Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Hazer Glen Martin Engineering Help

Reviews Summary for Hazer Glen Martin Engineering
Hazer  Glen Martin Engineering Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$360.95
Description: A tram system for moving your antenna from ground level to the top of your tower.
More info: http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page10.html

You can write your own review of the Hazer Glen Martin Engineering.

K5RCR Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2012 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Hazer 3 - can't do without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the GM Hazer 3 for about 6 years. It is mounted on 37 feet of Rohn 25 tower. While it took a little adjustment to get the Hazer to track smoothly, it has no trouble carrying a rotator, rotator cable/two lengths of RG8, a ten foot mast, a 4 element 6 meter monobander and a Hy-Gain 3 element tribander. This device has saved me an enormous amount of trouble by eliminating climbing the tower, renting bucket trucks, etc. The system has been thru 7-8 hurricanes [located in Louisiana] powerful enough to uproot 100 foot pines. Dropping the antenna stack before a storm gives me a great deal of piece of mind. The ability to drop the antennas also makes it very easy to trouble shoot loose/corroded connections and to replace aging coax. I am planning to put up another Rohn 25 tower for a 17/12 dual band Moxon and will buy another Hazer for it.

AB4D Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2010 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Idea, but options are almost a must.  Time owned: more than 12 months
On a past tower installation, I owned a Glen Martin Hazer (H4) mounted on 40 feet of Rohn 25G. The Hazer is a great unique product for those who do not wish to climb. However, the optional rollers are a must, as my hazer got hung up on the section joints several times during the period I had this particular tower.

As noted by others, I too had an unpleasant customer service experience with the staff at Glen Martin. When I ordered the Hazer, it arrived with one item missing, the winch cable.

I called Glen Martin, immediately the person I spoke with acted like I was bothering him, and rudely stated that all cartons are checked before leaving the factory and it was impossible for the cable to be missing. He indicated that if I wanted a replacement cable, I would have to order one at the normal purchase price.

After speaking to several people through the chain of command, I finally got GM to agree to send the cable free of charge. However, IMO I should not of had to go through all the running around to get the issue resolved.

Will I ever get another hazer? I actually did purchase another hazer for a future tower project. The hazer is a great product, but I will not deal with GM direct. Instead, I will go through one of their dealers, who are more apt to be ham friendly.

It seems GM is happy selling towers/hazers to hams, but do not want to deal with us if there is a problem.

WD8AAM Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2010 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Hazer was a nice addition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my hazer on my Rohn 25 free-standing tower of 2.6 sections 26', with a 12' mast, with a top-mounted vertical, and a TA-33 senior 3 element beam. When I got the hazer, I also at the same time got the rollers. Install was easy, and operation was smooth and well worth the price. The load on the hazer was about 85 pounds. Nice to have, never had to climb again until I took the tower down. Since the Tower was free standing, with a 4 foot deep base, guys were used, but attached to the hazer, so they also would come up and down. Never a problem, worked really nice. I'd give it a 5, but due to the cost I gave it a 4.........

K1TQK Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2005 17:29 Send this review to a friend
First Rate  Time owned: more than 12 months
Found the basic Hazer to be of top quality and
very easy to install on the Rohn 25.
Supports a Cushcraft mini beam at 35 feet with a
Yaesu 450. Nice set up and works great..

KD6WD Rating: 2/5 Jul 19, 2005 14:29 Send this review to a friend
tolerable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initially I thought that having a hazer would be a great addition to my tower. I had heard that others just loved having a hazer. Well I can tell you all that glitters is not gold. I purchased the hazer 2 which is $360.95. This is their biggest aluminum hazer. Unfortunatly the hazer is not as pictured on their web site. The guide blocks are not included in the price you pay. So after you have tried to crank it up the tower you realize that you need to order the optional roller set which is $64.95 to keep it from catching on the tower leg bolts as you crank it up the tower. It does not end there. You realize when you place your order that the standard 1/8th inch cable is marginal at best so you order it with 5/32nds cable which is an additional $42.00 added to the base price.

Any one who has had a free wheeling winch realizes the danger of a 100 or more pound load getting out of control as you crank the antenna and hazer down so you add the optional break winch. This adds another 43.45 to the price. By this time you figure your stuck with the product and you add the messenger line kit at 76.00.

When I placed the order for the messenger cable they told me they are out of stock on the thrust bearing they offer and have now discontinued it. All in all the hazer exercise will have cost me over $600.00 with shipping. What finally ticked me off was them being less than candid on shipping. It started with the basic hazer. They said they were in stock and could ship this week. A full week went by so I called. They said it had been shipped. Well dumb old me I believed them. I finally called again the next week and they said it shipped yesterday. Well checking the shipping dates with UPS they were off again. Finally yesterday I decide I could not live with the sticking of the hazer as it went up and down and caught on the bolts on the tower legs I ordered the wheel bearings. Since I had the tower guy coming out out this afternoon I figured I would spend the extra bucks and have them ship them out next day. UPS came by twice but nothing was there for me. They must make up these Polish jokes about people like me so I called Glen Martin again. They said the wheels had been shipped. This time I demanded the UPS shipping number. They put me on hold twice and finally admitted that they had not been shipped but were now in a box ready to go. The problem is that from their location and the time I know that UPS next day was most likely impossible. I said "now ship them ground". The person I spoke to seemed offended that I expected credit for the next day shipping they had charged to my credit card. Would I purchase another hazer from Glen Martin? The answer is NO!!!! I don't know if the people at Glen Martin were scared to just say no. However everyone else I have dealt with such as Ten-Tec, The Wireman, Radioworks, AES, HRO, Etc have always been up front about deliveries and what was included and what was not included in the purchase price.

One final note. I had to order a thrust bearing from Texas Towers. The holes in the Hazer were not on the same bolt centers as the thrust bearing so 4 additional holes had to be drilled in the hazer top plate.

My suggestion to other hams is to look at building your own hazer. Its not really that complicated. My guess is that the aluminum cost is under a hundred dollars. A worm gear winch from harbor freight is 20.00. You can purchase a a power hacksaw with metal cutting blades, a drill press and bolts and some casters and be 300 bucks under what I spent. In fact, even though I am in a wheel chair, I plan to do just that. Its obvious that neither CQ nor QST would publish an article on a homebrew hazer and risk loosing advertising revenue. So my solution is to form a group on Yahoo which will describe the building of a homebrew hazer which I hope can be superior to the one I have.

73's