Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | DX Engineering Feedline Current Chokes Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Feedline Current Chokes
DX Engineering Feedline Current Chokes Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $49.95+
Description: This DX Engineering Feedline Current Chokes decouple the feedline from the antenna, which will improve the directivity, front to back ratio and reduce RFI and noise coming from the radio.

If you wish to reduce feedline radiation and improve reception, a Feedline Current Choke is recommended if your SWR is already low. Adding a DX Engineering Feedline Current Choke at the point where the feedline exits the area of the antenna will substantially reduce unwanted feedline radiation or reception without the need for improved station grounding.

DX Engineering offers 4 types of current chokes:

- DXE-FCC050-H05-P: Feedline Current Choke, plastic case

- DXE-RFCC-1: Receive Only Feedline Current Choke

- DXE-VFCC-H05: Vertical Feedline Current Choke Kit, 2/5 kW, HF

- DXE-VFCC-H10: Vertical Feedline Current Choke Kit, 5/10 kW, HF
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/baluns-ununs-and-chokes?keyword=%22feedline%20current%22%20choke

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Feedline Current Chokes.

NJ8M Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2016 07:32 Send this review to a friend
DXE-VFCC-H05-A  Time owned: more than 12 months
On 4 different verticals I have installed the coax DXE-VFCC-H05-A isolation balun. At ever site it has stopped RF from coming back into the shack and kept noise down from entering the radio off the shield of the coax. By burying the coax before the radial field is place then the addition of the DXE-VFCC-H05-A insures the best possible solution for a vertical antenna. On the last WPX CW, my station using only verticals in Kansas made 1500 plus contacts from a city lot. I cant recommend DXengineering baluns enough. They just simply work and they have the easiest install system out there. Yes they are a bit pricy, but you get what you pay for, a one and done solution.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 10:09 Send this review to a friend
I use 3 chokes, they are GREAT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 3 of the DXE-FCC050-H05-A's in use on 3 different antennas. I use them because having a small lot, the antennas are close to the house. I had trouble using 3 of my antennas in that RF was getting back into the rigs.

Decoupling the power supplies and everything coming in and out of the rigs didn't help much. For grins & giggles, I tried several clamp on chokes on the antenna feedlines where they came into the house. An improvement was noticed, but not fully corrected. So I put 3 of the DXE-FCC050-H05-A's on the feedlines also where the coax came into the house and connected them to the station ground. (the ground consists of 5, 8 foot grounds fanned out over a 20 foot area and interconnected to the station ground. Also, there are quarter-wave radials for all the bands between 160 and 20 meters fanned out from the ground rod system buried about 4" below the grass.

No I can run 1500 watts on all bands without any RFI issues anywhere in the shack.

Finally! No more RF problems. These feedline isolators are terrific!

Bill/K1FPV

W1TSP Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2012 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Results  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Installed a DXE-VFCC-H05-A at the base of my topband inverted L a few months ago.

Got to check it out a few nights ago and was surprised to have cracked the PT0S pileup under suboptimal condtions.

I am attributing this good fortune to the feedline choke since I don't know how to account for it otherwise

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2011 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Does The Job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DXE-FCC050-H05-A choke did exactly the job I expected, reduced the stray RF in my 1st floor shack significantly and a choke on my computer speakersí power line took care of the residual RF. It should vastly reduce the chance that my neighbors will notice (I live in a Condo) when I run high power. Highly recommended.

By the way, the antenna is a Transworld 2010 vertical dipole. The choke is installed about two feet above the ground on a wooden post. The antenna coax comes out of the antenna tuning box at a 45 degree angle, and then goes along the ground for about 5 feet to the choke.

K2JX Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2010 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I,ve added DX's current balun to my Hustler 6BTV vertical (ground mounted) antenna. I had wound my own feed line balun before hand which worked just OK. Now with the DX balun the improvement in my antenna's performance is dramatic.

I have 165' of # 8 copper wire buried beneath the vertical which is fed by 100' of RG-8X in 3/4" PVC conduit from the station to the antenna. The antenna loads right up, RFI in the shack problem on 20m PSK has been solved. My sound card program would "freeze" on 20 at times. No more.

Additionally our local 25KW AM BC station WGSM on 740kc is now isolated from the feed line. WGSM radio broadcasts on a 3 element phased array beaming in my direction during daylight hours and signs off during nightime hours. Another RFI problem solved by DX's Balun.

Build quality is excellent all stainless steel hardware not the current stainless steel junk from a certain country in Asia that will rust or freeze in 12 months. The Aluminum enclosure and braided RF cables are top notch.

My antenna works better now than it ever did and yes the Balun kit is pricey but you get what you pay for. I've also installed DX's 17m add-on kit another winner. I live near NYC on a small lot so getting the most out of my limited yard space and antenna is very important to me.

Thanks DX for products that are well made and actually work, rare combo these days.

de K2JX

K0DXX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2010 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Problem fixed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the model FCC050-H05-A with metal case. I have been fighting RF in the shack from my 40 meter inverted v antenna since I got back on the air two months ago. I paid little attention to it before other than the bite from the mic which made me learn to not get so close. Then I got on PSK31 several weeks ago and it bacame a big problem. I could not operate on 40 or 30 meters because my digital modes program would freeze with even five watts of output from the transceiver. The keyboard and mouse would also go belly up until after a reboot. I tried all of the traditional methods to rid my shack of the RF. The earth ground made things worse and the ground loops had me all tied up in knots. After two weeks of frustration and disappointment I broke down and ordered the Feedline Current Choke form DX Engineering. After installing the choke (built like a tank) under the eves I came back in the shack and was afraid to even try transmitting since this was my last resort. I should not have worried. I started with five watts and snuck slowly up to 25 which I run on PSK and not a twitch from the computer. Then I went to my usual operating spot on 40 phone and went to a hundred watts. Still no complaint from the computer. Then it was amp time and no problem at 500 watts. Not even the old bite on the lip from the mic. Bless you DX Engineering. I would have saved myself two weeks of headaches if I had gone this route in the first place. I have my two bands back (I use the 40 antenna with tuner on 30 meters) and no more welts on my upper lip. Well worth the money.

KD4SZJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2010 07:28 Send this review to a friend
AJ4IB  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used a DX Engineering Choke on my Hustler 5BTV,it has performed flawlessly and has made a real difference in the operation of my antenna.Having used only one other Choke made by Buxcomm (JUNK), I was very surprised to see something that actually works right. Thanx DX!!

K9IUQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2009 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Last summer I built a 1/4 wave 40 mtr vertical. Instead of just putting a SO-239 on the antenna I bought a DXE-VFCC-H05. It worked fantastic. I liked it so much I bought a second DXE-VFCC-H05.

The second choke I put on my 160 mtr inverted L. It replaced a homemade "Collins Coax" choke. The DX Engineering performed MUCH better than my homemade choke. Very pleased with the improved performance.

Stan K9IUQ

KX5N Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2008 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced a RadioWavz 1:1 Choke Balun Isolation transformer with a DXE-VFCC-H05-A. The improvement was very noticeable. I needed a choke balun and the former was cheaper so I bought it. It caused my radio to see a higher SWR on all the bands (Tennadyne T-6). I was not happy with the results. I then bought the DX Engineering choke and all problems solved. I could have saved myself some money and frustration.

Great Product

N3JBH Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Works Great Crappy cover  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought and installed the DXE-FCC050-H05-A Feedline Current Choke. on my Hustler 6 BVT. i must say it works remarkably well. No tvi/rfi nothing. I will admit i was not thrilled to open the box and see the componet's i guess i expected more for the money. amd i would think they could used a better case design aswell. i was going to buy the Array Solutions version. but i admit i was cheap. But i did seal it all up like the state in there manual. and it works very well.

i would give it a 4+ if there was a marking. Only reason i really did not like it was there cheap cover. But heck it did what it was meant to do. So i will be nice and give it a 5