Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-U82 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-U82
ICOM IC-U82 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $239.95
Description: UHF FM Transceiver 430 (440) MHz. The optional UT-118 provides D-STAR format digital voice and slow data communiation.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/V82_u82/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-U82.

NC6P Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2011 18:06 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have dropped this HT more than I care to remember. It has worked, and still works. My main use is as an input to a cross band repeater. I go in UHF and come out VHF via a Kenwood TM-V71A radio. There is no rf interference up where I use this. I am out in the woods. When you get to the big city, beware. Just like all HTs, you will get overload if you use a big antenna. So, I have used the HT in San Francisco where there is lots of RF. It is a good unit and I would say it is OK. Drop it a couple of times and it still works. 73's NC6P...

WA2EHL Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2010 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having dumped a Yaesu FT60r,I now have two monobanders.The Icom and a Yaesu VX-177.Both are used to monitor and program my 440 repeater and this gives me redundancy.The price was right ($159.95) even with the 600mah battery.The transmit audio is super and is very sensitive in receive mode.It is unlikely I will purchase the digital board,as I already have a IC-2820H and seldon use the D-STAR mode.Receive audio is on par with the so-called 700mw speakers.I really have no need for 2 meters hence the dumping of the FT60r.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2009 19:11 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLY GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked mine up used at Orlando HamCation 2009 for a GREAT deal of ONLY $60 which included the drop in charger,manual& battery.Looks as if it were NEVER used & that's what the original owner said,he NEVER used it.It is simple to program & operate & it does BOTH the same as my ICOM V-8 & they BOTH use the same drop in chargers as well.I have the original reciept & the original owner paid $229.95 for it from Gigi Parts.WOW what a STEAL I got! }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

K3VSA Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2008 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Cheapest way to D-STAR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Virtually all the D-STAR activity in my area is on 70cm, and I determined that the ICOM IC-U82 with the UT-118 digital card would be the most economical way to get into this. Another ham in our club had one for sale, so I went for it. Having already owned an IC-V8, I was not unfamiliar with ICOMs, and in fact, one of the selling points for me was my existing battery pack from the V8 would also work with the U82.
The radio was already programmed for my area, which was good, because in the manual, the instructions for the digital operation are rather confusing. The segmented display can be fun to decipher, too, so my advice is to spring for the cloning software and program it from your personal computer. Also, the UT-118 is only secured by the friction between the plug and socket, so fold up a paper shim to go between the card and the cover plate to keep it from becoming disconnected (it happened to me!) But these are all just nits. The radio works great, and I get lots of positive comments on how well it sounds on the air. I'm looking for another one for my ham XYL.

VK3JKI Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2006 08:54 Send this review to a friend
An excellent all rounder!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own many HT radio's, becoming quite a collector.
Usually I have a leaning toward dual banders for the versatility- but a good monobander can often out perform some dual band radio's which can have compromises to save internal space.
The U-82 is no exception. I really like this radio, having managed to pick up one very cheaply on Ebay complete with 5 BP-209 batteries and charger.
Very solidly built with obvious Land Mobile pedigree - and Icom have put the battery clip back on the radio, unlike the flimsy IC-T2H battery pack (BP-195) clips which are renowned for failure.
The size is just right and the unit is very easy to use if you have had experience with other Icom portables. Software programming is a must with 200 channels to fill- which could be very labour intensive if done by hand.
The receiver is excellent covering 400-479Mhz. Also has CTCSS, DCS and DTMF as standard.
For me, this radio is useful for Emergency Service receive, 70cm Ham and our UHF CB allocation at 477Mhz. Yes it also does TX across the range as well, with careful programming I can use the U82 on both 430Mhz and 477Mhz making it a dual bander of sorts! Thankfully you can select TX Inhibit in the Set Menu to prevent TX outside of license limits.
The dial on the top panel can be set as channel select or volume- depending on your preference.
The display is a bit small for my liking- but will allow 5 alpha characters to tag memories.
Menu settings can change the radio's behaviour from a true
Ham rig to a scaled down Land Mobile unit with reduced feature set. An excellent choice for emergency service use where personnel may not radio literate as such.
Battery life is also very good- 8 hours on receive no problem with the BP-209 1100Mah battery.
On air audio is typical Icom- very good.
The speaker mike connector is standard Icom dual socket- my old HM-46 speaker mics still work!
Antenna socket is the good old BNC.
I am now in the market to replace my IC-T2H with an IC-V82!
Please note the U82 is compatible with Icom's D-Star digital mode which I would really like to try- but the UT118 module costs more than the radio. Maybe one day.
73, Adam VK3JKI