Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 341 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

KC5IFH Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 00:04 Send this review to a friend
One Great Littl Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Did a lot of looking and chose the ICOM IC-7000. There is a little learning curve to go through but its worth it. This little rig has pulled out signals where I could have swarn there wasn't one. I had a very weak signal on 75/80 and all I did was kick a few filters in and good copy. Just for grins I just moved the coax cable from the ICOM to my old Kenwood and there was no station to be heard. Filters or not made no diffrence at all. So far I've changed a few settings and left them alone.
I have noticed the rig does run a little on the warm side. So did my IC-2800 but no problems with it. I will put an external cooling fan on the IC-7000. All reports I've gotten are very good. I have found no audio problems with the mic. I have looked in to the external video monitor. But by the time you buy the adapter you can get a 7" or 9" TV, which is what I did. Video display is great. I would buy another IC-7000.

KB3SI Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this as a back up for my ICOM 7600. Mounted the display on a shelf above the 7600 and mounted the rig itself on a lower shelf. So far very satisfied with the performance. Since it is a small rig, you need to learn the menus in order to operate, but the learning curve was fairly rapid. Looking forward to using on 440 Mhz, a band I never had access to before.

M5LRO Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2010 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Mini Marvel  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio, really is a great mobile/portable tool - I use mine Maritime Mobile and its fantastic with a few billion tons of salt water under me hi hi.

A great upgrade from the 706, I have had two 706's and in their day they were fantastic but the RX capability of the 7000 on HF has to be seen/heard - fantastic little box of tricks.

K7RWP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic portable/base multi-band multi-mode transceiver.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a vhf/uhf operator for many years and decided to upgrade to General and get active on HF/DX. To incentivize myself, I decided to purchase a base station. My criteria was: 100W, multi-band (80m-70cm), multi-mode (FM, SSB, RTTY, CW), and portable. I understood going into the process that there would be significant user interface compromises in choosing a portable unit, but my strong interest in ARES and emcomm made portability a higher priority than ease of use.

I looked at a lot of radios including the FT-897D, FT-857D, FT-450, and IC-718. None of them had the breadth and depth of features that the IC-7000 has, coupled with such a nice screen. The IC-7000 is also very small -- almost as small as an 857D. I saved my pennies and made my purchase. To go along with the new radio, I also purchased an LDG AT-100 Pro autotuner, Bencher BY-2 paddle, Alinco DM-330MVT power supply, Diamond X-50 VHF/UHF antenna, and Buddipole HF antenna system.

At the time of purchase I was not yet a licensed General. My experiences focused on the VHF/UHF repeater operation primarily through the Diamond X-50 antenna. The interface did take some getting used to. Once I figured out that it has four 'sets' of menus, and learned some of the cryptic 3-character abbreviations for the features, it became much easier to use. Setting up repeater memories took several tries -- it was a lot less intuitive than my handhelds have been. I still have to refer to my Handy ref when programming new repeaters. Aside from this the IC-7000 has performed flawlessly for me. Exceptional audio, great features, fantastic screen, and nice main knob with several 'modes' (click, friction, and free-wheeling).

This past Saturday I passed my General exam and immediately set my Buddipole up for 10m. The IC-7000 worked awesome and automatically interfaced with my AT-100 Pro tuner. One button and I had 1.1:1 SWR and a clear signal to the local CW net. I spent quite a bit of time afterward just scanning around the 10m band and playing with the RTTY decode options. Fantastic stuff.

The last point I wanted to make was with regard to portable operation. The IC-7000 consumes a minimum of 0.9A while receiving, and this quickly climbs as you transmit. I try to operate at 25% power by default, only increasing power if I specifically need to to make a contact. I purchased an 18AH AGM battery system and made a powerpole converter to the radio power cable. With this configuration, I am easily able to operate for a day's worth of radio use. It isn't nearly as portable as an FT-817, but then I can put out far more than just 5W if I want. I am much more of a car-camper than alpine backpacker in this regard.

In conclusion, the IC-7000 has literally done it all for me and met all of my needs admirably with tons of room for growth. I went into the purchase with 'eyes wide open' -- knowing that portability would necessitate user interface compromise, and that it draws quite a bit of power. I highly recommend the radio to any who have similar needs.

NF7Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 10:17 Send this review to a friend
bodacious performance .. and a question  Time owned: more than 12 months
fantastic selectivity via DSP functions.

fantastic transceiver for the pricing and size. no complaints other than a marginally-intuitive user-interface. it's simply a matter of familiarization and use .. just keep the manual available for quick access.

IK1GKH Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful ... !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good Morning

I bought this radio new from about a week. I own from about a year an Icom Pro III purchased new and I had, always new, a Icom 706 MK II G and an Icom 703. I only do CW since 1982 and I love so much listening CW on HF. Without going into too much explanation, I can only say that, after listening for thirty years many, many receivers, this little jewel is a true masterpiece of Icom, absolutely identical to the PRO III in HF and with features that absolutely do no regret radio more larger or of higher cost, this is my opinion. 73 de IK1GKH, Charlie.

AE6PN Rating: 3/5 Feb 15, 2010 02:01 Send this review to a friend
sort of OK receiver.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using IC-7000 on and off for last 2 years. I borrow from friend time to time.
one things I have notice about this radio is receiver has a lot of back ground noise compare to other analog receiver. noise reduction take away the noises, but it seems like it also takes away voice when the signal is marginal.
may be some of the bigger DSP radio, or older nalog radio perform better. modification to keep slow speed FAN running during receive is must, it get hot after while even only in RX.

19ND005 Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2010 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used 2 Icom 7000 radio's.
One radio I have at home and someday the HF band not working.
I think it was close lightning came.
After repair some time later the 2 & 70 cm band blow out.
I don't know any, but I know only not enough power give MAX.
I use now this Icom 7000 only in the truck.
the another Icom 7000 it was not good at the LOW HF band high SWR.
So I have a lot of some problems with this radio.
The good things are the voice recording,display and better microphone.
I have make my self 2 BIG extern fan in the truck and put it nearly all day on.
But still came hot.
The set came all the time very hot also.
I use this Icom only in the truck, for home I chance the Icom 706MKIIG.

UR7FM Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2010 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio! I use my 7000 with LDG AT7000 more than 3 years from home , /p , /mm and never had any problem. Made fan modification and radio warm, not hot even in digital modes

N8IBZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sure, it gets hot(I use a external fan on all my equipment just to make it lasts longer) and there are some failures reported but this is a great little radio.

I bought a West Mountain Clearspeech speaker and it sounds great with the 7000. I am using the LDG IT-100 and it works perfect. Also using the 125 power supply with 6 to 4pin connector.

I've had most of the ICOM, Kenwood lineups but this one rocks for a compact rig.

I thought the Yaesu FT-450 had good DSP but the IC-7000 blows it off the map along with the 706, I don't know what's up when I see the 706 doing better than the 7000. No way, I've had both and the difference is night and day. Send it back because there is something wrong.

Not hard to figure out the menus. I do not have any test equipment anymore but sometimes you can use your ears, duh, to hear the quality of a radio.

The Clearspeech, IC-7000 on top of the IT-100, and the ic-125 are all the same height, which looks cool together.(4.4)

I really think you need to setup any antenna with an external swr meter, with the final failures occurring, and not depend on the 7000 swr meter. I am not sure of why the finals would blow other than an swr issue???

Get one, try it and compare.

I bought this for fixed operating. I am not in my Jeep long enough to worry about any install situations. Tried that with a 706 and the noise was horrible with the 706 in the Wrangler. The 718 did better in the Jeep.
The manual (2)notch is the whip.....
73 Mark N8IBZ