Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | DX Engineering Receiving Four Square Antenna Switch Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Receiving Four Square Antenna Switch
DX Engineering Receiving Four Square Antenna Switch Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $189.95+
Description: The DX Engineering RFS-1 Receive Four-Square controller is a basic switching unit used to control the direction of a four square array. It also provides the correct phasing by using an innovative time delay scheme based on the size of the array rather than operating frequency. Conventional controllers use a phase delay that is frequency dependant. The RFS-1 can accept switching voltages through the feedline or by a separate control cable. As a stand-alone unit, the RFS-1 user must provide the appropriate switching voltages and directional control. DX Engineering offers a receive four-square system package that includes the RFS-1 switch, a CC-8 Control Console, used for directional control and a FVC-1 Feedline Voltage Coupler which couples the control voltage to the feedline. The package part number is DXE-RFS-1P. It does not include the antenna elements. Four of the active antenna elements are available in a package as well, part number DXE-ARAV-4P.
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search?keyword=rfs&dds=1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Receiving Four Square Antenna Switch.

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2014 07:26 Send this review to a friend
The best yet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my Four Square system at the Dayton Hamvention in 2014. Installed it with 98' per side. There is noticeable height difference between each receive antenna... but it works so well.. that I don't think it make a difference. The closes receive antenna is about 800' from my 160 vertical transmitting antenna. I did install twice the number of ground rods as in the directions, add a RF choke and pre-amp.

My results were very impressive. My noise level is down to S-1 to S-1.5. (I am in a quite rural area with low noise levels to start with at around S-3 to S-5) Receive signals increase by 3 S-units when switched in the direction of the desired signal. QRM and QRN can be eliminated almost completely.

DX Eng products are first class in materials used, assemble, construction and instructions. It worked the first time... right out of the box.

It is worth the cost and labor if you have the space to install it.

W0UCE Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2007 11:28 Send this review to a friend
DXE 4 Square RX System  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Late Friday afternoon, Dec. 29 I completed installation of a DX Engineering 4SQ RX antenna system and it’s performance has certainly impressed me.

First use results:
Friday night 3.577 Khz Eastern Area Net NCS:
I heard everyone one the net using the 4SQ. A number of stations that were weak and in the noise on my Inverted L TX Antenna were perfectly readable using the 4SQ

Saturday – Sunday Stew Perry Top Band Challenge:
Overall conditions poor to fair at best.
I heard and worked stations using the 4SQ that I could barely copy their calls when using any of my three TX antennas or either of my 2 element Beverage On Ground arrays or the K9AY Loop. I worked a number of stations I could not even hear on other RX antennas
Results 430 QSOs – 175 different Grid Squares. The DXE 4SQ achieved my objective of hearing the next layer of signals down from what I could hear with my previous complement of RX antennas!

Configuration:
98’ Per side all 4 antennas within 3-4 feet height difference above ground
Jumper in L1MF position
Located 405 ft. distance from the nearest TX Antenna
What a very pleasant surprise and pleasure to have increased 160/80m RX antenna capabilities.

VA5DX Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2006 12:54 Send this review to a friend
An excellent 160m receiving antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been testing my 160m DX Engineering Receive Four Square DXE-RFS-1P for the last few days (November, 2006). The receiving results range from significant to amazing. By switching the array, signal strength will change from barely audible to loud. I am very impressed with the receiving improvement. The front-back and front-side results are great (I am not going to state numbers as there are many factors and it becomes relative). My noise level has dropped significantly. I built the full size version (135 feet per side) using four passive linear loaded elements from some old KLM 40m beams (about 24 ft long) with top loading (4 x 21 ft), from information on W8JIs website and from N3JB. The closet vertical to the lower end of my transmit half-sloper is 375 ft and the sloper is off the side of the receive array. I found the tuning of the verticals to be 'forgiving' and the frequency coverage to be 'broad'. I use a single C&S Engineering 160/80 meter preamp ahead of the 1000MP. My problem now is that I can copy stations that cannot hear me. I received excellent service from DX Engineering.

W3UA Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2005 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Ultimate low band receiving antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed receiving four square using DX Engineering switch and set of active receiving antennas just before the CQ WW PHONE. I coud not imagine how it transformed the reception on 160 and 80. S/N improved significantly comparing to my 80 meter sloper and 160 meter vertical. Front to side (depending on the angle of radiation, of course) reaches 4-5 S-units, and front to rear -- up to 9 S-units (according to the S-meter of my IC-7800). In the past I could work virtually every station I heard on 80 -- now I can hear 10 times more stations, so I need to think how to improve my transmission capabiities. With recommended 98 feet spacing, the antenna system works very well not only on 80 and 160, but even on 30 meters. A couple of times I used it to receive weak signals on 10 meters, when noise from a distant power line masked weak signals on my 10 meter stacked yagies.