Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 338 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

ZL3SV Rating: 0/5 Sep 14, 2015 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great at blowing finals - Kenwoods on same Antennas no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a new Icom 7000 and its blown the finals twice. By Contrast my Kenwood TS 2000 and TS 480 on the same antenna work fine. I have LDG 200 watt ATU tuner but the Icom blows up on tune so since the last lot of new finals were installed its power level sits at 50 watts.
K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2015 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig, I have TWO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love everything about this radio. Still running my first one mobile with ldg tuner. Every time I see that display or filter out some yahoo tuning up it brings a smile to my face.

Love it so much I purchased a second one on Ebay, UHF was not working (thanks jackhole seller) so I sent it to MTS in WA to correct and check over. So far works great.

If you are looking at a used 857d vs the 7000,(I also have an 857d), imho it is very much worth the extra $ for the 7000. If you have a chance to pick one up, go for it. Highly recommended!
NS3L Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2015 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great all band all mode rig.. Very Versatile...!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two IC-7000's and recently sold one to a local ham who needed a great startup rig..

As a contester, the IC-7000 is now working my second position powered by a Samlex 1235M and linked together with a microKeyer II. I now have at my disposal a very advanced system for any mode or band I want...

I can't say enough about the ability of this rig.. It's very versatile in capable hands.. One just needs to become efficient with it as it's a mobile rig with many menu options and operational settings.. You just can't expect to learn this radio in 24 hours.. There's a learning curve but once you get acclimated, it's a breeze to operate and it performs...

Having 100 watts on HF, and 50/35 watts on 2m/70cm in both mobile and shack operation is a proven strength as the number of additional DXCC's I worked alone using the 7000 both in the car and in the shack stands for it self... Properly set up this rig produces great results.. I've never had a problem with either 7000 failing for any reason and I've owned them for over 8 years..

It's a well known fact that the stock HM-151 unmodified mic is not great.. I urge anyone considering using the stock mic have it modified and get the AB5N mod done.. It makes a ton of difference..!!!

Plenty of power on all bands and modes.. I especially like the fact that the 7000 can work both 2m and 70cm all mode... That has afforded me the ability to work VHF/UHF contests and along with my IC-7600 at location 1 gives me full rounded out capability.

In my car I use a TurboTuner 7000 and either a Little Tarheel II or a Tarheel 75 and the unit produces full power without having to modify the car with a massive alternator and extra oversize batteries in the case of some who wish for 200+ watts.. If you need that capability then pull over and deploy a generator to run that much power...No need to over burden the car alternator and drain the battery.

Would I buy another... Yes.. It's sad that Icom discontinued the 7000, but one important thing to remember to those who think to bash the rig for one reason or another.. Consider this...

The average resale prices of used 7000's have held steadily over time.. Running at around $1K... That tells you something about the 7000. When they're for sale, they continue to command a high price.. That's because they aren't all that bad after all and continue to be a well liked performer...

I speak from experience..

Steve NS3L
KC6RCM Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2015 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Pleased.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-7000 for over 5 years and have not experienced any mechanical issues to date. It is used primarily for VHF weak signal work and performs well for that purpose. The unit will run warm, but a small fan helps to keep it cool. Like other owners, I had the stock microphone reworked by AB5N.

I'm sure most agree that to give an honest review requires ownership, not hearsay.
KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2015 16:50 Send this review to a friend
OK, in its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had all the 706 series ICOMs. When the 7000 came out, years ago, I bought one. It was much better than any of the 706 radios. At the time it could pick up the US TV stations. Wife liked that to watch the Washington Redskins. That of course all went away with Digital TV.
It was great at the time. The 7100 replaced it. The 7100 has a MUCH better receiver than the 7000, tho it does not have the great color screen. The 7100 with a SD slot, touch screen and better receiver is a worthy replacement for the 7000. NEITHER are "contest" grade radios for HF or VHF/UHF. That's what ICOM sells the 7600/7700/9100 for.
2E0YDB Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2015 13:14 Send this review to a friend
A flawed gem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the IC7000 predominantly as I wanted to contest on VHF / UHF. So, I traded in my Kenwood TS590S (which I was pretty disappointed with) and came home with a sparkly second hand 7K.

I used it a lot and liked it a lot. I made my first proper DX QSO's on it and there is an awful lot to like.

The filtering is effective; particularly the dual notch (name me another non-SDR radio for sensible money that has dual notch) and when used with the dual PBF allows you to dig signals out of the dirt.

OK, its not the world's quietest or most sensitive receiver but with the filters used sensibly and sympathetically it does a fine job.

Whilst I was not inundated with complimentary audio reports I was never given poor reports either, even with the much maligned stock mic.

So, to the flaws. This was always going to be a desk based radio for me so I knew I would have to rummage around the menus a bit and to be fair to Icom they have done a really superb job of structuring them so they make sense and have used what little real estate there is for buttons to very well indeed.

It is relatively quick and easy to change the major settings *but* it is not as quick as having proper knows and dials which does become tiresome.

However, this is meant to be a mobile rig so fair enough to a point but the major flaw is that the rig just isn't very good mobile or /p.

Its too power hungry and runs too hot in confined spaces.

So Icom have ultimately made a very fine desk based radio with plenty of really good features then hobbled it by putting it in a mobile chassis.

Or, they have tried to make the mobile rig to end all mobile rigs but in the process have made it too complicated and too power hungry for its intended purpose.

All in all I did enjoy my time with the 7K and it you are in the market for a small desk based radio then I would highly recommend giving it a go.

But for me the menus were just too much work for prolonged base use however well thought out they were.
EI3GD Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 03:13 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was on the fence for weeks, could not decide between the IC7000 and the Kenwood 480, both have good reviews.

I was worried about the IC7's reported issues i.e. Low audio, overheating but I decided to go for it anyway.

Picked up a used model and to my great relief I found the audio to be superb, I'm getting great reports on SSB and FM.

Talkpower is really great, averaging 75w on my Daiwa power meter, far more than other rigs I have tested.

It does get warm after extended use, but the case never exceeds 45 degrees C before the fan engages. I'm happy that Icom know what they are doing in this respect.

The range of features are fantastic for a small rig. In many ways comparable to the superb Pro 3.
IF DSP is just like the Pro 3, very effective,
NB is VERY good with adjustable width.
NR is superb, makes for easy listening.

Not having to buy extra filters is a comfort and offsets the extra 100 Euro I paid vs other mobile rigs.

I don't use Auto ATU mobile so I don't miss it, I'd rather have a matched antenna vs loosing transfer power in an ATU.

A single head cable is also perfect for mobile use, easier to run through the car.

Perhaps I was lucky, but no mods needed for this IC 7000, it works a treat!.

KD2FIP Rating: 2/5 May 24, 2015 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Take a Pass  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FIRST and LAST last ICOM. I bought this radio because of all the "features", 100W, lots of filter choices, Icom Reputation. Paid over $1200.00 for this radio, got the 2 year extended warranty, had the radio about 2 months and it simply popped and let out all the smoke.

I was Running the radio off a Powerwerx SS-30DV power supply. HRO said that the radio was under Icom's warranty, so I call them up. Ship them the radio and they tell me that it's NOT under warranty because it was overvolted! (Funny how none of my other radios using the same power supply are still working just fine eh?)

Fight with ICOM for a week or so and they finally let me buy a "REFURB" for $450.00. Get the radio back, it works, then it doesn't, then it does.

What do you think the chances are that I'll send this radio back to ICOM? Right, ZERO.

Power off is intermittent, the filters are a joke and all in all, I have a $1700.00 doorstop. Buy a Yaesu or a Kenwood or an Elecraft and you'll be ahead of the game.
W4XEN Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2015 20:53 Send this review to a friend
I'm very satisfied but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not going to write a lot. I think other reviewers hit some good points on the good and the bad. This was my first HF radio so I will always remember my IC-7000. Lots of great contacts and memories.

I used it mainly as a base station and a couple times portable. Mode wise, I used it mostly for digital PSK (and others).

My pros:
- It's powerful (100w and loads of capabilities)
- All mode and all band capability
- Tons of features that work and work well
- It has a great instruction manual
- It's small for its capabilities
- Not a tough learning curve for menus and features.

My cons:
- It gets hot and is not good for lengthy continuous mode work (PSK, Packet). It works good for short QSOs but I couldn't work for more than roughly 30 mins (equal TX and RX time) without taking time for it to cool down. I know this dead horse has been beat here in its reviews, but its true and not a good choice for digital operation.
- The final driver on mine blew (doing WINMOR email) and I had to send in for repair ($100 cost). It was repaired and the Icom tech told me this was a common problem, so be aware of that.
- It's not the best at staying connected to a computer. Sometimes it won't respond to the PTT command and has a weak relay in that regard.
- Mic is mediocre

I hate bashing this radio as it does well what it was designed for and I believe that is mobile/portable operation, not base station work (but it served well, but not perfect, for years in that capacity for me).

As far as hardware, it rocks. Comes with a faceplate extension cord, has all the right connections in the back for every kind of operation, big tuning knob is nice, mic has tons of control buttons for the radio, voice recorder, cw keyer, and more. It's got a lot of bells and whistles for is size and fills a lot of gaps. It did for me.

If it performed better (by just a little bit) on digital modes, I would have given 5 stars, but the overheating is just annoying. It is workable though as you can do fan mods but stock, it's 4 stars for me. Hope this helps.
NV2A Rating: 3/5 Mar 1, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
poorly engineered IMHO  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are going to buy one I suggest you use that sucker hard while it is still under warranty. I bought one with the intention of installing it in my travel trailer, I used it for about 2 hours in that application. It sat in a plastic storage container for 2 years or more. I did a temporary setup on pickup truck tailgate just to see everything work before installing it in the cab proper. Wife calls me in for lunch, turned the unit off and when I came back out 30 minutes later and turned it on it would not transmit. Called Icom America and they said to send it to SARs in Michigan. They replaced the "digital board" and wrapped me $425.00. When you buy ham gear now that everything is being rushed to market make sure you use it hard while under warranty. I've bought my last Icom for sure. The old days of companies owning up to poor design issues is over for the most part.