Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Heights Help

Reviews Summary for Heights
Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies depending on model
Description: High quality aluminum towers, stacked and telescoping.
More info: http://www.heightstowers.com

You can write your own review of the Heights.

WB0O Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 07:55 Send this review to a friend
WOW - What a great tower!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great Customer Support, Great Design, Great Tower! A+ This tower is tough! -very clean welds.

I waited a little more than a year before posting this review to ensure I give a fully-qualified opinion. I use e.ham.net often before I buy, and believe we all should post useful reviews here to help each other out.

Calling and emailing Katie at Heights Towers was a pleasure. She will walk you through all the steps necessary to ensure you get the right tower to fit your needs and budget. She will also ensure you get a safe tower that can support your antenna array and discuss with you such things as K-factor (twisting torque on the tower caused by your antenna) that many manufacturers overlook or don't discuss with you.

I selected a 56' self supporting tower that sits on a 4' high fold-over base (motorized). This thing is built like a tank! ....and after 30 years in the army, I know tanks ;)

When you have questions, you can easily talk to Katie or Drake (Company President). They truly gave me personal service and were available to help me each and every time I had a question.

The tower was FUN to assemble - no kidding. I had my neighbor help me with the base, as the custom rebar cage they build is heavy and more than I could handle by myself. However, after the concrete cured, I completed everything all by myself. I used a tall step ladder as an A-frame to help hold the lower (heavier) sections while I aligned them into place. After about the third section, they were light enough to slide into place without any assistance of my ladder.

It is a pleasure to raise and lower the tower as I want. This 60' tower (56' + 4' base) takes about ten minutes to fold to the ground where I can work on my antennas and cables with both feet firmly planted on the ground! The 110V motor has no problem with my tower, an 8 element log, a 40M dipole and my 2M vertical.

OK.. so now here I am about a year later, and wishing I had more gain on 40M and wishing I had 6M, so I decide to install the SteppIR 18.

I call Katie at Heights Towers and she is happy to help me with the math and understand how my tower will handle the larger antenna. This heavy SteppIR has a high K-factor, thus she recommended that I simply install a few aluminum rods on the lower section as "stiffener" and I am good-to-go.

This new antenna is also bigger than my log, so I would have problems clearing my house easily as it folding over. Again, no problem for Katie, she did a re-design and came up with a 70' solution that will make my antenna easily clear my house.

Clearly there isn't much profit when they sell you only one section of tower because you want to go a little bit higher, but I felt I was still getting the new-buyer treatment. Their customer support is absolutely top notch.

Feel free to contact me via email if you want photos of my installation.

Thanks Heights Towers for such a great tower and the superb customer support! A+

WF4W Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2014 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Incredible tower, Great Quality, Superb Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Heights 76' (4' base + 72' of tilt-over) and it is really impressive. The welds, the fit, the quality and the sturdiness are all outstanding.
Initially I contacted Heights and told them what I was looking for in height and capacity (Mosley PRO67-C at 135 pounds, plus rotor and two small antennas) and Drake provided me with a quote.

The cage arrived first and it was very well made. We got the hole cored, the cage set and the concrete poured. The rest of the tower arrived the same day so I only had to take one day off of work.

Drake and Katie were very responsive to questions and it made everything go pretty smoothly.

Watching this tower go up and down with the big Mosley on it is a very impressive sight! Everyone that has seen this tower is impressed. It is built like a tank!
The motor/screw arrangement that raises it up in down is also very impressive.
I had a minor problem with the tower starting up and with a couple of questions from Drake, via email, he quickly diagnosed that I had insufficient gauge wire for the power from the house out to the motor. I got that fixed and all is well.
This is a link for the pictures of the tower/antenna assembly from start to finish.

It is great to not have to climb a tower to work on antennas!!!
73, Tad, WF4W

K1TKL Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very nice welds, professionally done. The support from Katie and Drake was impeccable. Easy to talk to. This is one of the tilt over towers. I would suggest you take your time assembling the tower. I did all the work and assembly by myself. Including chipping through rock ledges for the foundation, to a depth of 8'1"!!!

Drake has these designed for ZERO clearance. So when you start putting the sections together he states you got to get at least one bolt hole out of the three to match in each of the three section assembly points. I only had one joint like this all the other joints were 2 matching up or all three matching up. Oh, and purchase the assembly lube they have for aluminum -- cheap and you won't regret the purchase. And make sure you purchase drift pins to ease the alignment.

K7ACZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2012 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower, Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a 40 ft crank up tower in 2003. With the fold over base and top mast it puts my F12 yagi about 60 ft into the air. It came fully assembled including the rotor. It went up easy and has been a great tower. The crank up feature is great and the fold over base is even better. It makes it so easy to install and do antenna work on the ground, no climbing! Last month (Dec 2011) I had some sort of wind burst and a center section got slightly bent and the tower would not crank down. I got outstanding help and support from the owner, Drake, on how to make repairs and what parts I needed. The parts were promptly shipped and all is well again. Not only do they make a great tower they stand behind it. I was way out of any warranty period but got all the support I could ever ask for. I highly recommend Heights Towers. My first choice was U.S. Towers due to seeing them at Visalia DX Conventions but they were unable or unwilling to provide me with 90 MPH wind calcs required by my city bldg dept. No problem with Heights!

WX4F Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 11:25 Send this review to a friend
This is a GREAT tower!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got the 56 foot (61 foot total with tilt-over base) in 2010 (installed since Nov 2010). This is a GREAT tower!! I got the motorized tilt-over option with the tilt-over base, and this thing is a dream. I have had it up and down around 10 times making changes, adding antennas, etc. Right now I have a 3 ele SteppIR at 65 feet (using a 20 foot aluminum mast with about 15 feet exposed above the tower top), a TV antenna at about 70 feet, and a 2m-440 MHz fiberglass whip at the top; with plenty of wind load to spare.
I looked at other manufacturers of crank up with tilt over, but decided on Heights since there are no cables, pulleys, etc. to fail or replace. Everything on this tower is accessible from the ground for preventive maintenance or if repair should ever be required. The aluminum is lightweight but very, very strong; easy to construct (all on the ground). Not cheap, but if looking for a crank up / tilt over, factor in all costs and I think these towers are comparable in total cost of ownership to the crank up models from others. Check out the Heights web site for more details. They are great folks to work with!!! A 5+ all the way around. Highly recommended for an "all on the ground" solution for anyone concerned about climbing or frequent changes to your set-up.

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2010 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is old news and Heights may have changed ownership several times since I bought mine. But my overall experience was a good one.

In 1975 I ordered a 48 ft self supporting Heights tower and proceded to dig the 4 x 5 x 5 ft hole by hand through clay soil. I wanted to be ready when it arrived. A couple months later it arrived, but weather had turned cold and I waited til spring to put it up. Bad move! The spring thaw heaved the surrounding dirt into the hole and I had to dig it out a second time! Oh well, I needed the exercize.

After putting in the base, and pouring the concrete, and waiting a month for it to cure, I found assembly of the tower to be easy, with all the parts, shims and spacers, and bolts accounted for. The welds looked very well done with nice slightly rippled professional looking welds.

The tower was sized to handle 8 sf of antenna/mast at 100 mph winds. Free standing. To that I added three guy wires, just in case, attached at the top.

I then assembled the HyGain 204BA, and its companion DB 10-15 yagi and mounted them on a 20 ft long 1/4" thick 3" mast of aircraft aluminum pipe and scheduled a tower party.

The tower went together and tilted up with no problems, although a neighbor was a rigger and made sure we had proper leverage and enough men on the ropes at tilt up time.

Seeing a nice shiny aluminum tower with a couple of yagis on top is truly a beautiful sight.

that night I made numerous contacts on 20M, and went to bed a very happy man. KABOOM! At midnight I sat up in bed following a flash and an immediate thunder clap that told me I had been hit and reminded me I had forgotten to ground the antennas. Oh, S___! Running down to the shack, I was relieved to find no fire, no major damage or charring. ( However, over the next 6 months I would find assorted damages clearly due to lightning, but nothing major to the shack. So, Guys, ground your antennas, even on Day 1!) Even in Syracuse, NY in the spring time. You are much more vulnerable to a lightning strike than ever before.

After major DXing success for three years, I moved to a new QTH. The tower came down no problem. I added another 8 ft to it and put it all back up at the new QTH, at 56 ft, where it survived many severe Syracuse winters with winds in the 60's.

I moved again 3 years later. It all came down and went back up with no problems at QTH #3, a nice spot near the top of a hill. This time I replaced the 204BA/DB 10-15 with a 32 foot long ( boom) KT-34XA and a 14 element 2M Yagi, and added qtr wave slopers for 40 and 80m. During the next 14 years, it survived two serious ice storms with c. 3/8" of ice. It also survived two nearby tornados that tore down trees just a half mile west. Again, winds in the 60-70 mph range happened several times a year. No tower problems were ever incurred.

In 1996, I again moved, and took down the tower. Inspecting it showed that the bolts anchoring the base section to the section sitting in concrete had enlarged the hole by about 20 per cent over the 20 years it had been up in the air, AND the bolts themselves had been worn away by perhaps 20%. So, time takes it s toll. Putting it up again would require shims and/or a larger bolts, and probably some downsizing of the maximum load.

As it turned out, I moved to a deed restricted area and and didnt have the chance to put it up again.

Lessons learned:

1. Oversize your tower to its expected load. A few years after moving to my last QYH we had a storm that snapped off 3 trees just behind the house and recorded 134 mph on my weather station. The house sustained minor damage and the tower was not erected so I may have lucked out. It looked like a funnel cloud that never quite touched down at my QYH, but did serious damage a mile west of me.

2. Dont be afraid to guy a so-called self supporting tower.

3. Have an engineer check out your mast material for yield strength. My 20 ft mast sat 8 ft into the tower section and projected 12 ft above it. It would sway somewhat but never bent during the many high wind storms we experienced in Upstate NY and Ohio over the years. I learned from experience to trust that 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum.

4. All my yagis were rated to 80 mph winds. The 14 year old 204BA had an element come loose and rotate out of position one January. And a few years later, one of the U bolts in the boom to mast clamp snapped and the antenna dangled for a few months until weather allowed me to replace the bolt. I attribute that to the cherry picker guys overtightening it on reinstallation.

5. Wind storms have an entirely different meaning once you have yagis on a tower. You follow the weather. You watch the tower and yagis for motion. You dont sleep quite as well during severe weather.

6. But you really work the world!

7. And Oh Yes: towers make a great place to hang quarter wave slopers. On 40-80 and 160m. simple slopers can crack pile ups like you wouldnt believe.

8. And finally, towers have a useful life. Watch their joints for "arthritis of the tower." After 15-20 years you may want to downsize their load, or at least make sure its well below the new rating.

Good luck with yours.

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2009 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned towers for 40 of the almost 50 years I have had a Amateur License, they have ranged in size from 60 to 100 feet and for the most part have been guyed Rohn 45 sections. For all these years I have done all the climbing and tower and antenna installations myself. With a little bit of begging, I was occasionally able to get friends or family to act as ground help.
Having turned 62, I decided as retirement present to myself I was going to get a "tilt-over" tower and finally hang up my climbing belt. Besides the Texas summers are to hot and I am getting to old to be climbing, the old bones do not bend like they used to.
Having heard all the terrible stories about crankup and telescoping towers (just look below),I have always sworn I would never own one.
Deciding that I wanted to do all my antenna work on the ground, or with a short ladder, a tilt over was my only option.
After doing a lot of home work, and having conversations with 8 owners of Heights Towers, all being VERY positive with only one negative (see below), I decided on a Heights.
I will save the time to describe my installation as it is all on http://dodropin.org/w5jon.html or go to W5JON on QRZ.
Over the past months my weather station has recorded wind gusts in excess of 50 miles per hour. When I have personally observed gusts, there is plenty of antenna motion, but no tower movement.
Having been in the oil busines for 30 years I have many friends that know welds, and welding. All that have seen my tower close up have commented on the class welding job, materials used and construction.
I am VERY pleased with my Heights Tower.
Dealing with Katie, at Heights was a pleasure to work with, she put together the perfect tower package to fit my requirements.
BTW, the only negative is you my want to multiply any delivery dates quoted by Pi, but it was well worth the wait.
GREAT TOWER.
John W5JON

NA5Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2008 07:13 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TOWER - NIL CLIMBING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a Heights Tower - 72 ft. with fold-over kit for a total height of 77 ft. 32 sq ft. windload for almost 4 years now. It has withstood 60-70 mph winds with a 22 ft. mast (110 lbs.), Yaesu 2800 rotator, Optibeam 12-4, M2 5el 6m and Cushcraft WARC antenna on it for a total weight of approx. 260 lbs. Tower handles all this with no difficulty.

After 8 ft. deep by 4 ft. wide hole was drilled and concrete poured and allowed to dry for 3 weeks, the tower put together in 2 1/2 hours. Sections were easy for one to two person to handle. I had a tower party of 4 person, but really would have needed less. See construction details at: http://www.na5q.us/antennas.htm and http://www.na5q.us/tower.htm

During Hurricane Rita, I tilted the tower down so the boom of the Optibeam antenna was on the ground, then strapped to ties to small ground anchors. This kept the tower from swaying side to side. This worked FB with winds that were recorded up 110 mph. Raising and lowering the tower takes approximately 14 minutes.

I am very pleased with this tower, it works for me and keeps my feet on the ground. At the most a small step ladder is used for antenna adjustments. I am thinking of upgrading my antenna to a Steppir in the future with a tilt plate to make the small step ladder obsolete.

I have recommended the tower to friends and would buy another if need be.

W6CJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2008 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Used in Public Safety Communications  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've ordered a Heights 80-foot ground mounted aluminum tower back in 2003, and one of their 48-foot aluminum towers in 2006. These installations were for Amateur repeater (and Public Safety) antennas, to be co-located on the same towers, so no lightweight or hobby towers needed apply. The weight, moment, and other issues were calculated by engineers on my side and Heights Towers supplied drawings and their engineering input. Our 80-footer holds five Stationmaster antennas and two 800-MHz panels. Our 48-footer holds two five-element fixed mount yagis.
In 2003, I had one small issue with Heights (then) subcontractor installer, for which Heights apologized and remedied the problem. For the 2007 installation, the owner himself travelled out to our site and supervised.
It paid to obtain all the drawings and do the foundation and tower engineering in advance and Heights patiently explained our weight and wind loading options so I could make the best and safest choice. The cost was better than steel and I could not find other "one-stop-shopping" tower vendors who seemed to have the time for me.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2007 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Easy way to work on antennas  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the 56' 23 sq ft @ 80MPH model (26-225 tapering to 18-131 sections) along with the Fold-over kit (5' base for a total height of 61').

It only took me and my wife to put it up. Hand carried all the sections.

Takes about 10 minutes and the whole tower folds over in one piece so all work can be done standing on the ground or with no more than a small step ladder. The nice part about this is I can run heavier heliax than what I could do with the crank-down fold-over I had before.

Pictures on my website http://www.mitchelson.org