Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | pro-2042 base scanner Help

Reviews Summary for pro-2042 base scanner
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: pro-2042 1000 channels base scanner

You can write your own review of the pro-2042 base scanner.

KD3ZX Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2006 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Easy Listening and Great Bargain on the Used Market  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pro-2042 scanners are readily available on Ebay from time to time from anywhere around $75 up to $200 for really nice ones. I managed to grab one brand new in the box for $134 with shipping. They are a very nice scanner to listen to when using the Sound Squelch feature. I have newer scanners, 2 BC785D's, 1 BCT8, and 1 new model BCT15. These all have the faster scanning, and all of the bells and whistles, alpha tags etc., tones, but I still enjoy listening to the Pro 2042 because of how softly the squelch operates in between transmissions in sound squelch mode. Its like voices appear, and fade away without a loud, annoying squelch tail every time. I particularly enjoy it while taking one of my famous cat naps on the sofa, it is actually relaxing at low volume. I've had many Pro2006's, the infamous "cell phone" scanner, which by the way, is useless for cell phone listening these days anyway, but they are also a nice older scanner, although slow scanning speed. The Pro 2042 is 50 cps, and for me is quite adequate, you really don't miss to much at all. It is loaded with frequencies and equipped with a built in power supply, which is really nice as well. It also has search and auto store for new active frequencies it finds. Also, it has very low intermod, even with a very good outside antenna, at 1200ft elevation, overlooking the valley, and city, hardly any interference ever. Anyway, I noticed there were no reviews for this scanner, and felt it deserved one, and I wanted to share my thoughts with my fellow scanner enthusiasts. I think these scanners originally were close to $400 new, so I feel they are a great bargain on the used market right now, and you can't really appreciate one until you listen to it for a while. I have found several of these on Ebay in the past two years, even found them for friends and relatives, and I am still thoroughly enjoying my "new old stock" unit that I found on Ebay 2 years ago. There is plenty of info and free manual downloads available via the WWW for the Pro 2042. By the way, I am an Advanced Class Amateur Operator. Thank you for reading my review and have a great day!