Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna
Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Portable scanner "duckie" antenna optimized for 800 MHz reception. 7" in height, BNC connector, black, flexible.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna.

AA8HS Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2016 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not sure about the 6 dB gain figure, but it is a great match for my Whistler WS-1088 scanner. Numerous other antennas failed to bring in the P25 signals of interest to me. I measured the SWR at 460 Mhz and it was about 3:1 and this antenna does allow me to listen to 460 Mhz DMR signals just fine. A Tytera UHF antenna was a great SWR match for the 420-470 but did not perform at 800 Mhz. Since a 1/4 at 850 Mhz is about 3.5 inches, I wish I knew how this antenna was constructed to produce such great performance on my handheld scanner.

K1TSL Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Lives Up To The Hype  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't know why I waited so long to pick this antenna up. I had been using a Maxx mini discone for my BR330T and it worked great. Better than any other antenna. But I wanted something I could pocket, travel with and bring to work. After seeing all the positive reviews, I took the plunge and picked this up. It's just as good as the mini discone, maybe better.
Many people say that it works well in the 400mhz UHF range as well. I don't have much UHF around here but it actually doesn't do half bad on VHF either. I don't have much trouble picking up some of Martha's Vineyard VHF frequencies from a few miles into Falmouth.
Anyway, get yourself this antenna. I'm sure eventually they will be discontinued. I might pick one up as a back up just in case!

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Wasy better than the one supplied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 20-283 800 mhz. RadioShack scanner antenna has gone up in price but is still a pretty good bargain.

I recently purchased a RadioShack pro 106 and was not happy with the receive on it. I figured it was the rubber duck antenna that came with it so I went to RadioShack and bought the 20-283 800 mhz. antenna.

This antenna is far better than the factory antenna even at other frequencies.
I am able to pick up stations that are at least 30 miles away. Local signals are now 5 bar when before they were three. I don't get the drop outs like I did with the factory antenna and that makes for a better overall listening experience.

I highly recommend the 20-283 800Mhz. RadioShack antenna.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Better then stock/radio came alive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was using the stock on my GRE PSR-800 and was disappointing and considered selling my scanner
until i was informed about Radio Shack's 800mhz Model:20-283. The moment i put the antenna on the scanner came alive i was hearing stuff i never heard before and some 30++ miles away as well.
now i carry my scanner every where i go even in the car it work great and use it 24/7...
I understand it works the same on the new Uniden 436HP scanner... Highly recommend this antenna, check it out.

N0WF Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Well worth price of admission  Time owned: more than 12 months
Made a considerable difference in signal strength and signal quality on my Uniden BC796D. Not perfect but an immediate improvement in P25 decoding. Recently bought a Radio Shack Pro-2096 with the telescoping antenna and knew to get the 20-283. Bought an Amphenol 31-209, 90 degree BNC adapter. Again very noticeable improvement in P25 decoding with better signal quality. Worth 20 bucks and don't forget the 90 degree BNC adapter.

W9KDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Major Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Without this, most of what I am now hearing would be dead. At first I wasn't sure it made a big difference, as scanner transmissions come and go and are hard to measure. Then I put the stock antenna back on and held the RS-800 near the radio during a transmission and I added 3 signal bars.

That's all I need to know. Be aware, some have indicated to me that it is not good for VHF and I find I still get it and it seems no worse than before. Probably there is no gain, but at least it works. On 800 mhz, they advertise 6dB gain.

Just go the Radio Shack and plunk down the $20.

KJ4DZF Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2011 14:18 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
bought this for a bcd-396xt scanner. dramtically improved reception on all bands of the stock rubber duck.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2009 11:20 Send this review to a friend
GRET SHORT ANTENNA!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is the best compact scanner antenna I have ever tried for a handheld scanner and it is only $20.00. So much for brand bashing by some of the equipment snoots.

You can spend more money but you will not get a better antenna.

KE5JPS Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2009 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several trunking scanners in the past and am no stranger to this amazing antenna. Six trunking scanners to be exact and now have the Pro-96. With trunking it is so very important to have a good enough signal to decode to control channel. Just being able to hear it is not enough. I have tried antennas from the RC-77CA to mobile 800mhz antennas to actual 800mhz cellular antennas. Some even with signal amplifiers. Nothing has been able to do the job that this little antenna does. I haven't figured out how it is set up, but if you or looking to improve your trunking reception, your search is over. I just wish that I could find a mobile version of this antenna as this does not seem as though it would do well in the elements. 73's

N1SQB Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2008 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna not really expecting much. I mean from just looks, it appears to be just another duckie. Add the fact that Radio Shack is selling it and one might think twice about buying one were it not for these forums. I have to say that I have been nothing but impressed with this baby! I use it to listen in on our state's 800 mhz Motorola Smart Zone Digital system. I dont even get a hint of fading with the antenna on. I even use a right angle adapter since it is in the back of my Uniden 996 base. I know Radio Shack does not make anything themselves so kudos to whoever is making it for them. Im actualy considering a second one. Its just that good!