Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 323 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Really nice rig. No Complaints whatsoever. The dual notch filters are awesome when conditions are no good and the bands are broke. Being an "all band all mode radio", the need for multiple radios in the shack is eliminated. Coupled with the heil headset, I dont want another radio. I was hesitant to get this radio due to not so good reviews left in the past but to me this radio seems to be doing a jam up rig. Another great advantage is that an external monitor can be hooked up. While the size of the screen is not all that small when I'm in the shack late at night or early in the morning I like to turn and kick my feet up. So I may not be right in front of the rig. No problems, good radio, I definitely recomend it.

2E0WPZ Rating: 3/5 Jul 14, 2014 18:47 Send this review to a friend
good radio, poorly designed head mounting.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I`ve had a 7000 in my shack but it didn`t get much use mainly because I purchased it fairly late in the run and the 7100 came out and I couldn`t resist getting one.The 706mk2G in my van developed a problem with the separation cable so I put the 7000 in the van. Radio works OK but as a mobile not a very big jump up from the 706mk2G, it is better but not by loads IMHO.
An annoying problem that appeared when purchasing the 7000 separation cable is that unlike the 706 separation cable that just pings out when you hit the release latch with the 7000 cable it is held in the back of the face by a different type of latch that really doesn`t lend itself to being easily released, on top of that is that the cable run from the connection is in the middle of the head unit and you have to run the cable through a cut out channel to be able to mount the head unit. It works OK once all is in place but IMHO the connecting catch and the cable are not designed in such a way for easy removal and I now leave the head unit attached to the cable and remove the head unit complete with the cable in place and tuck them away out of site whereas with the 706 radio you were able to run the cable permanently out of site and with one click remove the head unit from the cable and the mounting bracket and if need be stick it in your pocket or take it indoors at night out of sight. This is not a good design when you consider it is basically a mobile rig, not problem if you don`t mind leaving the head unit in the mounting bracket with a sign on it saying " here I am, come and get me"
If you have ever opened one of these 10 core small cables you will realise that in fact they are fragile having no insulation on most of them and just bare lacquered wires and you would want to avoid keep having to bend it through angles to fit it in the rear of the head unit.
Radio Good
Mobile mounting and removal designed by someone who never goes mobile or maybe never passed the exam.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Best all in one by far!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both an IC700 and a Yaesu 857D and the 7000 is in a different league, blows the 857D away in features and performance. Run both barefoot mobile with LDG autotuners. 857 is pretty sweet rig for the price, but if I had to do it again and had the extra few hundred I would have gotten another 7000 instead.

Had a few issues at first with white noise from mic and mic cord but positives have far outweighed the negs.
Great Rig!

KG7AV Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 22:15 Send this review to a friend
New Go-To Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An IC-718 had been my primary rig for some time. Liked the idea of a compact all-band all-mode rig, and followed the reviews of the FT-857 and the IC-7000. When HRO started blowing them out with the extra year warranty to make room for the 7100's, couldn't resist. The digital filter capability and the voice/keyer capability are great. I love the functional simplicity of my 718, but the 7000 is my new go-to rig.

W9WQA Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2014 17:22 Send this review to a friend
lots in a small box!  Time owned: more than 12 months
just a comment on one gripe since i agree with all the good comments made b4.
radios like this should have a software lock for repeater freqs just like programming an ht so bumping the big knob doesnt take you ???, and no, locking the big knob is not the answer!!
same for 60 meters obviously since thos freqs are fixed i guess. i dont go there.
i made a mobile bracket that puts mine at my finger tips and is out of the way for me and a rare passenger. in my hummer 3. ant is on the spare tire.

i like icom stuff but also use ft450d at home.

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 20:28 Send this review to a friend
All around awesome!   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was skeptical of the reviews that I saw but after talking to people who had owned one of these radios since shortly after they came out, I was reassured. I chose this radio for three main reasons. It's all band / all mode, it's two notch filters, and I like the looks. There were other reasons but these are the main ones. I spent hours literally researching radio's functions, reviews and every detail I could about the different radios since I was going to be dropping a thousand dollars on a radio alone not to mention accessories. I'm glad I chose the ic7000.

N4YX Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Three  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three, yes, three. Started with one for mobile after having used many 706MKiiG units both fixed & mobile for many years. I've now "standardized" on the 7000. This little radio is extremely feature packed; has color display; outputs color video to external monitor; both automatic & manual (2) notch filters .. yada, yada. The transmit audio is superb and I use both the SM-6 & SM-8 desk mics along with the stock hand mic with all the program buttons for mobile control.

AB3CN Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with IC-7000  Time owned: more than 12 months
Alcon, I've had this radio for three years. I use it with a long wire antenna attached to an ICOM AH-4. It is my base radio. I have worked Russia and Greece and all of Europe and South America using PSK31 (with a Signalink USB). I Love PSK31. Yes, I'd like to get a new radio and empty my wallet...but I haven't so far because the IC-7000 works well. I play with the HRD software from time to time. I bought the CI-V interface off of Ebay (cheap, and works great). I'm not slamming any radio - in the back of my mind I think each year there will be a huge leap forward with receiver technology. But, I think there's a small advance, unfortunately, and the huge sums of money for the better radios don't seem to me to be ... attractive. In my opinion, the 7000 is a compact versatile reliable sensitive radio. I paid 1200 for it...so at current prices I think it's a good purchase. In the past I have had a FT-920, Kenwood 430, and Icom IC-735. Best regards to all.

VE8AP Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
TRANSMIT AUDIO POOR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well close but know cigar I bought a Heil goldline thinking that was the ticket to remedy transmit audio to my shock when I tried it the audio was still poor. I tried the new Mic on my 706 MKIIG it was a thing of beauty my ham friends in Texas and California said they hadn't heard me sound that good ever. I have owned a Omni VI and a Ts 130v and various other rig's never with an transmit Audio quality issue as the 7000 has. I like the radio don't get me wrong nice little rig If your a person who loves there audio like many do this is lacking bigtime I am sure there is a fix for this issue but my feeling you shouldn't have to fix something when you buy a new rig. Thanks all 73's from the Ekati diamond mine take care!

WD40 Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wonderful receive section, the notch filters (2) perform flawlessly while the noise reduction circuitry just plain works! It's simply a joy to listen to this little radio, best value for the buck hands down!