Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 346 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 × DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 × MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

M3YTU Rating: 0/5 Sep 22, 2017 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Badly built fragile Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired one of these in a deal swap for swap, that was a decision I would live to regret.
For starters the receive audio is awful, even with a external speaker is lacks life and vibrancy, it has that digitized sound that is flat and uninviting, the audio sensitivity across the bands is also appalling, sure it receives OK on hf but get to 10 meters and it starts to drop off, on 50 mhz its worse and on 2/70 its appalling and deaf without pre amp on. air band is as bad as not having an antenna, the ssb tx on uhf and vhf is also rubbish, it never reaches more than 20w no matter how much gain you use.
Also every so many weeks the tx power will drop, this is caused by oxidization of thr fuses, one day you notice your only getting 60w, you then have to clean the fuses, this is a well documented fault, my solution was to solder the fuses in place, also if the radio drops 0.5 volt below 13.8 the radio will lose huge amounts of tx power, this is also well documented.
All in all this radio is a piece of junk. I wouldn't recommended it for scrap, I now have a ft 897d and it may not have all the filters and be able to decode RTTY but its a hell of a lot better than his rubbish,
And here is the final kicked that made me bin this rig and never buy icom again..
This rig has a serious design fault, the plugs on the back for C-IV use plastic cases, this means they are at a different potential to the radio, so when you plug the radio into a usb on a computer what happens ?
BANG ! ! !
This happened to me and I am not along, so be warned, unplug radio computer and everything from power before plugging in usb,
Here is a nice video of the problem from TRXBENCH
N3EG Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2017 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The receive audio is amazing once you put it on a real speaker. I have mine on a Motorola 6000 Motrac era tin can speaker, and I haven't heard anything sound this good since I first heard a S-Line at age 15. RX noise is low even before turning on the NR, which works best at only 25%. I bought this radio used instead of the 7100 because the sloping front and two-piece design of the 7100 just doesn't cut it for my style of operation - and even being out of production for a few years, it still has way more features than I'll ever use. And yes, I will fill all 500 memories by the end of next week!
KN6BOB Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2016 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Has worked well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC7000 from HRO as a tossup with the Yaesu FT 897. I went with the ICOM. Have owned for about 3 yeas and use for net calls on UHF and DX on HF. Never had a problem. Using MFJ tuner and inverted V dipole. Used as a base station.
KF7VWN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall, this is an excellent rig that does all modes including 2m/70cm and small enough to pack in your hand luggage when traveling. I have been all over Europe with mine as well as the US, and it seems to play well with my Buddipole. The issues described by some of the other reviewers were mostly with the early production units from what I have read, and I managed to get one of the last ones HRO had right when they went out of production. Yes, it gets hot, but I have not had any finals blow, etc and I have worked a lot of PSK31 with it and had zero issues. NOTE: This radio is good for portable ops IF power is a non issue but it is a bit power hungry. Its size makes it great for a go kit but its appetite for juice is not to be underestimated (mostly its high draw on RX mode which will eat up your battery life; on TX it is on par with most other XCVRS). If you can get a hold of a used, late production unit you should grab it. They are becoming a hot commodity and I could sell mine here (living in Germany ATM) for about the same price I paid for it new back in 2014 once the exchange rate is taken into account. Pretty good resale value if you ask me, but I am not interested in parting with it. The menus are a bit daunting at first but this is an acceptable trade off for its small size. Once you learn your way around them its pretty easy. When not portable it is my main V/UHF rig for local simplex & repeater work from my QTH and performs well in that capacity. Speaker is ho-hum, but solved that with a Sennheiser headset.
VK2CRB Rating: 2/5 Jul 31, 2016 01:02 Send this review to a friend
Heavy EMI in 144 Mhz  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always been a Yaesu man, no matter what. But this was June 2006 in Singapore and the Yaesu box was heavy and big to bring back to Australia. Hence I decided to buy Icom for my very first time in my life. First I had to do a microphone mod. Second every time I TX on 2 metres a great TVI is produced. Never knew why. This is now 2016 and the rig is in the box. Never to be touched again.
I have an FT8900R, that bought in Singapore as they are B3 and already that. To prove the point I TX in 2 metres at full power, with the same antenna, same cable,etc,etc, that I used to use with the IC7000 and no problems of any kind. Ok, the FT8900R has got a proper N connector and not a PL259 as the ICOM but I use an adapter PL to N since as I said, I used the same set up.
It is a mystery as to why the problems happens in 144 Mhz with the Icom. No dramas in 54 or 440 (have a Diamond Tri Bander antenna). So this will be the last time I buy Icom.
KE4AMQ Rating: 1/5 Jun 29, 2016 08:39 Send this review to a friend
tx stuck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I haven't used the rig in a while turned it on tx rx works fine on vhf and uhf but hf is stuck in tx mode no more icoms for me the are junk
G4CIB Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2016 08:59 Send this review to a friend
A Bit Like The Curate's Egg  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few years ago I was asked to dispose of the station of a deceased amateur and the only item I did not sell was the IC7000 - so I bought it just to "clear the decks" but well aware of some of the problems as reported in other reviews on eHam. It came with the 70cm band showing low power - about 4 watts. My local amateur "Mr Fixit" confirmed that the pa devices needed to be replaced, although DC junction checks showed they were still transistors he suspected they were multi-junction devices with some junctions open-circuit. He also reported that virtually no heat-sink compound was evident when the defective transistors were removed. Fast forward to a few months ago and the HF output dropped dramatically and once again my local "Mr Fixit" came to the rescue and replaced the HF PA transistors with the following comment "very little heatsink compound was used (as Gordon Ramsay would say “walked it through a room with a pot of heatsink compound in it”) also the screws holding down the transistors weren’t very tight." All is well now and the rig runs noticeably cooler. I'm beginning to suspect that this lack of heat-sink compound and poor mechanical assembly during manufacture was common. Also I concur with comments re the ghastly in-line fuse holders. A week or so after getting the rig back from the latest repair I noticed that the 50MHz output had dropped by about 20 watts but 160-10 was a full 100 watts. I checked that the blade fuse contacts were bright - they were - but one of the fuse holders felt warm. As an experiment I chopped out the fuse-holders (yes - I know - very dangerous) - and lo - full output. The slightest drop from 13.8 volts and the power drops. I will in due course replace with full-whack automotive fuse holders/fuses. Other than that (!!!!!!!) the rig has been fine and a joy to use.
KA1KLO Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 07:14 Send this review to a friend
INCREDIBLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 8 yrs. Having owned 5 see Utube, in Van, Boat, Golf Cart, Go Boxes and never without one in my Coal Bin amongst 22 pieces of Icom rigs & access. The Icom ic 7000 is incredible and will never be replaced, The technology, quality construction, versatility, reliability, flawless displays and ease of operation with 26 buttons that create over 80 commands is the only rig with band stacking of 3 favorite frequencies, each including mode,pl/ctss/ preamp/nb/Duplex. I have the 7600 with band stacking and cannot even put 2 frequencies into one memory. 10 and 6 meter FM repeaters you have to work in the Split Mode a real Pain. I have one 7000 moded for WFM, NFM, TV, Mars and more. The 7000 is what keeps an old fart like me up with this digital world. Thanks Icom. Please manufacture the IC 7000. Thanks for reading healthy 2016 Hams
Sincerely, John
ZL3SV Rating: 0/5 Sep 14, 2015 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great at blowing finals - Kenwoods on same Antennas no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a new Icom 7000 and its blown the finals twice. By Contrast my Kenwood TS 2000 and TS 480 on the same antenna work fine. I have LDG 200 watt ATU tuner but the Icom blows up on tune so since the last lot of new finals were installed its power level sits at 50 watts.
K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2015 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig, I have TWO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love everything about this radio. Still running my first one mobile with ldg tuner. Every time I see that display or filter out some yahoo tuning up it brings a smile to my face.

Love it so much I purchased a second one on Ebay, UHF was not working (thanks jackhole seller) so I sent it to MTS in WA to correct and check over. So far works great.

If you are looking at a used 857d vs the 7000,(I also have an 857d), imho it is very much worth the extra $ for the 7000. If you have a chance to pick one up, go for it. Highly recommended!