Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Pyramid PS-36KX Help

Built-in Cooling Fan
Input: 115V AC, 60Hz, 600 Watts
Output: 12~15V DC(adjustable)
32 AMP Constant/35 AMP Surge
Powers 12V DC Devices such as Cellular Phones, CB Radios, Scanners, HAM Radios, Autosound Systems,etc.
Screw Terminal Connectors
Crowbar Over Voltage Protection
Short Circuit & Thermal Protection; Fuse Protected
LED Protection Indicators
3 Prong Grounded AC Plug
Heavy Duty Cabinet & Heatsink with Non-Skid Rubber Feet
Dimensions: 14�L x 9.17�W x 4.92�H
More info: http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=PS36KX

You can write your own review of the Pyramid PS-36KX.

W5MSV Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2017 09:17 Send this review to a friend
9 yrs worked great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the PS-36kx 10 years ago for about $120 and it powered both my Icom 751a and Yaesu 8900r fine for 9 years. Just one day, the red light and alarms went off and it was out of commission. Plan on fixing it soon, its great to have battery back-up for continuo hamming!

KF7PCL Rating: 3/5 Jul 9, 2015 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Has issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Pyramid PS-36K used last year. When I turned it on, I found that the voltage and current meters did not work. A quick check with a multimeter found that both meter movements were open. Open meter coils are rather uncommon and suggests either low quality movements or they were abused. There was no other sign of overload so I am guessing the former.

Besides the meters, the 24V DC brushless motor fan is rather noisy and operates all the time and if I don't regularly add oil to the fan motor bearing, it becomes even nosier and eventually seizes up.

The power transformer seems to be very lossy since it heats up a lot. The fan had seized up once before and the transformer got quite hot in a few hours before I caught it. At the time, it was only running one radio in receive mode (~600mA). I don't feel that a 35 amp power supply should need a fan to run a 600mA load when my Astron 20A has no problem running a 1.5 amp load all day without a fan. Don't expect to draw 35 amps continuously from this unit without the transformer and pass transistors overheating. It handles occasional peaks of 35 amps well enough.

There is no nominal voltage detent in the voltage control so it is easy to accidentally change the voltage. Thankfully setting the knob to point straight up is approximately 13.8V

For running a regular 100W HF radio, the PS-36K will do the task as long as the fan noise isn't a problem. Keep in mind it isn't very "hefty" and there are better power supplies available. The 35 amp rating seems to be a stretch.

N0AX Rating: 3/5 Sep 19, 2012 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Good linear supply, bad power switches  Time owned: more than 12 months
The regulator part of the supply is solid - no problems. Unfortunately, this is the *second* supply on which the rocker switch broke - I am not abusing it. The first supply's switch broke on the first use. This supply has been in use for about two years, turned on and off about once a month, and the switch broke again.

VE7KNQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2012 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Dependable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this power supply for about 12 years now and it has never once failed me. It just keeps running strong and dependably. I recommend this power supply.

KJ4DKT Rating: 2/5 Jan 19, 2012 10:46 Send this review to a friend
POOR FAN S  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the ps36kx about 4 years ago. Fan began to squeal. Oiled it and began to squeal again. Finally locked up and damaged the regulator and other parts. The only good thing abour it is that it is a LINEAR PS. Astron RS35 is looking good to me for the same or less $.

N9MB Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2011 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Good PS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my PS-36KX new in 1995 and it's still running strong. It took a lightning strike about 7 years ago and I had to replace the 2N3771 pass transistors using 2N3773's along with the 723 regulator IC, TIP41C driver transistor and 7812 ovp reference regulator but it was worth the effort. As stated earlier lighted meters would be a plus and the VM is optimistic but all in all a good solid power supply.

KC9FSH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2009 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Great power supply for a great price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally owned a smaller 12 or 14 amp Pyramid supply and had great luck with that supply so when I bought a HF rig and needed a power supply, I didn't even think twice about a Pyramid.

I have owned my PS36KX for the past four or five years.
I've run this thing consistently for most of the time that I have owned it and it just keeps on going. I really don't have any complaints other than the meters not working, but for me that isn't a big issue since the supply is located in an area where I wouldn't be able to see them anyways.

If you are looking for a cheaper power supply to run your HF rig the PS36KX is a great option. I only paid $75 new for mine.

WB6SIK Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2009 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Great performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have never had a single problems with Pyramid pwoer supplies, including my PS-36KX. This p.s. not only powers my Icom IC-718 without any problem, it powers other rigs in my shack. Quiet, efficient, reliable and at a great price. Most economical and best working power supplies for your money. I also use it to power my drill here in the shack when I am home brewing stuff.

VE7REN Rating: 1/5 Aug 11, 2009 05:50 Send this review to a friend
listen to this  Time owned: more than 12 months
bought one in 1999. it worked good till 2002 then it crapped out. i had never used it alot,and always ran it with low current draw. i sent it for repair,but it cost more then it was worth,and customer service was non existent. i ended up going with the astron 35 amp supply instead. 2002 till 2009 now with no problems,and i have......... ran alot of amp draw,radios,acces,etc off this monster. got it quite warm,and never a problem. i would shy away from pyramid

K3CLT Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2009 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Its OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had a 25amp model with the meters and used it as I travel and set up my radios in the motel rooms. I had it set up at home and saw a little dipping of the lights on my radio. The meters indicated 14 volts so I started to look for the problem. The PS went up in smoke one day so I contacted the local factory rep. In the Pittsburgh area its Electronics Haven. Look them up on the internet. HE made a deal with me to take the 25amp unit back and upgrade me to the 36KX.
I put that unit on the table and connected my HF rig. Everything seemed normal so I decided to connect my 2 meter rig to it also. I noticed that the voltage level on the 2 meter radio indicated that the power was at 11 volts. I looked at the meter on the PS and it was at 14 volts. I checked the PS with my VOM and found that the output was 11 volts. I turned it up to 14 volts and the meter on the PS showed 16 volts.
All of the radios work and the PS seems to be doing its job. I do recommend that everyone check the output of their supplies with a good VOM because the meters on the PS cant be trusted.