Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Engineering Tilt-Base for Verticals Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Tilt-Base for Verticals
DX Engineering Tilt-Base for Verticals Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $39.95 to 59.95
Description: Stainless Steel Tilt Base. One person can easily walk down the antenna to tune or make repairs. Simply lift the antenna, tilt to the side and walk it down. After the antenna is up you tighten the bolts to the plate to keep it in place. Conveniently mounts to the same mast that you use for the antenna and radial plate

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Tilt-Base for Verticals.

W9ZB Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2010 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Piece of Hardware.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this tilt-over plate a couple of years after owning the Hustler 4BTV. I ordered it at the same time as ordering the 80 Meter coil & whip for the top of the vertical. I thought that I would be able to re-use the U-bolts that had been used to mount the vertical to a pipe in the ground as the way to mount the plate to the pipe. NO. Too narrow. Those become surplus. I had to temporarily use U-bolts purchased at a local hardware store until I got the correct ones from DX Engineering, and in fact, even though I studied their information on line, I still ordered the wrong ones. The best thing to do is call and talk to the guys there and place the order for this plate with them to be sure to get the right mounting hardware for your situation. Regarding radials, because I already had radials which would not have lent themselves to use of the radial plate, I didn't get that, but instead used a hole on the tilt base for connecting my radials. I had to modify one of the V-clamps to clear the bolt in that hole. I chose that hole because I didn't want the radials to have to rotate when tilting the antenna. Performance has been great. I bought a second 80 meter whip to allow covering the whole 75/80M band by lowering the antenna and changing whips and adjusting. The tilt base makes this a simple operation. Hint: If you don't get DXE's wing nuts for hand loosening/tightening, use a 7/16" nut driver (I have a Sears Model 41975) to ease the raising/lowering.
KC9NUE Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2009 17:01 Send this review to a friend
must have  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A must have item for Hustler 4 to 6BTV. Got the radial plate as well with a dozen or so radials ranging 10-75 feet. I had my 5BTV down at least 15 times tuning the traps so the tilt plate was a lifesaver. Real easy one person setup. I don't know how a person could tune one of these alone without the tilt mechanism. I didn't have quite the length recommended from the mounting pipe driven into the ground, yet still tilts fine. Indestructable quarter inch steel armor plate construction. Awesome.
W3END Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2009 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Great product well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well made, strong, and most of all very, very helpful when tuning or when high wind / bad weather conditions are in the forecast you simply "tilt" your antenna and lay it down. I also bought the quick release thumbwheels they make it even easier. DX is a great place to deal with, top notch customer service.
K9FON Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2008 19:17 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a timesaver and great quality!!!
This thing is HEAVY! I was half expecting it to be made out of light guage stainless steel but it is made out of 18 inch heavy guage stainless steel!!!!
VE1VOX Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2008 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Time saver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Used this base on my HyGain 5BTV. Makes tuning slick and easy. Built solid, should last forever. Great if you live in a high wind area, 2 minutes and its tilted over out of harms way.
K4ZNC Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2008 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Would buy no other  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently dismembered my 160 Cushcraft vertical so that I could make a dedicated 40 meter vertical. The tilt base was essential for getting the length right for the lowest possible SWR at 50 ohms at the base feedpoint. I don't have to bother the wife or 12 year old daughter with holding the vertical steady while I tjghten clamps and bolts for the 5th or 6th time. Extremely well constructed and easy to follow instructions.

John K4ZNC
WU8P Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2008 04:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Idea!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Another outstanding product from DX Engineering. Makes raising and lowering my Vertical a one man operation. Very heavy duty, and instructions couldn't be better.
WV1K Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Brilliant, especially if you're injured.

I wouldn't have been able to tune my Hustler 5 BTV without this tough as armor plate.

With sixteen seventy foot radials, it was a lengthy process of tuning the traps themselves as many owners know, so this was a lifesaver.

The days of steadying a vertical while slipping it over the pipe are over for me in more ways than one.
KE5OKQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Survived Hurricane IKE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My QTH was right in the path of Hurricane IKE early Saturday morning. I lost power and water Friday night and still haven't gotten it back as of Wednesday 9/17. Lost a huge oak that tore down the power lines and houses on three sides of me have big trees thru the roof.

Now the good news! I used my DX Engineering tilt mount on my Hy-Gain vertical and it survived without a scratch. What an investment.
W6ONV Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a ground mounted Hustler 6-BTV that I purchased from DXE back in 2007. It was only a few months ago I had problems with my HOA and in order to make my operating a but simpler I purchased the tilt-base from DXE.

I called DXE told them of my setup and Rod (I think was his name) set me up with all the hardware I needed. After priority shipping I received the tilt-base and installation (along with the radial plate) took about 10 minutes.

This has made tuning my vertical so much easier. All you do is loosen four nuts (untie the guy wires, if installed) and lower your vertical for any work you need to accomplish.

I have had a few issues when I try to lower the vertical that the bolts seems to stick in the precut tracks when I am lowering the vertical, which cause the antenna to get stuck at a 45 degree angle. I just need to raise and lower it again and it works just fine.

Great product! I highly recommend it for you BTV owners!