Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna
Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Portable scanner "duckie" antenna optimized for 800 MHz reception. 7" in height, BNC connector, black, flexible.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Better then stock/radio came alive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was using the stock on my GRE PSR-800 and was disappointing and considered selling my scanner
until i was informed about Radio Shack's 800mhz Model:20-283. The moment i put the antenna on the scanner came alive i was hearing stuff i never heard before and some 30++ miles away as well.
now i carry my scanner every where i go even in the car it work great and use it 24/7...
I understand it works the same on the new Uniden 436HP scanner... Highly recommend this antenna, check it out.

N0WF Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Well worth price of admission  Time owned: more than 12 months
Made a considerable difference in signal strength and signal quality on my Uniden BC796D. Not perfect but an immediate improvement in P25 decoding. Recently bought a Radio Shack Pro-2096 with the telescoping antenna and knew to get the 20-283. Bought an Amphenol 31-209, 90 degree BNC adapter. Again very noticeable improvement in P25 decoding with better signal quality. Worth 20 bucks and don't forget the 90 degree BNC adapter.

W9KDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Major Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without this, most of what I am now hearing would be dead. At first I wasn't sure it made a big difference, as scanner transmissions come and go and are hard to measure. Then I put the stock antenna back on and held the RS-800 near the radio during a transmission and I added 3 signal bars.

That's all I need to know. Be aware, some have indicated to me that it is not good for VHF and I find I still get it and it seems no worse than before. Probably there is no gain, but at least it works. On 800 mhz, they advertise 6dB gain.

Just go the Radio Shack and plunk down the $20.

KJ4DZF Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 14:18 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
bought this for a bcd-396xt scanner. dramtically improved reception on all bands of the stock rubber duck.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2009 11:20 Send this review to a friend
GRET SHORT ANTENNA!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is the best compact scanner antenna I have ever tried for a handheld scanner and it is only $20.00. So much for brand bashing by some of the equipment snoots.

You can spend more money but you will not get a better antenna.

KE5JPS Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2009 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several trunking scanners in the past and am no stranger to this amazing antenna. Six trunking scanners to be exact and now have the Pro-96. With trunking it is so very important to have a good enough signal to decode to control channel. Just being able to hear it is not enough. I have tried antennas from the RC-77CA to mobile 800mhz antennas to actual 800mhz cellular antennas. Some even with signal amplifiers. Nothing has been able to do the job that this little antenna does. I haven't figured out how it is set up, but if you or looking to improve your trunking reception, your search is over. I just wish that I could find a mobile version of this antenna as this does not seem as though it would do well in the elements. 73's

N1SQB Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2008 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna not really expecting much. I mean from just looks, it appears to be just another duckie. Add the fact that Radio Shack is selling it and one might think twice about buying one were it not for these forums. I have to say that I have been nothing but impressed with this baby! I use it to listen in on our state's 800 mhz Motorola Smart Zone Digital system. I dont even get a hint of fading with the antenna on. I even use a right angle adapter since it is in the back of my Uniden 996 base. I know Radio Shack does not make anything themselves so kudos to whoever is making it for them. Im actualy considering a second one. Its just that good!

K9HCK Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2006 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Big Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using a Diamond RC77a antenna for vhf and 800 mhz scanning but it suffered at 800 mhz. So after reading the reviews here I decided to give RS a chance. I usually dont trust RS products or MFJ for that matter. Was very pleasantly surprised, reception improved greatly on 800 mhz with very little degradation of vhf reception. I would recommend this antenna for anyone looking for a 800mhz antenna, this one works great.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great for 400-870MHz  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one of these when I bought a PRO-97 off of E-bay. I first used it when I got a GRE SUPER AMPLIFIER to receive a trunking police agency 40 miles away. This antenna without the amp does well from 400-860MHz as I said. When I use the amp I get no over loading and I can hear the trunking PD that is 40 miles away. If more agencies in my local area were on UHF I would use it all the time but their not. I enjoy it for what its made for. It does not do well on VHF unless your police and other services are local. If they are within 25 miles then your ok with it on all the time. You will be very happy with its performance in the higher bands and the local VHF signals as well. A great antenna. I wonder if GRE made it for Radio Shack? Take care, Chuck Pridgen N4UED

KG6EJT Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2006 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Definite Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added this antenna to my Pro-96 scanner and immediately noticed a significant improvement in signal strength on 800 MHz signals, especially the Orange County (CA.) FD's trunked system. I live approximately 40 miles from Orange County and while I could receive signals in the past from this system, they were rather weak and very directional. This antenna pulls in this system very well.

UHF signals are also received well, but VHF reception is significantly weaker than the stock rubber ducky. However, since this antenna is specifically designed for 800 MHz, it would be not be fair to consider this in my review rating, so I give it a solid 5.