Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 344 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

KJ4ADN Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice as a Mobile unit.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First, the configurations:

I have 3 IC-7000s, one as the "family base" and 2 others in vehicles. Because we're a family of HAMs, it was best to stick to similar units for communicating to/from the mobiles, whether it was via repeaters or 40meters. The home unit is remote mounted next to the front door, easily heard in the dining room. One of the mobiles is remote mounted, the main unit in the back of a Subaru, Head next to the stick shift, and outfitted with a 70cm/2m antenna, and a mount for Ham stick style antennas (both thru-the-roof-mounts), usually holding a 40m stick. The remaining radio moves in and out of service trucks, with a mag mount 70cm/2m, with me.

Performance:
As an all purpose, all band unit, they work VERY NICELY. The nicest feature is loading up the scan channels and hitting the scan button - off it goes, thru 70 frequencies, 70cm & 2m repeaters - it's fast and very effective. Great... until you've realized "naming" the frequencies isn't shown... minor detail. I've still fallen in love with the versatility & compactness of the unit.

I've not had any problems with the TX audio, so far, everyone says, "It sounds just like you, Bill...". and from unit to unit, my family pretty much sounds like themselves between the radios.
The RX audio kinda sucks through the built in speaker, but add a little 2-way or 3-way speaker and it really starts sounding pretty darn good.

The overall receive sensitivity and selectivity - well... this isn't going to compare to my Elecraft K3, and put up against the FT-450AT... I'd have to give it to the Yaesu FT-450AT (we have 2 of them). The IC-7000 beats them all as a super compact, ready-to-go anywhere unit, packed with FEATURES and rugged.

Where it REALLY Shines:
Mobile Contesting. Driving around the countryside and my son operating, car running and not a hint of ignition noise, alternator whine... it's quiet, despite the less than optimal conditions. During this year's Virginia QSO party, we drove the 'southern route' and had a blast with this unit, both of us making contacts with relative ease on 40 meters. I've had contacts all over the country mobile on 40 meters - not bad for a little Subaru with a $12 Ham Stick.

What needs improvement:
It runs HOT... until you do the fan mod.
It could really use an antenna tuner - IF you're going to skate up and down the bands or jump from band to band without resonate antennas. However, it does withstand some nasty SWR for a quickie, now and then. I'm still debating about the Mic mod, but I've yet to hear it could use it. I'm more inclined to sink my $$ into a good Heil Headset.

The bottom line:
$1200 is a bit steep, kinda puts you in that limbo area of not enough dollars spent for the radio bought, but you *know* you'll spend 2x - 3x as much for a super receiver, maxed out with filters, DSP and unmatched performance.... as in your Ham Shack radio - so this isn't going to be it.
On the other hand, you really don't want to be taking your $3500+ maxed out radio in the car to bounce around on the seat, take a Pepsi spill and a Ketchup drip from the kids cheese burger! In fact, it's just TOO BIG for the car... but the IC-7000 seems to be just about the right size.

It's not a IC-706MKII, it's a whole lot better, and with a week or two of use, you'll be glad those nusiance filters are just a single button, not buried deep in some menu. In fact, you'll see the radio is laid out quite well for mobile use! I like the BIG display, and the adjustable tension on the VFO knob, the ease of manuvering through the bands & filters in such a small unit.

The separation kit is a MUST in my book, for any permanent mobile mount. If your car/truck has an AUX plug for the radio (like our Subaru), you'll really like piping the radio through the sound system! Which can be done from the main or remote unit.

In the final analysis:
For what I bought it for, it's a great compact, portable, mobile radio. I can't think of a situation where another radio *could* be a better fit as a mobile, camping, grab-and-go type radio.
If you're looking for a good, Ham Shack, Base Station, stare-at-the-display-for-12hrs-straight radio, this is not it.... no, you were thinking of a FT-450AT.

Bill
KJ4ADN

W4LA Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2010 14:05 Send this review to a friend
So far this is a great big radio in a small package!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Haven't owned the 7000 but for a few days, but I find it an incredible radio in a very small package. The size almost turned me away, but after reading all the great reviews here and other forums, I am pleased with my decision. I will give more information as time passes and I get more comfortable and knowledgeable with the IC-7000 features and functions. I also own a Yaesu FT-1000D and an Icom IC-756PRO. I have a good basis of comparison. Oh I also am using an LDG-200PRO with the 7000.
I had a Yaesu FT-450AT for a month but sent it back and bought the IC-7000, after many days of disappointment with the antennas tuner on the 450AT. I will go into detail about that experience also later at the Yauesu FT-450AT forum.
If you are interested in adding a larger screen to the IC-7000, I found that Target has a 7" digital TV on sale for $69.00. I will post pictures later. It works great. More to follow.

73's,

Todd / W4LA

N6CAZ Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2010 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Great rig when used as intended  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an update to the Icom 706 series, this is a great improvement. I started my HF mobile experience with an IC-706MkIIG installation in a Honda Civic more than 5 years ago. It was OK, but noise from the engine and electronics made it better suited to parked operation. Of course the whole install was prompted by restrictions on HF operation from my apartment at the time.

The IC-7000 replaced my trusty 706 in my second mobile install, in a Toyota Tacoma. Immediately the differences were pronounced. First, the 7000 had no measurable S-meter reading of engine or electrical system noise. What little was audible was quickly removed by the NB - at its default level. Second, operation was for the most part intuitive and reminded me of the menus for my IC-756 Pro at home. Some are a little confusing to get to, but the manual is thorough.

I use this in a very basic installation - mounted to the back of the cab with the remote kit. An AH-4 remote antenna tuner/coupler has been installed between the bed liner and bed wall, and I use a 102" stainless steel whip for most operation. While nothing fancy, this has allowed contacts while mobile, and with minimum distraction.

I have had excellent audio reports on HF, using a Heil HMM-IC microphone. I have also used the HM-151 on occasion, but have yet to have the modification done to improve the audio on FM.

This is one flaw that I've seen - VHF repeater and simplex operation has had some bad reports. Even with the MIC gain maxed out, audio reports are that it sounds hollow, flat, and low compared to other rigs I've used. This appears to be the case with either mic.

Another issue I've come across in mobile operation is the tendency to bump the VFO. Since memories are tunable, one bump while on a repeater and your off frequency. The solution is to make use of the lock function which is fortunately right next to the VFO.

Another issue, more of a personal gripe, is the remote cable. The 706 series used a quick disconnect cable released by the same spring loaded clip used to attach the faceplate to the main body. For the 7000, the cable release is recessed and requires two hands to release. Since I tend to store the face plate for security reasons, this has forced me to leave it connected when storing the faceplate and never permanently route the cable.

Overall, I have found the filtering, tuning, and on air reports to show this as a solid rig. No repairs have been needed in over a year of use. The TV mod was done for the heck of it, and was fun until analog TV went away. Nothing is perfect, but what has been packed into a small chassis is amazing to me. The progression from the original 706 is a sure sign of Icom's continued dedication to mobile HF operation. Paired with the AH-4, this may not be the most efficient setup, but for quick tuning and operation with a minimum of fiddling it's hard to beat. In the end, I have gone to a dedicated VHF/UHF rig for local repeater use, but a quick antenna swap and I'm ready for SSB with the 7000.

I can't see using this in place of a home rig, but for mobile work, I have had no problems and highly recommend it. My most recent addition was for a 3.5" remote LCD display for long trips. Not having to look down at the display is essential for safe driving.

KC5IFH Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 00:04 Send this review to a friend
One Great Littl Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Did a lot of looking and chose the ICOM IC-7000. There is a little learning curve to go through but its worth it. This little rig has pulled out signals where I could have swarn there wasn't one. I had a very weak signal on 75/80 and all I did was kick a few filters in and good copy. Just for grins I just moved the coax cable from the ICOM to my old Kenwood and there was no station to be heard. Filters or not made no diffrence at all. So far I've changed a few settings and left them alone.
I have noticed the rig does run a little on the warm side. So did my IC-2800 but no problems with it. I will put an external cooling fan on the IC-7000. All reports I've gotten are very good. I have found no audio problems with the mic. I have looked in to the external video monitor. But by the time you buy the adapter you can get a 7" or 9" TV, which is what I did. Video display is great. I would buy another IC-7000.

KB3SI Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this as a back up for my ICOM 7600. Mounted the display on a shelf above the 7600 and mounted the rig itself on a lower shelf. So far very satisfied with the performance. Since it is a small rig, you need to learn the menus in order to operate, but the learning curve was fairly rapid. Looking forward to using on 440 Mhz, a band I never had access to before.

M5LRO Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2010 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Mini Marvel  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio, really is a great mobile/portable tool - I use mine Maritime Mobile and its fantastic with a few billion tons of salt water under me hi hi.

A great upgrade from the 706, I have had two 706's and in their day they were fantastic but the RX capability of the 7000 on HF has to be seen/heard - fantastic little box of tricks.

K7RWP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic portable/base multi-band multi-mode transceiver.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a vhf/uhf operator for many years and decided to upgrade to General and get active on HF/DX. To incentivize myself, I decided to purchase a base station. My criteria was: 100W, multi-band (80m-70cm), multi-mode (FM, SSB, RTTY, CW), and portable. I understood going into the process that there would be significant user interface compromises in choosing a portable unit, but my strong interest in ARES and emcomm made portability a higher priority than ease of use.

I looked at a lot of radios including the FT-897D, FT-857D, FT-450, and IC-718. None of them had the breadth and depth of features that the IC-7000 has, coupled with such a nice screen. The IC-7000 is also very small -- almost as small as an 857D. I saved my pennies and made my purchase. To go along with the new radio, I also purchased an LDG AT-100 Pro autotuner, Bencher BY-2 paddle, Alinco DM-330MVT power supply, Diamond X-50 VHF/UHF antenna, and Buddipole HF antenna system.

At the time of purchase I was not yet a licensed General. My experiences focused on the VHF/UHF repeater operation primarily through the Diamond X-50 antenna. The interface did take some getting used to. Once I figured out that it has four 'sets' of menus, and learned some of the cryptic 3-character abbreviations for the features, it became much easier to use. Setting up repeater memories took several tries -- it was a lot less intuitive than my handhelds have been. I still have to refer to my Handy ref when programming new repeaters. Aside from this the IC-7000 has performed flawlessly for me. Exceptional audio, great features, fantastic screen, and nice main knob with several 'modes' (click, friction, and free-wheeling).

This past Saturday I passed my General exam and immediately set my Buddipole up for 10m. The IC-7000 worked awesome and automatically interfaced with my AT-100 Pro tuner. One button and I had 1.1:1 SWR and a clear signal to the local CW net. I spent quite a bit of time afterward just scanning around the 10m band and playing with the RTTY decode options. Fantastic stuff.

The last point I wanted to make was with regard to portable operation. The IC-7000 consumes a minimum of 0.9A while receiving, and this quickly climbs as you transmit. I try to operate at 25% power by default, only increasing power if I specifically need to to make a contact. I purchased an 18AH AGM battery system and made a powerpole converter to the radio power cable. With this configuration, I am easily able to operate for a day's worth of radio use. It isn't nearly as portable as an FT-817, but then I can put out far more than just 5W if I want. I am much more of a car-camper than alpine backpacker in this regard.

In conclusion, the IC-7000 has literally done it all for me and met all of my needs admirably with tons of room for growth. I went into the purchase with 'eyes wide open' -- knowing that portability would necessitate user interface compromise, and that it draws quite a bit of power. I highly recommend the radio to any who have similar needs.

NF7Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 10:17 Send this review to a friend
bodacious performance .. and a question  Time owned: more than 12 months
fantastic selectivity via DSP functions.

fantastic transceiver for the pricing and size. no complaints other than a marginally-intuitive user-interface. it's simply a matter of familiarization and use .. just keep the manual available for quick access.

IK1GKH Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful ... !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good Morning

I bought this radio new from about a week. I own from about a year an Icom Pro III purchased new and I had, always new, a Icom 706 MK II G and an Icom 703. I only do CW since 1982 and I love so much listening CW on HF. Without going into too much explanation, I can only say that, after listening for thirty years many, many receivers, this little jewel is a true masterpiece of Icom, absolutely identical to the PRO III in HF and with features that absolutely do no regret radio more larger or of higher cost, this is my opinion. 73 de IK1GKH, Charlie.

AE6PN Rating: 3/5 Feb 15, 2010 02:01 Send this review to a friend
sort of OK receiver.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using IC-7000 on and off for last 2 years. I borrow from friend time to time.
one things I have notice about this radio is receiver has a lot of back ground noise compare to other analog receiver. noise reduction take away the noises, but it seems like it also takes away voice when the signal is marginal.
may be some of the bigger DSP radio, or older nalog radio perform better. modification to keep slow speed FAN running during receive is must, it get hot after while even only in RX.