Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna
Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Portable scanner "duckie" antenna optimized for 800 MHz reception. 7" in height, BNC connector, black, flexible.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack 800 MHz Scanner Antenna.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2006 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great for 400-870MHz  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one of these when I bought a PRO-97 off of E-bay. I first used it when I got a GRE SUPER AMPLIFIER to receive a trunking police agency 40 miles away. This antenna without the amp does well from 400-860MHz as I said. When I use the amp I get no over loading and I can hear the trunking PD that is 40 miles away. If more agencies in my local area were on UHF I would use it all the time but their not. I enjoy it for what its made for. It does not do well on VHF unless your police and other services are local. If they are within 25 miles then your ok with it on all the time. You will be very happy with its performance in the higher bands and the local VHF signals as well. A great antenna. I wonder if GRE made it for Radio Shack? Take care, Chuck Pridgen N4UED

KG6EJT Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2006 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Definite Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added this antenna to my Pro-96 scanner and immediately noticed a significant improvement in signal strength on 800 MHz signals, especially the Orange County (CA.) FD's trunked system. I live approximately 40 miles from Orange County and while I could receive signals in the past from this system, they were rather weak and very directional. This antenna pulls in this system very well.

UHF signals are also received well, but VHF reception is significantly weaker than the stock rubber ducky. However, since this antenna is specifically designed for 800 MHz, it would be not be fair to consider this in my review rating, so I give it a solid 5.

AE6OX Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2006 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took a chance on this antenna for $16.99 as a replacement for the stock duckie on a PRO 97 scanner. The stock duckie does well on low UHF and VHF but is weak on 800 MHz. This little flexible replacement made a noticeable improvement on 800 MHz trunked system reception.

WA4GKQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2005 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Better than stock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced the stock duckie antenna on my Radio Shack PRO-97 portable scanner with the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna (#20-283) and got a greatly improved performance on 800 MHz trunked systems reception -- like night and day difference. I had tried the Diamond RH-77CA before with no improvement. The reception of other frequencies appears to be no better or no worse with the new antenna.

Al