Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Eton E1XM [E1 XM] : E1 AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with XM Satellit Help

Reviews Summary for Eton E1XM [E1 XM] : E1 AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with XM Satellit
Eton E1XM [E1 XM] : E1 AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with XM Satellit Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Eton E1XM [E1 XM] AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with XM Satellite Radio (Optional)

The E1XM [E1 XM] is the world’s first 'portable' {Port-A-Top} Communications Receiver to combine AM, FM, Shortwave, and XM Satellite Radio technology into one ultra-high-performance unit. The finest 'portable' Radio in the world, the E1XM [E1 XM] offers powerful reception through its digitally synthesized PLL Tuner with Synchronous Detector, PassBand Tuning, and Selectable Bandwidth Filters. Offering rich sound, the latest in Radio Technology, 1700 Station Presets, and Memory Scan function, the E1XM [E1 XM] is designed without compromise, giving you direct access to News, Sports, and Music from around the World.
INFO =>
SPECS =>
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ETON-E1-XM-Radio/

You can write your own review of the Eton E1XM [E1 XM] : E1 AM/FM Shortwave Receiver with XM Satellit.

KC2TZX Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2013 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio from when it was released. At about the year anniversary mark my display went blank and had a vertical line running along the right side. A call to Eton set up a warranty repair through Drake which was one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. The radio was out and back within 2 weeks at no cost to me. The radio has been fine ever since. I also have a JRC NRD-545 and an ICOM-R75 and this radio is comparable to both in terms of sensitivity and sound quality. The AM synch feature is, by far, the best asset on this radio. It works flawlessly, locking on to a selected frequency. The display is big, bright and very readable. The only other negative comment I have, which many others have too, is the "sticky, gooey" surface. Mine was fine for a few years but about a year ago it was becoming too much. So much so that after I touched it, my fingerprint was clearly visible on it! I did some research and found an application of 91% isopropyl alcohol would remove it. After a few days of scrubbing and polishing the surface it's as it should be. I can't say I'd recommend this radio to anyone as it's prone to expensive failures but if you find one fairly cheap, take a gamble on it, if it continues to work you won't be disappointed.

WB9GKZ Rating: 2/5 Apr 20, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Just Sold Mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just sold mine on ebay after owning it for about 5 years. It is a tremendous radio. I never had an issue with the radio other than the "sticky paint" which drove me crazy.

My decision to sell off the radio was mainly driven by the fact that I just didn't use it much. Let's face it, there's not much to listen to on Short Wave these days. The sticky icky paint took the joy out of just handling it. Yuk.

It's too bad that Eton came out with this radio during the tail end / demise of SWL'ing. I would have loved to have this radio about 20 years earlier. It was THE BEST portable SWL radio I ever owned. It's also a shame about the paint.

KG8CO Rating: 2/5 Apr 20, 2013 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio Poor QC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my E1XM's (2) for about 5-6 years. During that time, both of them had made their out of warranty visit to R.L. Drake for repair. Both of the E1's have the sticky case syndrome,
and as of today one of the E1's came down with the dreaded blank display issue.

Because of the initial cost of these radios compared to how long they last, I give them a 2 out of 5.

That being said, the radio's are nice when they
are working. Will see how long the remaining radio will last.

N4OAA Rating: 1/5 Jan 16, 2012 12:44 Send this review to a friend
GREAT UNTIL THEY DIE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned 2 Eton E1 radios. The first one (which I purchased brand new) had the antenna (EXT/INT) indicator stop working. The second radio (a high serial number which I bought refurbished from Universal Radio and was like brand new), died after 11 months of use (the display only shows gibberish). RL Drake quoted over $200 if it is a bad chip; over $300 if it is the display itself. I will not get it repaired because I am afraid that it will just die again later. It is a shame, because I really loved the radio when it was working. Both radios had the "sticky case" problem too.

W3SWL Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2011 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Once again a nice radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I posted my review in 2009 I gave the E1XM a "3" rating because my unit (SN 17xx) failed twice for the same problem, and I returned it for a refund. I've always wanted to pick up another E1 and this past summer I was able to find a lightly used unit for a reasonable price at Universal. This unit (SN 68xx) has a slightly sticky coating but functions very well. Once again, the E1 sits next to my Drake R8 and I find myself using it over the Drake for all my listening.

SETTERPT Rating: 2/5 Aug 7, 2011 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Ok receiver, dismal reliability  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive had most every portable shortwave receiver out there that is capable of ssb and this Eton is decent at best. Nearly all of my monitoring is on the ham radio bands and the E1 is simply too noisy for my ears(poor signal/noise ratio). At times this hash noise overwhelms weak signals and renders the contact useless. Perhaps if this receiver had an RF gain adjustment some of this bad noise coming in with a signal could be tempered (as with the Sony ICF 2010). By comparison any of my 2010s are so quiet that I often forget that it is turned on until I'm startled by an incoming signal.
I'm not going to go on about the reliablity of the Eton E1XM. Hopefully any prospective buyer on the used market is aware of their dismal failure rate.
In summary, if amateur radio monitoring is your primary focus there are much better performance choices out. If the curiosity is too great and you feel you must try the E1 then treat it as a short term and costly endeavor as these radios will not last long before needing costly repairs.

MMAGHAKIAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 19:40 Send this review to a friend
it deserves 6 stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
first off remember that a used E1XM can be had for less than $300, so don't compare it to a $2000 desktop. an R8B is better but still flawed.
most of the most experienced radio listeners in the hobby have declared that the E1XM is the best portable ever.
in fact, IT IS.
the E1XM is incredible.
is it perfect ? NO receiver or portable ever built could be declared perfect.
but for the price, the E1XM is the perfect value.
I have owned the E1XM for quite a few years and modded it with DSP and lithium power.
get a good used one and I can't see how anyone could be dissappointed. there is nothing else close. every other portable is in the minor leagues in comparison.
whatever flaws you may point out for the E1XM I can point out more serious flaws with almost any other radio. ( by the way, price can be a flaw if you have to spent $2000 to get a bit better performance)

VK2FFAC Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2010 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Simply Great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I rolled the dice with this model nigh on three months ago now. I own an old Sony 2001, Sony SW100, Sony 7600GR and a Degen 1103. For a table top, I have a much loved FRG 7700 which I've owned for nearly thirty years. I use these radios as my comparison.
As I am in Australia, the Eton E1XM is a very rare bird and having read the mixed reviews on this radio and feeling the need for a receiver with a decent sound, I decided to import one using Ebay.
So far I've found sensitivity to be better than any of the ports using the integral whip. The functions are superior, including the pass band tuning for SSB on a crowded 80 mtrs. The memory functions are something to behold. Very intuitive.
The 1 amp power adapter has no degradation on SSB, which places it above the Degen straight up - no comparison. The AM reception on the whip is just as good at night as some ferrite bar receivers I own. No gripes as yet, battery life excellent, night bedside use excellent, outdoors excellent. I am glad I took the gamble.

WF7I Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2010 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Truly amazing radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new owner of this radio, but am so excited about its performance I wanted to post about it here. I was looking for a radio to replace my aging Sony 2010, and the Eton E1XM more than fit the bill.

My experience with most shortwave portables is that they have very poor or very average performance. Often the sensitivity is poor, sometimes images appear in various bands, and the audio quality is horrendous. This radio suffers from none of these drawbacks. I'd rank its sensitivity to be the best I've ever had in a portable, especially using just the supplied telescoping whip. The audio has rich, deep bass and a wonderful sound, reminiscent of my experiences as a kid playing with my uncle's old Zenith Transoceanic. The tuning aids are great, including an IF shift control and 3 selectable bandwidths. The sync tuning mode works well and is easy to implement, eliminating a lot of interference.

As a monitor for a ham station, which is one of its primary uses for me, this radio should be excellent. Just tuning 40 and 80 m brought up a wealth of signals, very clear and loud considering I was just on the internal whip.

In general, operating this rig has the feel of operating a much more expensive ham rig on a desktop, except with even better audio. It was a bargain at the ~$400 price range.

The negatives that I can see are few and minor. The display shows some streaking while tuning. And the radio was hard to find -- I'm not sure if it is being discontinued already or not. It seemed like it was only available either via an E-bay route or new through Universal Radio.

I will post again after more time using this radio, or if any quality control issues come about. So far though I am a very satisfied user.

WB8YZN Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Best Portable- Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have used several portable shortwave receivers here - ( Sony 2010 and Grundig Satellite 800 ) .
This Eton E1 XM is by far the best I have used thus far . The AM synchronous operation is as good as the Sony 2010 , reduces distortion and fading in AM mode. The band pass filters are a good all around choice for different modes ( 7.0 , 4.0 , 2.3 Kc ) The Blue Display is very informative/ usefull - makes for intuitive operation . The E1 compared to the Grundig Satellite 800, the E1 is smaller(slightly larger than the Sony 2010 ) Memories on the Eton E1 are much easier to use than the Sat 800 . E1 performance on medium wave with the whip antenna pulled in all the stations on medium wave 20 to 40db over S9 . Shortwave performance with tools like the Pass band tuning and double sideband, LSB , USB, AM syncronization proved to be strong interference fighting tools. The squelch on the Eton E1 works - All modes All bands .
Audio performance is as good as the Sony 2010 but not as full as the Sat 800 .
The 4 "D" cell batteries should prove to power the E1 nicely for its size . Considering
what`s available for shortwave portable receivers new with warranty in Feb 2010 this E1 is worth the $420 to $500 price tag.