to power my Ameritron ALS-500 amplifier. It works like a charm (it is important to use large guage wire & as short a run as possible). I know others who run the Ten Tec Hercules using this power supply.

It is big, it is heavy, it is powerful! I have owned two. After 10 years of service ... Zero problems to report! Enough said.

W5ZZQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2005 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Best made  Time owned: more than 12 months
JUST THE BEST POWER SUPPLY OUT THERE. GREAT!

KA5ROW Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2005 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Heavy Duty Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a good heavy duty power supply, but I am a little disappointed with its overrated specs.
And the Q/A department
I however, do not think its fair to rate this the RS-70 A or M as a 70 amp power supply. They should be rated as a 57 amp power supply. With intermittent 70 amp peaks. I don't know if you could use the P/S with a amplifier that pulled 60 or 65 amps on SSB peeks. I would think after a short time something would give out.
I use the P/S to power a TE-System 1452G 400 watt amplifier. On FM pulls about 52 amps. SSB Intermittent peeks to 52 amps. The P/S gets very hot, so hot you can not put your hand on the base of the P/S. The fan has kicked on only one time that I can remember. I sure the thermal control was not working. So I by passed it, now the fan runs all the time and the P/S is much cooler. All of my other P/S the fan runs all the time.
I called Astron got someone who could not speak English very well, and I could not get a clear answer as to why the cooling fan never ran. I don't think he really knew enough English to understand me and the point I tried to get across.
A 2nd issue was when I got the P/S one of the insulators between a regulator and heat sink was hanging by one end. It was an easy fix but a very obvious Q/A problem.