Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | AEA Halo 6 Help

Reviews Summary for AEA Halo 6
AEA Halo 6 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 6 meter omnidirectional loop (halo) antenna

You can write your own review of the AEA Halo 6.

K6ATZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2010 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Still working well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using one of these loops for over six years. It's still going strong and is still getting me out from Northern California's Silicon Valley via groundwave everywhere from Skyline to the Sierras, and via E-layer skip as far as Montana. It hasn't rained enough here in Silicon Valley over that time period for me to be the best reference on that particular complaint below, but I haven't had a de-tuning problem during or after storms. The higher you mount it the better the SWR is of course, and it has performed well for me at both 20' and 25' feet.

KC0VGC Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2007 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad 6m omni, de-tunes in wet wx  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have built and owned other 1/2 wave 6m antennas and I can say that it works just about as well as any other half-wave horizontal antenna. It does de-tune in the rain, but I used mine with a small tuner so I could keep going in any weather. Used it for both ground-wave and e-skip. On the plus side it is very unobtrusive.

K7VO Rating: 3/5 Aug 17, 2005 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine when dry; detunes in wet weather  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran one of these for a number of years at several locations. It probably worked as well as any halo (omnidirectional loop antenna) in dry weather. When it rained or snowed the SWR would skyrocket and the antenna was unusable.

A falling tree limb during an ice storm a couple of years ago finally did mine in. These were well made and durable.

These haven't been made in a number of years but they do show up on the used market. Most people would be far better off with a KU4AB.com square loop or a Par OmniAngle. Those don't detune in wet weather like the AEA Halo 6 did. Still, I worked a lot of grids and a fair amount of DX with one of these.