Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Heights Help

Reviews Summary for Heights
Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies depending on model
Description: High quality aluminum towers, stacked and telescoping.
More info: http://www.heightstowers.com

You can write your own review of the Heights.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2007 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Easy way to work on antennas  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the 56' 23 sq ft @ 80MPH model (26-225 tapering to 18-131 sections) along with the Fold-over kit (5' base for a total height of 61').

It only took me and my wife to put it up. Hand carried all the sections.

Takes about 10 minutes and the whole tower folds over in one piece so all work can be done standing on the ground or with no more than a small step ladder. The nice part about this is I can run heavier heliax than what I could do with the crank-down fold-over I had before.

Pictures on my website http://www.mitchelson.org

W9SN Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2005 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Tower!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my new 78 ft. Heights tower in May 05’. I got everything for it including, rotor plate, 2 inch mast, fold-over kit, leg kit, grounding kit, rebar cage, and motor drive. I wanted a complete tower that I did not have to piece together later.
This is exactly what I got. I simply called the factory and talked to Drake himself and had many questions. He was patient with me and helped.
I got the rebar cage and tower legs within 2 weeks and cemented them into the ground right away so cement could cure before it all arrived.
It was a long wait to get it. It did not arrive till August. IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT! I was blown away how large of a tower this was. The diameter and thickness of the legs are outstanding and impressive! The pictures on Heights website don't do this tower justice. It is more impressive in person.
The 8 ft sections are heavier than a steel tower by far. It takes 2 men to assemble it and eat your wheaties first. The motor drive is so slick! I simply pull a locking bolt and flip a switch. 10 minutes later, it is laid over on the ground and will stay there forever if I wish. When I am finished, I flip the switch and back up she goes.
It has been up about a month and I have lowered it 10 times or so installing antennas, feeds, and ect. Not a moments troubles with it. I have never heard any “clanging” like in a previous post. It is quiet as a mouse and even when it is going over, you would never know it unless you are looking at it. The local hams are still in disbelief how impressive this system it.
We have only had 35 mph winds since installation and the tower hardly moved at all! I was expecting more movement with an aluminum tower. But this is so massive, that it stood completely still. I would not be afraid of maxing this tower out.
This tower is 77’ tall (including the fold over base) and rated at 35 sq. ft. windloading in 80 MPH winds. I have approximately 15 sq ft up there now and more to go up yet.
I had debated strongly between this and US Tower’s steel crank up. Both were close in price, but I liked because of less maintenance and never any rust to worry about. On crank-ups, there are cables and pulleys to contend with over time. This tower only has 2 moving parts. The screw (which is 1.25 inch in diameter, almost 6 ft long, and weighs nearly 50 pounds) should outlive me, and the motor drive. The motor drive is held by 4 bolts and is only 4 ft off the ground. If it should ever quit, it would be a 5 minute job by one man to change and much cheaper than the motor drives for crank-ups.
This was not a cheap tower in price, but it is not a cheap tower in design! I didn’t have to hire a crane to get it out of a truck ( I brought it home from the trucking terminal in my pick-up by myself), or use one to erect it.
No, I cannot lower it out of a storm like a crank-up tower, but I over-engineered it for my personal requirements and should not need worry. In deciding your next, first, or last tower, this should be a major consideration.
Should you like the see my installation and on-going pictures as I continue to grow with this tower, you can check it out here: http://www.w9sn.com/heights.htm
I have had many towers over the years, self supporting, crank-ups, 100 ft guyed towers, and ect. This by far is the easiest to work on, strongest, least maintenance, and will be longest lasting one yet.

N4IS Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2005 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Tower for a life time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best system you can buy. I can change my mast preamp or tune my 2m antenna at 100 ft high in less than 1 hour. Living in South Florida the flexibility to fold it over and remove my antennas to face an hurricane is a must. It can be done in one hour. I installed my towers back in 2001, one 40 ft for UHF and the main one for 160m with 116 ft high, working as a full size 1/4 wave shunt feed at 24ft, bellow the F.O.K..
The folder system F.O.K allow me to change the configuration of my antenna system during one weekend as I need it and this is priceless for me.Pic's at my site www.n4is.com
Carlos
N4IS

KE4D Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2004 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used 40 Heights tower in October of 2004. After packing the entire tower on the top of my Chevy Tracker and toting it home to south Florida from north Georgia behind my motorhome, I called Heights to order a hinged base and rebar cage. I was told, no problem, a couple of weeks for delivery. A couple of weeks later, I dug my hole in the back yard and called Heights to inquire as to the exact delivery date. I was informed that it would arrive in "a couple of weeks". Expressing my displeasure, I reminded Drake that I had already dug the hole. He told me that he wished folks wouldn't do that. I told him I would have waited had he not told me a "couple of weeks". My next call was " a couple of weeks" later. Still no hinged base and rebar cage. but soon. Around the first of December, I called again and was told a couple of days. About a week later, I got an email with a shipping notice and a tracking number. The tracking number never worked and the two day delivery time turned in to a week. So my "couple of weeks" turned into almost two months. A "couple of months" told to me up front would have been a better way to handle this in my opinion.
However, this is my sixth tower and it is a very well built product. The rebar cage was awesome and the newer flat bar template a big improvement over other templates I have used. Drake has been very helpful with technical advice and I certainly would consider buying more or even a new tower from Heights. I just won't expect quick delivery times!

WA9ENA Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2004 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Brings the skyhooks to you in grand style  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Heights makes many models of towers. My new one is the FOK-72-31-80, which means it is 72 feet high and is rated to carry 31 sq. ft. of load at 80 mph wind speed. It is FULLY self-supporting, and the "FOK" suffix means that this tower has the Fold Over Kit on it. The FOK, along with the 4 ft. base section, brings total tower height to 77 feet. Due to tower size, the FOK is motor-driven by a 1/2 horse gear motor with 80:1 reduction. The unit is rated to handle the tower while carrying 300 lbs. of load at the top.

First, why this tower? Simple, really: I am a VHF/UHF fan and investigated the GME Hazer system as an alternative at much less cost. (Due to arthritis in my ankles, climbing is out.) The Hazer's spacing with respect to the tower would have caused me to re-design my main 2m beams used for weak signal (horizontal polarity) in order to avoid crashing elements into the tower. Also, the fact that the coax must travel up and down with the Hazer makes it not well suited to use of hard line coax. So, by installing all cables inside the tower and securing them, this tower brings all antennas and related hardware down to me whenever I so want. The average distance above ground when I have the tower laid over is 4 to 5 feet, which is just right for most of my antennas.

The tower itself is a brute - 35 inches across at the base, tapering in steps to 14 inches at the top. I ordered the full FOK, motor system, rebar cage for the concrete base, and grounding kit. Heights provided drawings that enabled me to get quotes from the concrete contractor and provide proper installation of the very large base bolts. Their inclusion of a template set for setting the bolts within the rebar cage speeds the installation and assures proper alingment. The hole for the base was dug to about 8.5 feet, keeping the sides straight, and we used just under 8 yards of 3000 psi concrete to fill the hole. Look at the wind load numbers on the Heights web site and you'll see why you need some real beef in the base.

The info packet from Heights lists tools you will need to assemble the tower. Be SURE you have the drift pin. The holes are drilled with high precision, and you will need that pin to "pull" sections into alignment so you can insert the stainless steel bolts. Be sure to lube the mating surfaces with an anti-sieze compound. Yes, assembly is done with the tower horizontal.

The fit on this thing is amazing. The entire tower pivots over on two 1" dia. Grade 8 steel bolts, with an acme rod being driven by the motor controlling the drop or lift. A third bolt locks the tower when it is fully upright, and everything glides into alignment perfectly each time I have raised it.

My summary thus far: I have a "tree" of VHF/UHF antennas that are mounted to a 20 foot high strength, thick wall alloy mast. Five feet of the mast are inside the tower and attach to the Yaesu G1000-DXA rotator. The other 15 feet protrude above the Rohn TB-3 thrust bearing that is up on the bearing plate. I estimate my present set of antennas at a total of only about 10 sq. ft., so I have a lot of expansion capability. I estimate the weight of the rotor, top coax, mast, and antennas to be around 60 to 80 pounds, so there is room there, as well. I like to experiment, and I also know that I'll be mounting more antennas next Spring on side arms near the top.

This is an aluminum alloy tower. It will swing and sway in the wind. It just got hit with sustained 50 to 60 mph winds yesterday (12-12) at our Iowa QTH. It wiggled a lot, but it's all there! The welded Z-braces make for a very strong structure.

A word about grounding: Heights supplied 3 very hefty 10 foot by 5/8" dia. rods, one per tower leg, plus 3 pre-cut grounding lead jumpers and a set of stainless steel grounding clips on the tower base. This is the correct way to go. Given the all-aluminum tower, the SS clips nicely interface the ground leads to the tower structure. Despite their size, I was able to pound in the large rods manually, using a post pounder tool.

So, what didn't I like. Just two things: if you look at my previous review of Heights, you'll see that delivery for those parts was very slow. Drake Dimitri and his crew got most of this tower ready to ship in about 4 weeks, but then he ran into a materials problem for some of the alloy rod used for the Z-braces. That took awhile. So, delivery was a bit slower than planned, but Drake did keep me informed of the problem. The other issue has to do with lubrication. The info packet was quite clear about lubricating the acme rod that carries all of the stress when lowering or raising, and Heights supplied the recommended lubricant. What they didn't provide was clear details about lubrication of other parts. I exchanged some e-mail with Mr. Dimitri about that and he agreed with my comments.

This tower does all that I expected, and does it well. It is pricey, but you get value for the price and that's what it's all about. This type of tower is not for everyone, but I do highly recommend it for those who can not climb and who work the upper bands, where you will use hardline. You would also save on cost if you do not need the motor drive, but the 72 foot tower requires it. I needed the height so that some nearby hills could be cleared for true "line-of-sight" communications.

K1JN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2000 23:19 Send this review to a friend
I'm a believer...  Time owned: unknown months
I put up a used 72' Heights aluminum freestanding tower 18 months ago and have had no problems with it. It has the fold over hinge at the 16' level and is operated from ground level. I have lowered and raised the tower twice by myself. This tower is a great option if you don't want or can't have guys. You can see pictures of my tower project at www.99main.com/~k1jn/tower.htm

W3VUH Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2000 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Very nice tilt-over tower, easy to operate.  Time owned: unknown months
I purchased a used Heights fixed 48-foot, 15 sq ft. rated, self-supporting tower from a local ham. I then ordered the 4-ft. tilt-over stand from Heights with the screw operated tilt-over feature. Installation of the base and tower was routine. The tower tilts to the horizontal position(or below), and will remain, unsupported in any position between the vertical and the horizontal, which allows working on the antenna in any position you like. A 1/2 inch drive ratchet wrench is all that is needed to raise and lower the tower. An electrically operated drive is also available. I'm very pleased with this tower.