Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 332 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

EI3GD Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 03:13 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was on the fence for weeks, could not decide between the IC7000 and the Kenwood 480, both have good reviews.

I was worried about the IC7's reported issues i.e. Low audio, overheating but I decided to go for it anyway.

Picked up a used model and to my great relief I found the audio to be superb, I'm getting great reports on SSB and FM.

Talkpower is really great, averaging 75w on my Daiwa power meter, far more than other rigs I have tested.

It does get warm after extended use, but the case never exceeds 45 degrees C before the fan engages. I'm happy that Icom know what they are doing in this respect.

The range of features are fantastic for a small rig. In many ways comparable to the superb Pro 3.
IF DSP is just like the Pro 3, very effective,
NB is VERY good with adjustable width.
NR is superb, makes for easy listening.

Not having to buy extra filters is a comfort and offsets the extra 100 Euro I paid vs other mobile rigs.

I don't use Auto ATU mobile so I don't miss it, I'd rather have a matched antenna vs loosing transfer power in an ATU.

A single head cable is also perfect for mobile use, easier to run through the car.

Perhaps I was lucky, but no mods needed for this IC 7000, it works a treat!.

Ray
EI3GD

KD2FIP Rating: 2/5 May 24, 2015 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Take a Pass  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FIRST and LAST last ICOM. I bought this radio because of all the "features", 100W, lots of filter choices, Icom Reputation. Paid over $1200.00 for this radio, got the 2 year extended warranty, had the radio about 2 months and it simply popped and let out all the smoke.

I was Running the radio off a Powerwerx SS-30DV power supply. HRO said that the radio was under Icom's warranty, so I call them up. Ship them the radio and they tell me that it's NOT under warranty because it was overvolted! (Funny how none of my other radios using the same power supply are still working just fine eh?)

Fight with ICOM for a week or so and they finally let me buy a "REFURB" for $450.00. Get the radio back, it works, then it doesn't, then it does.

What do you think the chances are that I'll send this radio back to ICOM? Right, ZERO.

Power off is intermittent, the filters are a joke and all in all, I have a $1700.00 doorstop. Buy a Yaesu or a Kenwood or an Elecraft and you'll be ahead of the game.

W4XEN Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2015 20:53 Send this review to a friend
I'm very satisfied but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not going to write a lot. I think other reviewers hit some good points on the good and the bad. This was my first HF radio so I will always remember my IC-7000. Lots of great contacts and memories.

I used it mainly as a base station and a couple times portable. Mode wise, I used it mostly for digital PSK (and others).

My pros:
- It's powerful (100w and loads of capabilities)
- All mode and all band capability
- Tons of features that work and work well
- It has a great instruction manual
- It's small for its capabilities
- Not a tough learning curve for menus and features.

My cons:
- It gets hot and is not good for lengthy continuous mode work (PSK, Packet). It works good for short QSOs but I couldn't work for more than roughly 30 mins (equal TX and RX time) without taking time for it to cool down. I know this dead horse has been beat here in its reviews, but its true and not a good choice for digital operation.
- The final driver on mine blew (doing WINMOR email) and I had to send in for repair ($100 cost). It was repaired and the Icom tech told me this was a common problem, so be aware of that.
- It's not the best at staying connected to a computer. Sometimes it won't respond to the PTT command and has a weak relay in that regard.
- Mic is mediocre

I hate bashing this radio as it does well what it was designed for and I believe that is mobile/portable operation, not base station work (but it served well, but not perfect, for years in that capacity for me).

As far as hardware, it rocks. Comes with a faceplate extension cord, has all the right connections in the back for every kind of operation, big tuning knob is nice, mic has tons of control buttons for the radio, voice recorder, cw keyer, and more. It's got a lot of bells and whistles for is size and fills a lot of gaps. It did for me.

If it performed better (by just a little bit) on digital modes, I would have given 5 stars, but the overheating is just annoying. It is workable though as you can do fan mods but stock, it's 4 stars for me. Hope this helps.

NV2A Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
poorly engineered IMHO  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are going to buy one I suggest you use that sucker hard while it is still under warranty. I bought one with the intention of installing it in my travel trailer, I used it for about 2 hours in that application. It sat in a plastic storage container for 2 years or more. I did a temporary setup on pickup truck tailgate just to see everything work before installing it in the cab proper. Wife calls me in for lunch, turned the unit off and when I came back out 30 minutes later and turned it on it would not transmit. Called Icom America and they said to send it to SARs in Michigan. They replaced the "digital board" and wrapped me $425.00. When you buy ham gear now that everything is being rushed to market make sure you use it hard while under warranty. I've bought my last Icom for sure. The old days of companies owning up to poor design issues is over for the most part.

KI4RYV Rating: 3/5 Feb 27, 2015 12:02 Send this review to a friend
poor audio in and out. Good power and features for its size.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine since 2007. I just cant listen to it. The RX audio is awful and there is a guy out there making a living fixing the awful mike. For people who dont have a good grasp on audio quality they could tolerate the crashes and noise and poor speech in and out of the radio but it fatigues me. Even Sherwood Engineering not only rank it low but Rob said he sold his after owning it about a month. I still have mine but dont use it. I packed it in a go box because thats its only positive. Lots of features in a small box and good power out for its size.

If wondering what radios would I be comparing it too. Not $5k+ super radios. Just normal stuff. Ten Tec Eagle, Yaesu FT1000D, Ten Tec Omni V, Yeasu FT990. Most of these radio are much older than the 7000 but do a better job and more pleasurable to listen too...

N6ERP Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2015 03:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Attempt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On the positive side, this radio has a lot of features packed into a small chassis. Removable/Remote head is nice, display is pretty good for it's size. The knobs & button functions are reasonable to operate - considering how many features this little radio has. Receive is decent, I really like the dual manual notch filters, plus, the ability to have the auto notch on at the same time. NR - decent, NB - good, Rx audio quality is average (with an external speaker).

The negative sides are enough to make me wonder how people are rating this rig a 5 when first off, the stock hand mic is a total joke.. It sounds terrible, with popping, breath noise, creeking as you move it, and sounds like you're talking into a tin can. Also, feels like a cheap toy. Yes, you can play with the audio settings to get the hollow sound minimized, but still not very good. People that know that distinctive sound of a 7000 can pick one out on the air in no time. Yes, you can send it away and have the mic modded for 50 bucks, but.. You shouldn't have to.. There is also a clicking noise in the tx that I'm guessing is coming from an internal CPU/DSP clock chip. Before someone claims that it's from a switching power supply, I'll eliminate that theory because I'm using pure DC - off grid, powered directly from a large battery bank. My TS-870, IC-7600 or K3 never had a phantom tx clicking noise using the same setup. Could go on about the tx audio, but it's plain, sub par. Next, the radio runs way too hot. Even only on receive its cooking. Yes, their is an accessory fan you can buy on ebay made especially for this rig.. Why? Because it's a reliability problem and the electronics can't last at those temps. Something has got to give. Speaking of failures, this model icom is well known for burning the driver section out of the PA. This radio is notorious for blowing the PA. My friend's 7000 fried twice within about a 3 month period (including factory repair time, and only running HF w/ a known good SWR). The second time, it poured out the smoke. Icom continuously claims ESD causes the problem. IMO, that is a convenient excuse for a poor design. The band scope is a gimmick (barely practical), and the SWR meter only works on the HF bands. Ok, so this is sounding pretty negative now, so all I'm going to say is again.. How are people giving this radio a 5 out of 5 rating?? I've heard some of these issues have been fixed in the new 7100 version. That would be great, because it would be nice to have all of those features in a compact, mobile radio, as long as they work.. The 706 is a well known workhorse. Not sure this model will ever match up to its predecessor. I sold mine cheap before the time bomb went off inside. Even if only half of my opinions are accurate, it's not a 5 out 5 rig. I'll give it a 4 (benefit of the doubt), Ymmv.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2014 16:52 Send this review to a friend
ABSOLUTELY GOOD!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this wonderful radio for a while now and have had no problems at all. There is that common complaint about the radio getting hot. I simply put a small fan on top of the radio where the internal fan is at and WALA!!!! no more overheating problem.
There are those who would whine and complain about this issue and not do anything about it, instead of finding a simple solution to it.
My 7000 has performed better than any of my other radios whether in the house or out on the field.
There's always going to be some people complain about a radio they have, , but to me, just find a simple solution instead of whining like a little spoiled brat.
MY IC-7000? is simply wonderful

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Radio!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my IC-7000 at Dayton of 2013 and have loved this radio! All my other radios are ICOM so being already familiar with the ICOM "menus" I found the radio quite easy to operate. I have always been told that I had good audio. Some reviews say their audio was not so good so I don't understand that - I guess your have to read the manual and set the mic gain and compression accordingly. All in all, I like the 7000 and I'm glad I have two (yes, I have two of them...). If you're looking for a small radio - then I would recommend the 7000.

N8CVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Reduced Transmit Power (FETs)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All,

I just received my IC7000 back from Icom Repair in St. Joseph, MI (Tech named Matt, very conscientious and communicative). The rig was making reduced power output on bands below 15m, dropping down to 10 watts on 160m. Cause given was leaky Power FETs needing replacement. I asked Matt for likely cause of failure, and was told: 'most likely auto-tuner'. Well, I'm guilty as charged. I do use an auto-tuner (SGC MAC200, works great). I replied that I -TRY- to remember to reduce power when tuning, and Matt advised that may not be good enough to avoid the problem, as even at low power momentary high VSWRs can cause a high reflected -VOLTAGE- that can damage those FETs. Makes sense ! So $250 (plus outbound shipping ~$25) and 3 weeks later, the IC7000 is back to its good old 100 watts on all HF bands (provided it has ~13.8vdc supply, at 12 volts it'll do around 50w). From now on I'll be tuning the auto-tuner at lowest output of 1-3%, which shows ~2 watts on the Bird.
Also, if you're experiencing reduced xmit, first check your DC, especially high resistance fuse contacts dropping power by ~50%. This seems to be a very common occurrence for many 7000 users.

I give the 7000 a [5] rating for being such a full-featured xceiver in such a small portable/mobile package. Just be nice to the FETs !

73, N8CVW

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Really nice rig. No Complaints whatsoever. The dual notch filters are awesome when conditions are no good and the bands are broke. Being an "all band all mode radio", the need for multiple radios in the shack is eliminated. Coupled with the heil headset, I dont want another radio. I was hesitant to get this radio due to not so good reviews left in the past but to me this radio seems to be doing a jam up rig. Another great advantage is that an external monitor can be hooked up. While the size of the screen is not all that small when I'm in the shack late at night or early in the morning I like to turn and kick my feet up. So I may not be right in front of the rig. No problems, good radio, I definitely recomend it.