Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipoles Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipoles
DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipoles Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $49.95+
Description: The DX Engineering multi-band dipoles are designs that are rugged yet lightweight. Using a tuner, they are usable to 30 MHz and come complete with the wire elements, ladder feedline, center T support and end mount brackets.

Dipole Models There are 4 configurations:

- DXE-WA-260: 260’ for 160m and below
- DXE-WA-135: 135’ for 80m and below
- DXE-WA-70: 70’ for 40m and below
- DXE-SWA-070: 74’ for 3.5 to 30MHz. Ham or SWL use!

Each model resonates at the low end of the band specified. All DX Engineering Dipole antennas are usable from their primary resonant band to 30MHz.

They’re built using the highest quality components:

- Elements: 14 AWG copper, PVC jacket for flexibility and strength
- Feedline: 100', 18 AWG, 300 Ohm ladder line, UV resistant, 0.88 VF
- Hardware: Stainless Steel
- CENTER T support and end insulators: High impact Black, UV resistant
- Power Rating: 1500w
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-multi-band-dipole-antennas?keyword=wa&page=1

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipoles.

AB1HL Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2008 10:49 Send this review to a friend
great kit for DYI antennas  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've built about half a dozen antennas from
DX Engineering wire dipole kits. The parts are
well designed, easy to use, and flexible --
for example I just made a nice vertical wire
antenna using DXE dipole parts. One nice
feature is that the parts are black and not
bulky -- thus the antennas are pretty stealthy.

PA0DTL Rating: 1/5 Mar 23, 2007 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Well made, but low performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As I wanted to be QRV on 160, but have limited space, I was searching a small multi-band dipole for 160-10. I tried the DX engineering DXE-SWA-148 dipole, but I did not get good reports. On 160, my signal reports where always low, much lower then nearby amateurs with a short dipole.

I never got a helpful answer from DX engineering, so after 4 weeks I replaced it with a Cobra Ultralite senior at the same place! On 160, my signal reports did go up about 15dB!

pa0dtl, The Netherlands

W0TJT Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2006 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Well made and works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put the short version 70 some feet up several weeks ago. The dipole is high quality all the way around. Had a question on the installation which was answered promptly via e-mail. The dipole is installed in V configuration thru several walnut trees with the apex about 30 feet. Not ideal, but the antenna tunes all the bands with a Dentron Super Tuner. Results on 40 meters exceed expectations. I run barefoot, reports are all favorable. I frequently talk to stations using using amplifiers on SSB with favorable results. The 300 ohm twinlead is heavy duty. I decided to use the DX Engineering balun just outside the house so I could use coax to come thru the side of the house since it is AL sided. Highly recommend the antenna.

N5MZL Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2006 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Very well made  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a DXE-SWA-70 80-10 meter antenna earlier this year, and while it's not a barn-burner in terms of performance, it is what it is; a compromise. Of course, I have just about the worst situation for putting up a dipole one could have. Limited number of trees, and all in bad locations for stringing up a wire antenna (I HATE ash trees). The apex is up around 25 feet, and the ends (strung through thick branches) about 15 feet AGL. Because of the tree locations, the two legs are about 120 degrees apart, as opposed to the preferred 180. The ladder line was trimmed per DX Engineering's instructions for 75/80 meters, connected to one of their heavy-duty 4:1 current baluns. It works fairly well with North American stations, not so good with DX. Of course, with my installation and being at the bottom of the solar cycle, this is not too surprising. YMMV. One thing that is VERY good about this antenna is it's construction. Exceptionally well made with stainless steel nuts and bolts and very strong wire and very UV-resistant T support and insulators. This antenna has been yanked, jerked, pulled, shaken and definitely stirred, both by me trying to get it in a better orientation and the weather, and it has held up just fine. The internal tuner on my IC-746PRO handles any mismatches just fine. It's no beam, but if you need something stealthy to get on the air with that won't break the bank, this antenna is definitely worth a look.

VE4EAR Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2006 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Dipole  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased and installed the WA-75 last fall. All the antenna theorists and manufacturers state the same thing. For maximum efficiency, mount the antenna as high as possible and make sure your ladder type feedline is dressed away from the antenna and routed away from all metal structures. All common sense, right?

Becasue my installition is about as far from ideal as possible, I think it is fair to note the details here. Starting with the heigh, one end is in a tree 25' up and the other end is in a second tree at 20'. The center feed is about 8 feet above my single story roof supported by a mast. The ladder line drops away from the mast at a 45 degree angle before entering the attic of my house. The laddder line is twisted about 1 turn per evey 3 feet. The ladder line was cut to just over 90 feet in length as per DX Engineering's instructions. The feedline passes through an interior wall before exiting into my basement where a DX Engineering 1:1 balun is installed between the floor joists. A 20 foot length of RG 213 connects the grounded balun to my Palstar AT-1KM tuner.

With this inferior installation, I was surprised at the results. I can operate on any frequency from 3.5 to 29.7 with a flat VSWR presented to the rig. The benifits of a great tuner no doubt.

I have been able to work Europe, Africa, South America and of course all of North America on all bands so far with 100W. No I will not break any pileups but careful and persistent operating pays off.

The antenna is a 80m dipole. No magic. It will radiate like any 80m dipole installed in the same location.

However the quality of the hardware, end supports and center support are excellent. Lightweight yet sturdy. What else could you want in an inexpensive wire antenna.

The folks at DX Engineering were friendly and the order was filled immediately.

Follow their instructions, use a good quality balun and a tuner, and get on HF!

KD7QXO Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2006 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the WA-70 about a month ago and installed at about 25 feet, just below my roof. I chose this particular antenna over other similar products because I have always been impressed with the helpful and knowledgeable staff at DX engineering. I thought that if I had problems, I could call and get some help.

The antenna worked just great, and it was not necessary to call. With the help of my LDG tuner, I have found that I am able to tune in all of the bands (40 -10 meters) on my Icom 718. Reception is what I expected from a dipole just 25 feet up. I can work regions 5, 6, and 7 quite well, and I always get strong signal reports.

Excellent antenna, and I will gladly purchase again from DX Engineering.
KD7QXO