Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | DXBase 2000 and later versions Help

Reviews Summary for DXBase 2000 and later versions
DXBase 2000 and later versions Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $99
Description: Professional Logging Software for MS Windows 95/98/2000/NT
More info: http://www.dxbase.com

You can write your own review of the DXBase 2000 and later versions.

K3PA Rating: 1/5 Aug 19, 2016 09:54 Send this review to a friend
He's Dead, Jim  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great software in its day. In fact, I still use it. But no updates in 9 years put it far, far out of consideration as your new logging program. Too bad, because the GUI is second to none and stability is excellent. But many items now taken for granted are missing. The website still notes Vista as the most recently supported OS, while noting the program is still for sale. Huh??

Look elsewhere. But many thanks to WA6AXE for continuing to support the DXBase community with no financial benefit.

K6RIM Rating: 1/5 Dec 22, 2014 20:13 Send this review to a friend
It's D-E-A-D !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Almost three years ago (in 2012) I finally gave up any hope that the DXBase would be meaningfully updated or improved, as was promised for a number of years by Neal Campbell, who bought the program from the original developers.

So I switched to Logger32 and highly recommend it.

Prior to 2012, I had used DXBase for around 20 years. For much of that period, it was the very best available. After Jack Lennox sold the program to Neal, Neal just let it die. Too bad.

RIP

ON9CC Rating: 1/5 May 3, 2013 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Outdated and no noticeable development  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hate to write negative reviews, but I have a good reason.

I have been using DXBase since DXBase2000. Back in those days when Jack AA4LU was still developing the software, something was happening and DXBase was the best log software on the market (IMO). It had a GREAT label printing and statistics/reporting tool. But then as of version 2004 the development was slowing down and I didnīt see the necessity buy the 2005 version.

Then somewhere in 2009 Jack announced that he was going to quit developing DXBase and many satisfied users were afraid of having bought their final version of their favorite logging tool. But then it was announced that AbrohamNeil bought the rights to DXBase and was going to further develop the software.

I'm not 100% sure why I needed to upgrade to DXBase2007 (I think it had something to do with LoTW). But I bought v2007 in March 2010 and since Neal was working on v2010 which would īsoonī be released, I would be entitled to a free upgrade once it was released.

We're now 3 years later and perhaps Neil is still trying to get it run stable under Windows 7 (a reason for the delay written by Neal in the past). Well ... sorry, but my patience ran out.

I (and many other users) were asking for elementary functions as a bandmap for instance that most other log softwares have. Yet until today, nothing ... it's sad that DXBase hasnīt been developed to keep up with the competition.

I have switched to Logger32 last year (FREE software!) and I havenīt regretted that decision for a second. See my review on Logger32 here on eham.net.

Oh, and I would like to especially thank Joe, WA6AXE for helping out users with questions and programming additional software to make things work !!!

K9ZW Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Promising but Cannot Import Data  Time owned: more than 12 months
Appears to be solid, if developmentally stagnant IF you are starting to log from scratch.

Support is weak - in my case purchased at Dayton 2011 at eighteen months later I am still on hold for importing data into DXBase. Appears that DXBase's legacy Data-I/O program expects a proprietary DLL module to be present on the user's machine - a DLL that appears to obsolete outside of an expensive developer's package. Not an expert on this, but am told that it would be likely to be possible for Neal to recompile the module with the library included, rather than as a dependency. Several short email discussions and all goes dead.

So unable to fully explore the features unless I would like to hand enter the thousands of QSOs in my files (adif).

The expected 2010 update has been pushed off and maybe will be seen in 2013.

For my use "All Sizzle and No Steak" until my historic data can be imported. Basically a show stopper.

K6DS Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great software  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used DXbase from the beginning. It is about time to write a review. I love the many features and controls of this program. Can't call it a logging program since it does so many other things too. Since Neal bought it from Jack, it has continued to improve. Jack did a wonderful job and Neal is now working on a major new update. He had kept the price down and is now offering it for $50.

I recently tried Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD). It was free for many years, but now Rick Ruhl bought it and is probably going to charge around $90 for it. HRD has most of the features of DXbase, but not all. I have stayed with DXbase. Thanks to Neal for the great job.

If you have used HRD and looking for a better product at a much better price than that which appears proposed for HRD after its introduction at the Dayton Hamfest, then DXbase may be for you.

IT9VDQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2009 00:14 Send this review to a friend
BIG software!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't agree with W3UA! DXbase 2007 it is a great software..... So I hope in a big developement by Neal!

Gius, IS0/IT9VDQ

W2IRT Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 15:04 Send this review to a friend
New Owner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a three week hiatus it was just announced that Neal, K3NC purchased DX Base from Jack and according to the announcement, a new release in 2010 is tentatively planned.

When it appeared as if DX Base was just going to fade away I started looking at and trying other fully-featured DX Loggers. I bought a copy of CommCat and also tried the DX Lab Suite. While both are excellent products with great features, really nice authors and tremendous support, the reality is that I still go back to DX Base as my log of record. The reason for this is simply that for the most part, I love DX Base's user-interface. It's clean, effective and only shows what you need on the surface--yet it has reporting and label features that out-do every other logger on the market.

While I wish DX Base had some of the features found in other loggers (a well-implemented bandmap, spectrum analyzer, e-mail spot alerts just to start), I simply don't want to give up all that DX Base offers in terms of QSO and QSL management and the great reports that both Jack and Joe WA6AXE have created.

I'd like to publicly thank Jack for the great run we've had with DX Base so far. I have a feeling that Neal will breathe new life into this application and I wish him and DX Base continued success for many years to come.

W3UA Rating: 1/5 Aug 4, 2009 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Rest in Peace  Time owned: more than 12 months
Obviously, you can't make money writing code for our hobby, so it should be a work of heart to be successful. The author is a good Access programmer, so he created probably the best QSO storage, report generator and award application writer on the market. Unfortunately, the author was not an experienced ham radio operator, so the "on the air" part was quite average at best.

I used last 2 releases of the software (2006 and 2007), and had a hope to get a better logger some time. That was my third logger in 20 years (after Hyperlog I used in late 80s, and LogWindows in 1990s). Several years ago it was pretty good, but the author simply could not keep it on the par with today's needs, and the final is natural.

W9OL Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2006 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Cleanest interface and GUI I've used.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a user of DXB for many years.
It has the 'cleanest looking' GUI in my opinion.
You can customize your screen to your special interests.
There is usually a new version with user suggested features each year.
A fee is required to purchase the new versions but older paid for versions can be used forever.
DXBase has an extensive data report system that can be customized to your like.
It's a 'data junkies' dream.
Everything you ever wanted to know about who you worked, when you worked them, if you need to work them is a just mouse click away.
I use DXBase to design a qsl "label" that prints the qsl info DIRECTLY onto my preprinted card which saves on the price of labels and postage.
DXB can also print the return addresses sae and the outbound envelope, again directly to the envelope avoiding the cost of labels.
The DXBase reflector offers quick support.

Try it, you'll like it!

K4EQQ Rating: 3/5 Mar 7, 2006 05:35 Send this review to a friend
A Never Ending Supply of Bugs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used DX Base since ver. 2001. Every year I've paid my upgrade money and every year there are either new, never before seen bugs. I must admit I'm not a power user and don't tap the full capability of DX Base. I've found in one version (2004? maybe) that the IARU region was incorrect for certain callsigns - great, just great. The fix was to manually correct it. The tech. support response was to wait for the new version, thank you very much.

I then decided to try N3FJP's suite of programs, many of which I won't use. The AC Log ver. 2.8 & 2.9 is very intuitive compared to DX Base. I will not be upgrading to DX Base 2007 and future versions. Also, recognize that AC log does NOT have many of the features that are contained in any version of DX Base. It's just that for my purposes, I don't need that "gold plated ratchet set" of special tools.

Also, for me at least, DX Base is a CPU resource and memory hog. My PC almost stops (swimming in molases) when doing anything in DX Base.

So AC Log here I come - free upgrades for life if you buy their CD containing all their programs. I must say the interface is slightly less professional than DX Base, but then the cost is much less than DX Base.