Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 329 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

NV2A Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
poorly engineered IMHO  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are going to buy one I suggest you use that sucker hard while it is still under warranty. I bought one with the intention of installing it in my travel trailer, I used it for about 2 hours in that application. It sat in a plastic storage container for 2 years or more. I did a temporary setup on pickup truck tailgate just to see everything work before installing it in the cab proper. Wife calls me in for lunch, turned the unit off and when I came back out 30 minutes later and turned it on it would not transmit. Called Icom America and they said to send it to SARs in Michigan. They replaced the "digital board" and wrapped me $425.00. When you buy ham gear now that everything is being rushed to market make sure you use it hard while under warranty. I've bought my last Icom for sure. The old days of companies owning up to poor design issues is over for the most part.

KI4RYV Rating: 3/5 Feb 27, 2015 12:02 Send this review to a friend
poor audio in and out. Good power and features for its size.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine since 2007. I just cant listen to it. The RX audio is awful and there is a guy out there making a living fixing the awful mike. For people who dont have a good grasp on audio quality they could tolerate the crashes and noise and poor speech in and out of the radio but it fatigues me. Even Sherwood Engineering not only rank it low but Rob said he sold his after owning it about a month. I still have mine but dont use it. I packed it in a go box because thats its only positive. Lots of features in a small box and good power out for its size.

If wondering what radios would I be comparing it too. Not $5k+ super radios. Just normal stuff. Ten Tec Eagle, Yaesu FT1000D, Ten Tec Omni V, Yeasu FT990. Most of these radio are much older than the 7000 but do a better job and more pleasurable to listen too...

N6ERP Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2015 03:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Attempt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On the positive side, this radio has a lot of features packed into a small chassis. Removable/Remote head is nice, display is pretty good for it's size. The knobs & button functions are reasonable to operate - considering how many features this little radio has. Receive is decent, I really like the dual manual notch filters, plus, the ability to have the auto notch on at the same time. NR - decent, NB - good, Rx audio quality is average (with an external speaker).

The negative sides are enough to make me wonder how people are rating this rig a 5 when first off, the stock hand mic is a total joke.. It sounds terrible, with popping, breath noise, creeking as you move it, and sounds like you're talking into a tin can. Also, feels like a cheap toy. Yes, you can play with the audio settings to get the hollow sound minimized, but still not very good. People that know that distinctive sound of a 7000 can pick one out on the air in no time. Yes, you can send it away and have the mic modded for 50 bucks, but.. You shouldn't have to.. There is also a clicking noise in the tx that I'm guessing is coming from an internal CPU/DSP clock chip. Before someone claims that it's from a switching power supply, I'll eliminate that theory because I'm using pure DC - off grid, powered directly from a large battery bank. My TS-870, IC-7600 or K3 never had a phantom tx clicking noise using the same setup. Could go on about the tx audio, but it's plain, sub par. Next, the radio runs way too hot. Even only on receive its cooking. Yes, their is an accessory fan you can buy on ebay made especially for this rig.. Why? Because it's a reliability problem and the electronics can't last at those temps. Something has got to give. Speaking of failures, this model icom is well known for burning the driver section out of the PA. This radio is notorious for blowing the PA. My friend's 7000 fried twice within about a 3 month period (including factory repair time, and only running HF w/ a known good SWR). The second time, it poured out the smoke. Icom continuously claims ESD causes the problem. IMO, that is a convenient excuse for a poor design. The band scope is a gimmick (barely practical), and the SWR meter only works on the HF bands. Ok, so this is sounding pretty negative now, so all I'm going to say is again.. How are people giving this radio a 5 out of 5 rating?? I've heard some of these issues have been fixed in the new 7100 version. That would be great, because it would be nice to have all of those features in a compact, mobile radio, as long as they work.. The 706 is a well known workhorse. Not sure this model will ever match up to its predecessor. I sold mine cheap before the time bomb went off inside. Even if only half of my opinions are accurate, it's not a 5 out 5 rig. I'll give it a 4 (benefit of the doubt), Ymmv.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2014 16:52 Send this review to a friend
ABSOLUTELY GOOD!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this wonderful radio for a while now and have had no problems at all. There is that common complaint about the radio getting hot. I simply put a small fan on top of the radio where the internal fan is at and WALA!!!! no more overheating problem.
There are those who would whine and complain about this issue and not do anything about it, instead of finding a simple solution to it.
My 7000 has performed better than any of my other radios whether in the house or out on the field.
There's always going to be some people complain about a radio they have, , but to me, just find a simple solution instead of whining like a little spoiled brat.
MY IC-7000? is simply wonderful

N9GUU Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2014 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Radio!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my IC-7000 at Dayton of 2013 and have loved this radio! All my other radios are ICOM so being already familiar with the ICOM "menus" I found the radio quite easy to operate. I have always been told that I had good audio. Some reviews say their audio was not so good so I don't understand that - I guess your have to read the manual and set the mic gain and compression accordingly. All in all, I like the 7000 and I'm glad I have two (yes, I have two of them...). If you're looking for a small radio - then I would recommend the 7000.

N8CVW Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Reduced Transmit Power (FETs)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All,

I just received my IC7000 back from Icom Repair in St. Joseph, MI (Tech named Matt, very conscientious and communicative). The rig was making reduced power output on bands below 15m, dropping down to 10 watts on 160m. Cause given was leaky Power FETs needing replacement. I asked Matt for likely cause of failure, and was told: 'most likely auto-tuner'. Well, I'm guilty as charged. I do use an auto-tuner (SGC MAC200, works great). I replied that I -TRY- to remember to reduce power when tuning, and Matt advised that may not be good enough to avoid the problem, as even at low power momentary high VSWRs can cause a high reflected -VOLTAGE- that can damage those FETs. Makes sense ! So $250 (plus outbound shipping ~$25) and 3 weeks later, the IC7000 is back to its good old 100 watts on all HF bands (provided it has ~13.8vdc supply, at 12 volts it'll do around 50w). From now on I'll be tuning the auto-tuner at lowest output of 1-3%, which shows ~2 watts on the Bird.
Also, if you're experiencing reduced xmit, first check your DC, especially high resistance fuse contacts dropping power by ~50%. This seems to be a very common occurrence for many 7000 users.

I give the 7000 a [5] rating for being such a full-featured xceiver in such a small portable/mobile package. Just be nice to the FETs !

73, N8CVW

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Really nice rig. No Complaints whatsoever. The dual notch filters are awesome when conditions are no good and the bands are broke. Being an "all band all mode radio", the need for multiple radios in the shack is eliminated. Coupled with the heil headset, I dont want another radio. I was hesitant to get this radio due to not so good reviews left in the past but to me this radio seems to be doing a jam up rig. Another great advantage is that an external monitor can be hooked up. While the size of the screen is not all that small when I'm in the shack late at night or early in the morning I like to turn and kick my feet up. So I may not be right in front of the rig. No problems, good radio, I definitely recomend it.

2E0WPZ Rating: 3/5 Jul 14, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
good radio, poorly designed head mounting.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I`ve had a 7000 in my shack but it didn`t get much use mainly because I purchased it fairly late in the run and the 7100 came out and I couldn`t resist getting one.The 706mk2G in my van developed a problem with the separation cable so I put the 7000 in the van. Radio works OK but as a mobile not a very big jump up from the 706mk2G, it is better but not by loads IMHO.
An annoying problem that appeared when purchasing the 7000 separation cable is that unlike the 706 separation cable that just pings out when you hit the release latch with the 7000 cable it is held in the back of the face by a different type of latch that really doesn`t lend itself to being easily released, on top of that is that the cable run from the connection is in the middle of the head unit and you have to run the cable through a cut out channel to be able to mount the head unit. It works OK once all is in place but IMHO the connecting catch and the cable are not designed in such a way for easy removal and I now leave the head unit attached to the cable and remove the head unit complete with the cable in place and tuck them away out of site whereas with the 706 radio you were able to run the cable permanently out of site and with one click remove the head unit from the cable and the mounting bracket and if need be stick it in your pocket or take it indoors at night out of sight. This is not a good design when you consider it is basically a mobile rig, not problem if you don`t mind leaving the head unit in the mounting bracket with a sign on it saying " here I am, come and get me"
If you have ever opened one of these 10 core small cables you will realise that in fact they are fragile having no insulation on most of them and just bare lacquered wires and you would want to avoid keep having to bend it through angles to fit it in the rear of the head unit.
Radio Good
Mobile mounting and removal designed by someone who never goes mobile or maybe never passed the exam.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Best all in one by far!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both an IC700 and a Yaesu 857D and the 7000 is in a different league, blows the 857D away in features and performance. Run both barefoot mobile with LDG autotuners. 857 is pretty sweet rig for the price, but if I had to do it again and had the extra few hundred I would have gotten another 7000 instead.

Had a few issues at first with white noise from mic and mic cord but positives have far outweighed the negs.
Great Rig!

KG7AV Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 22:15 Send this review to a friend
New Go-To Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An IC-718 had been my primary rig for some time. Liked the idea of a compact all-band all-mode rig, and followed the reviews of the FT-857 and the IC-7000. When HRO started blowing them out with the extra year warranty to make room for the 7100's, couldn't resist. The digital filter capability and the voice/keyer capability are great. I love the functional simplicity of my 718, but the 7000 is my new go-to rig.