Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Smiley 270A Tri-Band HT Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Smiley 270A Tri-Band HT Antenna
Smiley 270A Tri-Band HT Antenna Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Collapsible (but spring at bottom!) SMA HT antenna.
More info: http://www.htantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Smiley 270A Tri-Band HT Antenna.

VE3LNU Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Perfect antenna for Kenwood TH-F6a handheld!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For years I have complained that amateur radio manufacturers simply do not understand how to make a practical antenna for the new, ultra-compact HTs. I mean, what's the point of buying a small, compact handheld when you need to hang it from your belt with a 12" long antenna that could easily poke you in the eyes? And let's be honest, people: who wants to be seen walking around a mall or city park with a foot-long antenna (or longer) on top of their tiny HT? In practical terms, most gain HT antennas have to be unscrewed and carried in a pocket, and then re-inserted when you want to go on the air. This is far from ideal, in my view!

Enter this little beauty. Fully retracted, it's shorter than the stock rubber duck supplied with the THF-6a, making it even easier to carry on your belt. A bonus is that, when retracted, the 270A is a 1/4 wave on 440, so you can actually "walk and talk" with the radio on your belt just like the stock antenna (but with better performance).

When I want to work 220 MHz (which I use more than 440), I stop and extend 3 sections - now I have a 5/8 wave for this band!

In my mind, this is the perfect tri-band HT antenna (or as close to it as you will find). I will soon be ordering a second one as a back up.

A great value for the price. Smiley has really outdone the "big manufacturers" with this one.

Joe, VE3LNU

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2009 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Works good on VX-3R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Nice step up in receive & transmit signals on my VX-3R.

SMA version fits nice on HT

Spring on bottom of antenna good stress relief for SMA connection.

Can adjust lengths for 2m/220/440.

Easy 2-3 S units better than stock antenna.

73 K1WJ

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2008 22:59 Send this review to a friend
A great tri band antenna for not much money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for a reasonably priced tri band antenna with some gain for my flea power dual band Icom IC-Q7A. I got one of these today and am extremely impressed. I briefly put it on my Kenwood TH-F6A. I've been using a Diamond SRH320A on it. I didn't seriously A/B the two antennas but my general impression is that the 270A is as good as the Diamond almost all the time.

It has a flexible spring that will protect the SMA connector. It's also available with a BNC connector.

I bought a Smiley antenna in the 1980's and it still works great. For $20.00 you can't go wrong. Highly recommended.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2007 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Big improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the FT-60 and this antenna is a big improvement over the stock antenna. Repeaters that were not audible (in the basement) are now full quieting. It is simple to adjust, but for 2 meters it is long. You will need an SMA to BNC adapter, but use a reinforced unit such as available from http://www.wa3hrl.com/smabnc/
These two itens together are about $30 (shipping extra, but well worth it.

K1HPD Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2007 12:03 Send this review to a friend
works very well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I also never considered a collapsible metal antenna on an sma connector. I spotted this on a recent trip to the candy store and liked the flexible spring (no strain on the sma), the fact that collapsed the antenna is under six inches long (1/4 wave on 440 in this position and also recieves fairly well on 2/220 in this position) and that the antenna is well made and in the under 25 dollar range (half the price of the triband comet or diamond). Fully extended the antenna meets/exceeds the recieve preformance of the other two antennas (I have both in search of the perfect antenna for the Kenwood TH-F6A). In a side by side comparison to the Diamond and the Comet (SRH320A and SBB224 respectively) I have found the Smiley consistantly recieves about 1 s-unit better (going by the s-meter in the radio). I also find that on transmit the Smiley is as good as the other two, and gets me into some repeaters that I can hear but not hit with the other two. The Smiley also works well as a scanner antenna (the B bank in my Kenwood is all fire and ems frequencies). The only downside is that you have to adjust it by band to transmit, but the preformance is worth the effort imho. I have used it on the Kenwood fully extended and worn on my belt without worrying about bending it. (my SBB224 developed the obscene bend issue that is noted in many of its reviews 3 days after I purchased it). It bounces around on the dash of my jeep and occupanies me on fresh and salt water fishing trips and still looks and works as new. It also has a better fit to the radio (it fits snuggly to the top of the radio where both the others leave a visable gap). Other then to compare the antennas I have not used either of the others since purchasing the Smiley. If you can get past the thought of using a metal antenna on an sma then try the Smiley.

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2005 16:13 Send this review to a friend
The Best for TH-F6a / VX-6R???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would never have considered placing a METAL, COLLAPSIBLE antenna on ANY SMA connector. But Smiley has this intriguing 3-band (2M, 220, 440) HT antenna - with a "spring" at the base to avoid stressing your radio's SMA connector.

Fully collapsed, the antenna receives all well, and transmits as a 440 1/4-wave.

Fully-extended, it's a 2M 1/4-wave.

Lower two of the six sections, and it's a 440 5/8-wave.

Extend it three sections, and it's a 220 5/8-wave.

I am very pleasantly surprised with the performance so far on my VX-6R on all three bands. As with all Smiley products, the workmanship is fine.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS