Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu, G-2800DXA Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu, G-2800DXA
Yaesu, G-2800DXA Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$1089.00
Description: Yaesu's newest top-of-the-line rotator is for extra-heavy-duty antenna installations. It includes “Auto Slow Start” and “Auto Slow Stop” features to avoid sharp jolts to the antenna array and tower. The G-2800DXA includes a rugged mast clamp and 40 meters of control cable, for easy installation. Total rotation range: 450°, with presets
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=104&encProdID=yN9ulhWwjG4%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu, G-2800DXA.

W5UHQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2015 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Cable Incompatibility  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently had a Glenn Martin Engineering hazer malfunction which ended up doing some damage to the connector on the G02800DXA which has been working flawlessly for about 4 years. Since the cable was damaged right near the rotor end connector, I decided to go ahead and replace the tower part of cable and restore good factory seals. I was not able to find a replacement connector anywhere on internet or even from Yaesu parts. I was able to find a cable set ( both connectors with fixed length sections of cable) from Jetstar. This cable is great for running stand alone. In fact I tried it with my controller outside before I attempted to splice it into the old yaesu inside cabling and control box. After some head scratching I determined that the color codes ( which you usually do not care about) were 100% scrambled from the old OEM cable. That should have not been that hard to diagnose except Yaesu failed to document where the referenced I/O terminals numbered 1-6 actually were on the molex connector. Here is what I found to complete the task of adding a new outside end of the cable set.

--------------
1 2 3
4 5 6
---------------

This is the view of the molex connector on rear of the control box ( not the cable which would be a mirror image)

Pin Function OEM cable Jetstar
1 pot excite (~8v) black white
2 pot wiper brown yellow
3 pot common white blue
4 motor -12v drives CW red black
5 motor common green red
6 not used on 2800 yellow brown

I must assume that others might be in this same condition since there is really no reason why the end of the cable in the shack will ever have to be replaced.

I also did some open loop checking of the rotor for my records. I drove the motor to the CW stop by putting -12v between pin 4 and 5 of the motor. +12 drives it 450 degrees in the opposite direction. I recorded the resistances of the 500 ohm pot at key cardinal positions between terminals pin 3 and pin 2. They would be handy if you ever decide to interface this rotor with another controller or make a small outside checkout box when trouble shooting.

Using the hazer can bring on many complications with rotor loops with a 450 degree rotor such as this one. Be very careful you have enough slack to allow that much rotation without cables getting too tight.

I am using this right now with a STEPIR and a VHF/uhf Husler on top but have had satellite antennas on this same rotor and never had any problems.

Please take care if you are faced with replacing only the rotor end of the interface cable.

N7WY Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2015 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Replace the bolts  Time owned: more than 12 months
The motor attaches to the base plate and mast clamp with 4 bolts each, and the mast clamp is tightened with 6 galvanized bolts. There is also a bolt that goes through the clamp and mast. I had to open the clamp after 14 months and am glad that I did not install the through bolt. Even with Permatex anti-seize protecting the threads from day one, it was not possible to use the clamp bolts a second time. The bolts galled and had to be replaced. My point = don't use them in the first place, get stainless replacements.

The instructions show orienting the connector on the side of the motor so that it faces out the lattice side of the tower. Not a good idea on crank up towers as lowering the tower will shear off the cable or motor connector. Now you understand why I had to rework the installation. I should have seen the issue!

The on/off switch on the controller is now stuck in the ON position. The position control knob pointer is the same color as the knob itself making it hard to see. A little white touch up really helped the visibility.

K1ZW Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2014 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rotor in use since 2001. It has held a variety of antennas C31xr, 4el SteppIR w/40m and a T8. First three years I used the standard control box, I now use the green heron control box. Had no problem with installation on my 75 foot Aluma tower couldn't be happier. 73 Larry K1ZW

DM2CYN Rating: 1/5 Mar 22, 2014 00:54 Send this review to a friend
YAESU Europe quality repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here is a quite nice story about repair activities of a well know European YEASU branch office for the interesting YAESU Rotator Community.
One day my G-2800DXC rotator was not driven by the controller – only a few degrees he moved. The controller was working!
I send out the complete package to my German dealer – he was not able to repair and send out the package to the well know YAESU Europe branch office.
About four weeks later (within Christmas time!), the “repaired” system arrived me.
At first I try to switch on the controller without the rotator > NOTHINGS!
Next I plugged in the rotator on the controller > NOTHINGS.
Here are the statement of YAESU Europe:
YAESU > February 10th 2014:
I used your controller with our demo rotator and it was OK.
I wanted to see what unit was faulty.
Your controller did not work with your rotator and we found the motor of your rotator was U/S.
After replacing the motor in the rotator, we checked the rotator was now OK, with your controller and it was.

YAESU > February 13th 2014:
If I can try to explain.
I believe failure of old motor, which we replaced, may have damaged component in
the controller.
This component although damaged was able to work when we tested rotator.
This component has now failed.
I hope this explanation is enough.

At the end, my German Händler had a look in to the controller and found out, that one of the cable was disconnected (a very strong connection!)!!!

I was happy – but the only operating position of the controller is about 30° inclination to the desk!!!

One question to the community: Is this typically for YAESU quality repair?

K4VUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2013 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Opening the G-2800  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My friend and I may be the only hams ever to open a Yaesu G-2800DXA rotor, and we opened the top half only of the rotor motor shell. Internet search did not find any record of such work.

My rotor was in a tower failure which turned the rotor upside down and it filled with water. I did not open it and just allowed it to sit to dry. That was a mistake because the water exposure corroded the pot that turns to indicate the rotor motor direction and an attached metal cog wheel. The pot stopped working correctly after turning it several dozen times during testing it with the top of the rotor open. The large radio parts stores in Bangkok yielded up an exact replacement, which was installed. Testing showed the rotor was then ok.

Bolting the rotor housing back together is a challenge but with patience and following the book instructions exactly, it can be done.

WARNING... Before opening this rotor housing (and also the T2X), place the whole rotor inside a large tub or plastic basin. This step allows all the ball bearings to fall out of their races (2 races in the Yaesu; 3 in the T2X) but be kept inside the tub. ANY OTHER STRATEGY WILL ALLOW YOU TO CHASE BALL BEARINGS OVER YOUR FLOOR. The balls are also covered with grease which increases the mess. However, you do gain huge bragging rights if you did spill the balls and was able to recover them all; they fit side by side with less than a mm gap, so you will have to get them all. GL K4VUD at hotmail.com

K4VUD Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2013 05:41 Send this review to a friend
G-3000 shock absorber for rotor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Yaesu G-3000 Shock Absorber is best seen in a photo by searching by brand and model number. It consists of two very strong solid metal plates with rubber-like compound shock absorber fixtures mounted between the two plates. The bottom of the Yaesu rotor mounts on top of the top plate and the lower plate bolts to the tower rotor plate, forming a sandwich of about one inch of semi-flexible fixtures that absorb turning torque (to some unknown amount) on starting and stopping of the rotor. The device should also provide some amount of cushioning to the tower. It does not appear to function to take downward loads of the mast and antenna array.

The G-3000 is exactly compatible with the G-28000 rotor and any other rotor with the same bolt distances on their bottom. The holes in the lower plate match the rotor bolt spacing, too. Thus, the fixture fits perfectly between the holes for Yaesu in your tower rotor plate and the bottom of the Yaesu rotors. Installation is very easy but you must raise your mast upward to allow the thickness of the G-3000 added between the plate and the rotor.

IMPORTANT... The G-3000 WILL NOT fit HyGain rotors like the TailTwister T2X without modification of the G-3000 because the T2X cable pigtail comes out the bottom of the rotor, not the side like the Yaesu rotors. Modification would requiring cutting a rather large hole in both G-3000 plates (upper and lower) and making sure the tower rotor plate also has a hole to route the T2X wire pigtail downward. Owners must judge if making such a hole (large enough to clear the underside wire exit fitting and wire end plug) will compromise the strength of the G-3000. My guess is that the hole would be OK, but difficult to cut due to the thick plates on the G-3000.

I recommend installing the G-3000 for large arrays and the big Yaesu rotors, but use thrust bearing(s) to take the weight of the mast and array; DO NOT USE THE ROTOR AND G-3000 TO TAKE THAT WEIGHT. GL. K4VUD at hotmail.com

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I added the Rotor EZ control board in the rotor cheap $149 it makes the rotor very accurate when pointing when calibrating is done properly. Then all you have to do is just point and click and your there.

Still not a single problem and have seen 2 bad ice storms and winds up to 80+ mph several times with storm fronts. Great rotor and it supports and turns weights of 200#!!

K4VUD Rating: 2/5 Aug 31, 2011 02:53 Send this review to a friend
Control box weak function/rotor super  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This rotor control box lacks programmable, one- push buttons to select pre-set headings. The ideal is the DCU-1 HyGain.
The Yaesu rotable pointing knob is not accurate to desired heading for sharp beamwidth yagi and not easily re-settable. Its setting accuracy is just too gross, difficult to read, and a pain to use in contest where pre-sets make a big difference. Inexcusable flaw in this very expensive product.

Thankfully, the rotor is very well made, strong, and with a good clamping system. Too few know about the rubber bumper device, named herein, to further cushion the rotor with huge arrays.

W6LQP Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2011 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Needs better quality fasteners  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Powerful unit but mast locking bolts are very poor quality and show rapid signs of deterioration in salt air after only a couple of weeks on line...replaced with stainless steel bolts - something Yaesu should have included as standard considering the high equipment price.

Used as base mounted operation with US Tower MA-550 - base mounting removes all vertical load and now with better locking bolts I expect good service life. Easily turns heavy tower and antenna - make sure your thrust bearing is balanced and periodically lubricated.

It comes with a lot of control cable - so don't buy any more unless you are a couple hundred feet away from the rotator.

I strongly recommend DC shunt for the control lines at bottom of tower if you want your ham shack control unit to survive any type of lightning strike.

PY1BR Rating: 0/5 Aug 27, 2009 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Very Disapointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the G-2800DXA in 2003 and is working fine since then but I also bought the Tower Shock Absorber Joint GA-3000. I could not installed immediately. After 3 years I moved to a new QTH and yesterday I installed it. Whenever I put the rotator over de GA-3000 the four absorber joint stater to smell like icecream and in minutes were destroyed. I can not understand it. Something to support vibration, design to it, whenever it start to work colapses...I could not believe when I saw it. I wrote to Yaesu trying to understand the situation.