Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Zenith Trans-Oceanic 1000/1000D and 3000 Help

Reviews Summary for Zenith Trans-Oceanic 1000/1000D and 3000
Zenith Trans-Oceanic 1000/1000D and 3000 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: First transistor Trans-Oceanic

You can write your own review of the Zenith Trans-Oceanic 1000/1000D and 3000.

N4VNV Rating: 3/5 Apr 2, 2012 07:38 Send this review to a friend
OK but there are better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a new Zenith in 1965, it was good but not really setup to listen to SSB. So, in 1967 I purchased a new Braun Station T-1000 Receiver. 100% better AND had BFO for SSB. Kept it for 13 years, and very much wish I never sold it.

KA2AYR Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 06:56 Send this review to a friend
I love this thing!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As a kid, my next door neighbor had a Trans-Oceanic. I got to mess with it when I went over to play with his kids. I was no stranger to shortwave, but got to tuning around on the Trans-Oceanic's longwave and picked up the TWEB on Newark-Elmira Radio. There is such thing?! It was magic. Fast forward to 1995. I picked up my very own at the Yonkers hamfest. I thought to myself the guy getting rid of it had no idea what he was giving up. I get it home, load the batteries and there it was - not only a superb receiver, but a transportable time machine! I pulled in all sorts of nondirectional beacons from hundreds of miles. This receiver also delivered the tragic news of Princess Di from abroad. It STILL works beautifully and looks beautiful as well.

N0CEK Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2010 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Classic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a 1966 TO 3000-1 which I bought overseas in the military. After a couple of years and not wanting to haul this heavy radio home I made the mistake of selling it to a friend. I regretted that move for a long time. I had a GE World Monitor waitng back home but that radio though being good didn't even come close to the Zenith.

I have bought many SWL radios since then, but always missed the Roll Royce of radio's! I was lamenting this to a good friend of mine one day and he said wait one moment went into his basement and brought out a 1964 TO 3000-1. I made an offer to buy it off of him, but no he insisted I take it as a gift! His father had left it to him and he wanted to make sure it would go to someone who would treasure it as much as his dad did! I was flabbergasted.

This darn radio still performs just as well as anything I have and maybe in some cases even better. It sounds a heck of a lot better on AM/FM that is for sure. I like it better than my Grundig S800, S750, and S350DL. It has the quitest background to signal ratio of any of those radio's. Of course it's anolog tunning with no memories etc.

The radio is made like a battleship, stainless steel chassis, hand wired with plug in components. I am lucky enough to have the orginal power supply with it and it all works pretty good to this day.

If you like old vintage radio's get one of these, you can still get them fixed with new parts for a fair price. Replacement germain tranistors are still made in Russia that work in this radio. You wont be sorry and it is one of the best looking radio ever made.

SLIDERULEX Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2006 19:15 Send this review to a friend
The American Classic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a lot of high quality worldband radios such as the Sony 2010, Panasonic RF-2200, and the upstart Degen DE1103. These three perform exceptionally well on shortwave. These are my top three radios in terms of pulling in shortwave signals. I have lots of other worldband radios that do a fine job, too, but these three I consider my best.

But the newest addition to my collection is the Zenith 1000D, and it performs as well as my top three on shortwave! It's ease of use and high sensitivity on shortwave with accurate tuning dial coupled with exceptional battery life (over 300 hours on 9 D-size carbon-zinc per technical specs, so who knows how many hours on alkalines!) makes the Zenith 1000D one of my best shortwave performers. It doesn't have SSB, but I knew that when I won it on ebay for $60.00.

With batteries, this baby weighs a ton, so though it is techically portable, it probably is better suited on a desktop. I like the 60's look and feel of this beauty. And its range of frequencies goes from 530 - 1610 KHz on broadcast band (MW) and 2 - 21 MHz on shortwave with skipping some frequencies in the shortwave bands. But shortwave coverage is pretty good and almost all the stations I like to listen to I can do so easily. Especially on shortwave, the Zenith picks outta the air even very faint signals some of my other worldband radios can't hear.

This is a radio that should be in every worldband lover's collection. It performs very well on MW and SW (though no SSB) and lasts forever on batteries. You won't be disappointed.

KC7JBB Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2005 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great looks and still works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Considering how old these radios are they are amazing. They function well and still can hold their own with there more modern counterparts.
I just finished writing a review for my T-7000 and I will say ditto for my T-1000. Even lacking the fm band and some other attributes this radio is better looking to me than my 7000. I love the grill mesh on this radio it's a work of art.
The only other radio I have in my collection that equals the TO's in sound quality and reception is the Grundig Ocean boy 200 or 210 (I dont remember) but it is rather stark and boring in outward appearence like most european styles of the time. I will take the metal finsish and gold styling accents on the TO over the cream colored plastic of the Grundig anyday. These rados had Style.

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 00:43 Send this review to a friend
A piece of American history  Time owned: more than 12 months
With out any doubt this is an American classic! The 3000 is the same as the 1000/1000D before it with the addition of the FM broadcast band. When properly aligned they are high end performers as far as portable receivers go. No there not the most selective and they lack a built in BFO (some folks add their own or use a Zenith add on kit) but for the era they come from they're top notch! The sound quality from these radios is also nice. As far as the solid state T/Os go, the 1000/3000 series are the best looking in my book.

I own several and things to watch out for are cracked handle which also happens to be the whip antenna housing (Zenith calls it a "wave rod"), battery leakage that has corroded the chassis (slight leakage from past batteries isn't uncommon, don't let that worry you) and of course bubbling finish of the exterior metal parts. This sadly is common on the 1000/3000 series radios.

If you find one in good to excellent condition that is complete, buy it. Once aligned and tuned properly, you wont be disappointed by this great American icon.