Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 325 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

OH1VR Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 22:19 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
After more than three years use I still would like to call my IC-7000 to be a small miracle. Of course it is not and it can't be PROIII or IC-7600 but it is excellent in it's class. I have operated twice from VP9 with my IC-7000 in SOSB 20 LP in CQWW CW (2007 and 2008). First time I was 3rd and in 2008 second in my class in the world.
It has been my only rig when operating as OJ0VR from Market Reef a couple of times. I use it with LDG AT-7000 and MFJ-4125 power supply. This means that I can travel with one handbag! After reading several comments I'm missing one: I give 0/5 because of wrong color... Some comments have been very close to that.

WZ1P Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Yes Incredible!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My situation is identical to the below post by Scott KC2JFS. This is a follow up to my initial 5.0 rated post of 03/20/2007.

This is the Swiss Army Knife of ham radio's. If I had to own just one ham radio this would be it. Size, weight, features and a great service history has made this radio an instant ham radio classic.

ALL ham radios models do experience a failure now and then. The percentage of failure for any specific radio model is quite low. As you can see in the reviews here that some brands have a better track record than others. I did a lot of research before buying my radios and have never been burned. This radio will be around for a long time.

Thanks, Dan.

KC2JFS Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2009 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for almost three years.Prior to this I had a 706mk2g which was and still is a very good rig. The performance of this rig as been flawless. The only complaint I had was that the audio was weak until I sent it to Bob AB5N and since then it has been a dream. I can only tell you about my experience. I have not had any problems with UHF which I use everyday for at least two hours straight on high power. As far as battery drain I set the radio to automatically turn off in an hour, so if I was dumb enough not to turn it off it wouldn't drain my battery. The filtering is unlimited and overall better than my 706 that has the crystal filters in it. The noise blanker is far superior to the 706. Add up all the features you get from this radio and for the price both Kenwood and Yaesu can't measure up. I am active on 440-80 meters mobile with daily usage for about 2 hours and have never had a problem. I have no problem recommending this radio.

IZ0JGH Rating: 3/5 Dec 9, 2009 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Due improvements should be done  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my opinion for that price there are some due improvements:

1- in the car use the radiofrequency noice is very bad on the HF bands;

2- sometimes I use this RTX with a "windom" dipole located about 3 meters above the ground, in this case happens to me to be able to hear a QSO taking place in the 80 meters while the selected band is actually 40 meters;

3- once I forgot the rtx on for some hours, it almost exausted the battery of my Suzuki IGNIS;

4- is it too much to write which PL is for the HF and which is for the VHF instead to write 1 and 2?

5- an USB port for direct connection to a small keyboard for digital modes would be nice too.

These are just some practical issues that in my opinion should have been fixed long time ago.

73 de IZ0JGH

WS6L Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2009 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Awesome rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I won't belabor the point that everyone else has said about this rig... I love it, with a couple of things that Icom has omitted:

* Why doesn't this rig have a built-in antenna tuner? The '703 does, and it costs hundreds less than the '7000...

* Quarter inch jack for the keyer... that is soooo 1980's... In the 2000's, we use a 3.5mm jack... Icom, are you stuck in the Dark Ages?

Other than those two minor gripes that I've posted, this rig is awesome, and it's a keeper. My kids marvel at the display, heck, I do too! I love all of the features, and the menus actually make sense to me. I'm lovin' this rig as my primary rig in the shack, and I'm considering purchasing a second one to replace the venerable Kenwood TS-430S thats living in my truck as a mobile rig.

It's interesting to note that I'm using the mike supplied with the rig, and I haven't received any negative reports about the audio, unlike some of the other reviews. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe the gods of 75 meters have smiled upon me. Anyway, future plans include a new microphone.

Overall, I give my IC-7000 a 4.6 out of 5.0, as the only perfect thing (or person) that has been on this earth is Jesus Christ. So chalk up my 7000 in the excellent category... buy one, and enjoy the experience!

KC4VFP Rating: 3/5 Nov 22, 2009 11:56 Send this review to a friend
drains battery, low PO @ 12.5v  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although the IC-7000 has many features, it will drain a battery overnight, if left on; not desirable for a mobile rig.

Without the motor running, 35 watts output is typical.

I put my IC-7600 in the mobile for a short trip, and the IC-7600 put out 100 watts @ 12.5 volts! It would be nice if ICOM's top mobile rig did the same.

p.s. The logic unit and a UHF PO transistor failed, and were fixed under warranty.

WC0R Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2009 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to amateur radio and am using the IC 7000 as a mobile rig. I am still learning the features and capbilities, but the radio has performed flawlessly so far. Although I am certainly not as expert as many reviewers here, I have found the radio easy to use particularly for mobile operations. The features I use the most are easily accessible; I have barely scratched the surface of the capabilities of this rig and I am learning something new about it almost every day. I am now shopping for a base-station rig and am considering another 7000. From my perspective as a "newbie" I think this rig is a great start that brings plenty of capability and a lot of room for growth in a mid-priced, versatile rig.

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2009 00:09 Send this review to a friend
IC-7000 Does everything including CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
The prior reviewer has a very narrow view of amateur radio and has down graded this fantastic compact mobile/base rig for not having CW mode A. Now this seems to be a very myoptic view of the rig. If you don't know the difference between the two modes A and B check out this link to a YouTube video from Ten Tec. Most operators on CW just use the paddles and this is a non issue.
Video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1244688

The IC-7000 is a fantastic rig and I still love mine after about 4 years of daily use. I did have to send it into Icom a few months back for new pin diodes in the 2 meter transmit section. They blew with a high SWR on 2 running high power...it was repaired quickly and reasonably. I didn't realize that at the bottom of the 2 meter band my SWR went up to about 3 to 1 and the rig shut down...
Most CW ops will love the keyer as it has 3 memories and can be looped with a short pause for listening during a CQ call. This is such a nice feature during a contest.
I have the original mike and it works fine but had one a few years back with the mike mod and it worked fine too... it was stolen and had to be replaced along with a new control head.
The prices are reasonable for this rig considering all the features. Good job Icom.

KK5F Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2009 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Iambic Keyer Poorly Designed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It amazes me that so-called reviews of the IC-7000 and other rigs, here and in the ham rags like QST, omit important information as the fact, in the case of the IC-7000, that its iambic keyer ONLY functions in mode B. In spite of the hundreds of menu items available to the operator, including some for the keyer that few would ever wish to change, ICOM stupidly provides NO mode A capability, and has confirmed this firmware design failure. This is important because it is very difficult for an operator accustomed to one mode to use the other. Most Jap rigs with built-in keyers provide only mode B, for some perverse illogical reason. In the US, even $150 QRP rigs with built-in keyers usually provide selectable modes, but not ICOM on their premier mobile/portable rig.

Sure, I could use an external keyer, or revert to single paddle slap key manipulation, BUT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WITH THIS SO-CALLED SOPHISTICATED RIG! An omission of such an obviously needed capability, while providing many many other features of dubious value, leads me to doubt the quality of the whole engineering effort behind the IC-7000.

ICOM, get your head out of your butt! Providing this would cost you nothing but a little conscientious attention to detail in the firmware department.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2009 18:47 Send this review to a friend
My 2 cents on the IC-7000  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 4 FT 817 rigs,3 FT 857-D rigs and 1 FT 897 Rig.
I really don't need another rig but my G/F who is a nurse feels my desk looks better with more rigs on it:-)
I love the rig,had it about 3 months.
Only one thing I feel ICOM should do and that is to use a bigger fan with a lot more CFM.
The rig does run warm even on receive.
I think the Little lady paid $1,150.00 on sale with the separation kit that i'll never use.
Other then the running hotter then my other rigs I have nothing bad to say about it.
It rates a BIG 5 from me