Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | RadioWavz Carolina Windom Help

Reviews Summary for RadioWavz Carolina Windom
RadioWavz Carolina Windom Reviews: 7 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $$75
Description: The RadioWavz Carolina Windom is ideal for those of you who do not use a tower and beam. It's also ideal for those who want a high performance antenna with world class DX coverage 80, 40, 30, 17, and 12 meters.
More info: http://www.radiowavz.com/html/carolina_windom.htm

You can write your own review of the RadioWavz Carolina Windom.

N4OAA Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Good for restricted operations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in an HOA-controlled community that does not allow antennas. I only have a couple of trees to attach the antenna to, so my configuration is not even close to a proper installation (long end goes from the balun to a tree about 20 feet high at an angle; the short end goes from the balun to a tree about 6 feet high so I have about 3 feet of wire hanging down the side of the tree trunk). Despite this terrible installation, I have been making great contacts on bands 40-10. Customer Service is outstanding. I spoke to "HJ" twice and he took time answering all of my questions. Highly recommended!

VE3HG Rating: 0/5 Jun 30, 2012 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seems I'm not alone with issues with the 40-10 OCF dipole. Others complaining of same issue. Couldn't tune it on Field Day so tried at home. With the antenna 30' up and a 50' piece of coax only dip was at 16 MHz. Added 100' of coax and no real dips but everything 3:1 and over. Going back to a G5RV-JR which loads just fine. BTW Par end feed antennas (40-20 and 40-20-10) under 2:1 without trimming. Very happy with them. Radiowavz: Not so much. Disappointing to say the least.

K6CA Rating: 0/5 Aug 27, 2008 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Trash!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the Windom as a flat top at 40 feet. Plugged in the feedline and thought I had selected the dummy load. The SWR was over 10:1 on all bands, I thought for sure the feed line must be bad. Bought some shiny new coax, re-installed the so-called antenna and got the same results. Hard to believe that any sort of a length of wire could be so attenuated.
Emailed RadioWavz about a return and was told that I don't know how to install antennas. Tried 3 more times to communicate with no reply.
We might be called amateurs, but people that take our money are not supposed to be amateurs. Support your product you losers.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2008 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Still a Great Wire Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well here we are again, this is an update to my review of the Carolina Windom by RadioWavz. It is still up @ 36' and still one of my best antennas. I use it mainly on my Yaesu rigs. Usually my FT-897D, and my FT-817D, I really like this antenna with the QRP rig. I tuned it up the other night using my 817, and my Daiwa tuner, was tuning around 40 meters, heard some one calling CQ and gave him a shout. Now mind you this was on 40 meters, around 6-6:30pm, had a LOT of QRM, we had to move up a couple of Kc, but we did and managed to have about a 5-6 min QSO. All that from a piece of wire up 36', AMAZING. So yea my little 67' Windom will stay right where it is thank you very much.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2007 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Wire Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know I know, posting after only having used it a couple of weeks isn't really giving the unit a thorough test. But, I piked up the 40-10 meter version of this antenna, as my city lot wont accomodate anything longer.

This is really my first time using a multi-band wire antenna, I've built a 40 and 20 meter bazooka (inverted Vee), a friend of mine has a multi band wire up and I've used his a time or 2, but to actually go, get one put it up and use it, I'm a cherry.

I picked up this little gem in Dayton, brought it home put it up,hooked up my tuner and WOW! I do have a GAP Titan verticle up that covers 80-10 meters, don't get me wrong I love my Titan, it has been my work horse since I put it up over 2 yrs ago, upgrading from the GAP Challenger to the Titan. But the difference is night and day from the GAP to the Windom, which is to be expected going from a vertically polarized antenna to a horizontaly polarized antenna.

I have my Windom up as an inverted Vee, as I said, my city lot I don't have a lot of room, and thanks to some nasty little storms called hurricanes, I have no tree to speak of. So as an inverted Vee up approximately 36' it works exceptionally well. Tunes w tuner 1:1 40-10 meters. Checked on 80 got it down to 1.1:1 AND I was even able to tune 160 meters to a respectable 1.3:1 all in all I am very pleased with this antenna. I will give this another review in several months and we'll see where we are then.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

KC0WGB Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my fourth RadioWavz antenna. Like the others, I have had absolutely no problems with this antenna. I have found that the RadioWavz tech support is on a par with or even better than many other tech support departments I have had dealings with even with such companies as AOL or HP. The answers I have gotten from Emmett or Rochelle have been spot on and have answered my questions completely.

N8TNJ Rating: 0/5 Apr 20, 2007 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased their 40 meter windom. After some shipping problems I finally got the antenna. After taking down a well used G5RV and putting up the windom, I turned on the radio. Not a lot for signals, I just thought the bands were dead. Hooked up the g5rv and it sounded almost like a beam antenna. (laying on the ground)The website says you do not need a tuner for 10, 20, 40 meters. Put my analyzer on the antenna and it showed a s.w.r. of a 3 and over on all the bands. Called Emmett and he told me "oh you need a choke on the antenna". The instructions that came with the antenna said nothing about a choke, but no big deal. Pulled it down from 65ft for the 5th or 6th time an wound a choke in the coax. Back to my analyzer with almost the same readings. Called Emmett back on the 11th and said a new antenna would be sent out 4/13/07. As of 4/20/07 have not seen an antenna. Boxed up and sent the non working one in today. I would rather try to forget this purchase. And get my money back!