Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | pro-2042 base scanner Help

Reviews Summary for pro-2042 base scanner
pro-2042 base scanner Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: pro-2042 1000 channels base scanner

You can write your own review of the pro-2042 base scanner.

TRXWGN Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2015 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Semi-obsolete scanner from the Golden Age  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Year ago, the Pro-2042 was praised as the penultimate evolution of the Radio Shack/GRE scanners starting with the legendary Pro-2004. Now I had the top-of-the-line (for 1996) Uniden BC9000XLT and the BC780XLT so I had always wanted to try the 2042, since it was always listed as one of the better scanners for milair. I won this scanner on EBay this month and as I was reading the congrats email, it occurred to me that why on earth would I need a non-trunking analog scanner in 2015? I admit, what I can receive is now pretty limited. For starters, I tuned in a regular broadcast FM on the 2042 and it came in quite well with the stock antenna, in fact it received broadcast "wide" FM as well as any radio in my house. For comparison, the BC9000XLT was only good for the strongest FM stations and even with better antennas, the weaker stations were merely ok. I know, who listens to FM radio with a scanner. As for milair and the other air bands, the 2042 was more than acceptable. Missing, or course, were alpha tags and any sort of computer programming. Programming by hand is an annoyance I had managed to avoid for several years, but maybe no more so than trying to get my Pro-668 to function with Windows 10. Analog frequencies (CB, ham, state highway patrol) came in better than the Pro-668, which I always considered a bit deaf anyway. For example, the Pro-668 could only hear CB stations if I opened the squelch all the way, whereas the 2042 had no trouble. Could be the antenna. As a base radio, I like the 2042, it has an old school flair with its tuning knob and chunky dimensions. It is not quite as "hamsexy" as the BC9000XLT all metal case and larger tuning knob (and alpha tags), but it is very listenable with its built in speaker. However, it really is a nostalgia device (how did the mid-90's become the good old days?) and its limitations become apparent if you try to listen to anything beyond simple analog frequencies or try to remember what is on its 1,000 channels. I am too generous with the 5 rating if you think of it as a present day scanner, unless it is strictly relegated to air band or that kind of thing.
KD3ZX Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2006 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Easy Listening and Great Bargain on the Used Market  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pro-2042 scanners are readily available on Ebay from time to time from anywhere around $75 up to $200 for really nice ones. I managed to grab one brand new in the box for $134 with shipping. They are a very nice scanner to listen to when using the Sound Squelch feature. I have newer scanners, 2 BC785D's, 1 BCT8, and 1 new model BCT15. These all have the faster scanning, and all of the bells and whistles, alpha tags etc., tones, but I still enjoy listening to the Pro 2042 because of how softly the squelch operates in between transmissions in sound squelch mode. Its like voices appear, and fade away without a loud, annoying squelch tail every time. I particularly enjoy it while taking one of my famous cat naps on the sofa, it is actually relaxing at low volume. I've had many Pro2006's, the infamous "cell phone" scanner, which by the way, is useless for cell phone listening these days anyway, but they are also a nice older scanner, although slow scanning speed. The Pro 2042 is 50 cps, and for me is quite adequate, you really don't miss to much at all. It is loaded with frequencies and equipped with a built in power supply, which is really nice as well. It also has search and auto store for new active frequencies it finds. Also, it has very low intermod, even with a very good outside antenna, at 1200ft elevation, overlooking the valley, and city, hardly any interference ever. Anyway, I noticed there were no reviews for this scanner, and felt it deserved one, and I wanted to share my thoughts with my fellow scanner enthusiasts. I think these scanners originally were close to $400 new, so I feel they are a great bargain on the used market right now, and you can't really appreciate one until you listen to it for a while. I have found several of these on Ebay in the past two years, even found them for friends and relatives, and I am still thoroughly enjoying my "new old stock" unit that I found on Ebay 2 years ago. There is plenty of info and free manual downloads available via the WWW for the Pro 2042. By the way, I am an Advanced Class Amateur Operator. Thank you for reading my review and have a great day!