Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7000
ICOM IC-7000 Reviews: 325 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $TBA
Description: HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
2 DSP
Digital voice recorder (DVR)
Improved AGC loop performance
2 MNF (Manual Notch Filter)
2-mode band scope
2.5-inch color TFT display with TV screen receive capability
Remote control Microphone
Digital IF filters

Available mid 2006
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/7000/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7000.

VE8AP Rating: 3/5 Mar 9, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
TRANSMIT AUDIO POOR  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well close but know cigar I bought a Heil goldline thinking that was the ticket to remedy transmit audio to my shock when I tried it the audio was still poor. I tried the new Mic on my 706 MKIIG it was a thing of beauty my ham friends in Texas and California said they hadn't heard me sound that good ever. I have owned a Omni VI and a Ts 130v and various other rig's never with an transmit Audio quality issue as the 7000 has. I like the radio don't get me wrong nice little rig If your a person who loves there audio like many do this is lacking bigtime I am sure there is a fix for this issue but my feeling you shouldn't have to fix something when you buy a new rig. Thanks all 73's from the Ekati diamond mine take care!

WD40 Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2014 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wonderful receive section, the notch filters (2) perform flawlessly while the noise reduction circuitry just plain works! It's simply a joy to listen to this little radio, best value for the buck hands down!

VK2FZR Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2014 02:51 Send this review to a friend
good radio to have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-7000 2 years ago and it is a pleasure to use. It drives a 1K-FA amp quite nicely on HF and 6. it does run pretty hot even just sitting there but a cooling fan on top does the trick if you are concerned. I think the s metre could be a little more active but if you can hear them who cares. the filters and noise blanker work very well. I did find that on HF and 6m the output is about 130 watt but on 2m it is only 35w. The only problem I have with the radio is the finals blew yesterday so im glad for the 5yr warranty but I guess you can't blame anyone for a faulty part. and yes even with the finals blowing I would still buy it again as it's a great radio to use.

KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I concur with many others that for the money and the footprint size of this radio, it simply cannot be beat. I bought mine used from a friend who had it mounted in his car for 2 years. It was my main rig after I sold my Yaesu 900AT to a fellow member of our Ham Club. It flat out performed better than the 900AT. I then mounted the IC-7000 in a go box for our ARES group that is simply outstanding. It handles everything from CW to digital with the SignaLink USB adapter and HRD installed combined with FLDIGI. I now have an IC-7600 as my main rig, but for our weekly 2M ARES nets, I still use the IC-7000 as it works on all bands flawlessly. It is so good, that our club recently purchased another IC-7000 for our ARES Mobile Emergency Command Center. I would not hesitate to get another and plan on putting one in my car soon. BTW...the friend who sold me his actually turned around and bought another IC-7000 for his car to replace the one I now have. He knows that this radio is simply the best!

KD8RCC Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2014 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Many Features In One Small Package  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-7000 for over a year now. I use a GAP Titan DX antenna with an LDG IT-100 antenna tuner and a Heil headset with boom designed for ICOM radios. I have had no problems making solid contacts in the US, Canada, Central and South America and Europe. The IC-7000 is small enough to mount in a Go-Kit, yet has many features found in larger, more expensive transceivers. In my opinion, this is a great first radio for anyone new to amateur radio. ICOM makes very high quality equipment. My only complaint is that their manuals are not the easiest to understand, but I guess that's what the Nifty Reference Manuals are for.

EA4AZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Big small radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great receiver.
The NB and NR works fine and sound natural.
Others more big transceivers have the tipical robotic voice like r2 d2.
The NR sounds great and natural.
In HF with preamp off have a nice performance. I use with a 4 elementos wide space mono yagi and no have problems in the RX.
Have a great receiver.
In vhf and UHF also have a great receiver. I listen the same very very weaks signal than my IC910HX.
The DSP works much better than IC910HX.
In TX
hf-50 MHz 100w pep
vhf 50w
uhf 37w..... all in a bird 43P.
The temperature in rx and tx is high but I think that is not a problem. For example the rx temperature of my Kenwood TM942 is much higher than the 7000.
A grear radio.

VK3JED Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 02:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 2 IC-7000/AH-4 combos a few years ago when I ran into some money. One was dedicated to the car with a remote cable, the other was for the shack. Overall, this is a great little radio with a few minor issues. I didn't encounter the microphone audio issues others reported. The shack radio has also been taken into the field on a number of occasions and run off a battery/solar charger system and used for both voice and data modes. The IC-7000 is an excellent portable radio, provided you have the power budget to run it for the time period you require.

First the great aspects:

- The noise blanker is superb on SSB. It suppresses most impulse noise without being too nasty on receiver performance.

- The DSP filters are great. It's nice to have a selection of filter shapes available to suit conditions at the time. The notch filters also work extremely well.

- The DSP NR function works quite well. I'm particularly hard on DSP noise reduction, and many systems destroy intelligibility for me as they reduce the noise. The default factory setting for the NR function is a little aggressive and I found it better turned off with these settings. However, a minor tweak of the NR settings resulted in good noise reduction without ruining intelligibility, and the NR function gets a lot more use now.

- Receive performance is excellent. On HF, I never have to use the preamp. On VHF/UHF, the preamp can lift performance a little.

- CAT control is awesome. I run the radio in the shack with a CI-V interface and a soundcard connection for digital modes and remote operation. Pretty much every function is available over CI-V, and some settings are much easier to tweak using a computer than the front panel (Tx power being one of these).

- Just recently, I accidentally hit the "VSC" button and wondered what happened. When the penny dropped, I read the manual and had a play with this function. It seems to work quite well. A weak (barely copyable) HF SSB signal was able to break the voice squelch reliably. The VSC also works well on FM - another potential solution if the local repeater frequency is plagued by birdies and CTCSS is not available on the output.

- The menu system is mostly fairly intuitive, and can be used easily in the car for major functions.

- The AH-4 tuner integrates well with the radio. Operation is simple and reliable.

There are a few minor issues, but they don't detract much from the radio.

- No DTMF on the stock microphone. DTMF memories are all well and good, but they are too inflexible for the mobile IRLP/EchoLink user.

- Tx power adjustment is buried deep in the menu system. In the shack, it's easiest to use CI-V control.

- No option to have squelched FM audio on the accessory port. Squelched audio there would be nicer for remote base operations, especially in my setup where I frequently mix local and remote operations, depending on where in the house I am. Using the speaker output in my setup is too inconvenient, especially as I prefer independent local and remote level controls.

- The bank arrangement of the memories does not play nicely with a lot of software. I'd prefer those memories to be managed as a "flat" block or user defined banks/groups.

- The SWR meter doesn't work on VHF/UHF, which is a pain when trying to diagnose VHF/UHF antenna issues in the car.

- A quirk of my setups is I have 6m available on the VHF/UHF antenna system in the shack, so having 6m on the HF port is a bit annoying, as for FM use, the vertical is a better choice of antenna (and I can reach at least one 6m repeater on it). I can understand why things are the way they are, so this is more of a "wild dream" than a real gripe.

If you're after a mobile with a heap of features, a robust field station or a compact all band, all mode radio for the shack, the IC-7000 is definitely worth a look.

PY7GP Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 07:20 Send this review to a friend
magnificent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best cost benefit ever seen in amateur radio! Spectacular reception (much better than more expensive radios and coveted, EX: FT 1000 MP, FT 950, TS 2000 and many others do not even come close to it) with your wonderful broadcast original microphone. For a radio small it does not heat up almost nothing. In the case of other radios with ts 50 and IC 706 that warmed too! Radio Spectacular!
About buying a radio these can never regret

N8SBE Rating: 0/5 Apr 29, 2013 14:27 Send this review to a friend
After several years, let all the smoke out!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just experienced what a number of other folks have had, an IC-7000 that let all the smoke out!

I've never had a reason to go looking for reports of this sort on the IC-7000, but I see that a number of folks have had run-away thermal events on the PA board, as well. I've had this unit for several years, almost always in a mobile environment, and in this particular situation it was under the rear seat when it flamed out.

I'm very lucky it didn't set the vehicle on fire, the way the fan on the unit was working, up until enough of the PCB board burned up to kill power to the unit. In all that time, none of the fuses blew, neither the one on the radio, nor the two 30A fuses in the power cord.

I'll be calling Icom this evening to arrange for repair, but this experience has shaken my confidence in leaving this radio in my vehicle, connected directly to the battery as it is, even though it is protected by the required fuses, both in the engine compartment and at the radio.

G1EUZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 05:33 Send this review to a friend
No problems in 32 degrees celcius  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just back from operating as ZD8RAF in Ascension Island, in the South Atlantic. The radio performed superbly, no overheating even thought the daily temperature was 32 degrees C. I had done the Bob Nagy Mic Mod some time ago and received many compliments on the audio from the rig. So overall, no complaints, no overheating and no smoke. Superb little radio which allowed me to work 1058 stations in 64 countries on 10m, over a total operating period of about 12 hours.