Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Palstar PS-50M Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar PS-50M
Palstar PS-50M Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $289.00
Description: 13.8V PSU at 40A

You can write your own review of the Palstar PS-50M.

G6TUH Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2013 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Palstar PS-50  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned for 5 years. Shortly after getting it I was operating on a special call - pile ups. The fan kicking in was a problem because it was loud. Easy fix, piggy backed a PC quiet fan onto the outlet and wired directly into the 13.8v output. When I switch the PSU on the PC fan runs all the time, no noise and the 'big' fan has only kicked in twice since the mod' Good chunky PSU. It would have been 5/5 if I did not have to do the modification.

G0UOO Rating: 1/5 Aug 15, 2012 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Not So Great Now!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After two years the unit has gone faulty. The output went to 20V, but the over-voltage protection failed to work.

So, that's two faults, and potentially (no pun intended!) very expensive had the rig's smoke come out.

I have yet to dig into what's gone pop, but will post my findings when have the answer.

G0UOO Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2010 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Workmanlike  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nicely made and beefy PSU. However, that fan's too loud. Something I'll be looking at. If not for the fan noise this would be a five.

G0HWC Rating: 3/5 Apr 17, 2009 15:06 Send this review to a friend
loud !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got mine some time back and has sat unused. Last week I made room for it and wow, it was silent and looks good too. It was on for about 20 mins when the fan kicked in, its far too loud !!!It is now sitting on the shack floor again unused until I can ether put it in the loft or sort the loud fan out. Anyone tried to slow the fan down ?

Paul G0HWC

G7VKX Rating: 3/5 Sep 25, 2005 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Big but unrefined  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Palstar PS50 for little over a year now and it's seen daily use up to 38 amps (continuous)without a grumble. It is quite a large unit (weight & dimensionally)although it can be rack-mounted which looks really neat & overall the unit is of good build quality. Adorning the front panel are a couple of analogue meters for voltage (non-variable) & amps, neither of which are illuminated. The output terminals are also located on the front and really could have been graced with at least one additional set of terminals given the abundence of space available (front or rear)During operation the Palstar is quiet, with no noticeable hum, however when the thermostatically controlled fan kicks in (which is a little sensitive I hasten to add!) the noise is excessive. I intend to modify mine with additional output terminals and an adjustable fan, had this already been provided by Palstar then I'd have rated the PS-50 with a 5.

G8LIK Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2005 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Big and beefy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only got this a few days ago so its first impressions, a really solid unit and I appreciate the metering of V and I.Weighs 19KG or so and not a flimsy cheapo PSU. It works great with the TS480HX which draws around 37A in practise. I would have given it a 5 but the large rear fan is a bit too loud and distracting when the thermostat cuts in. But in terms of value for money you can't go wrong. Also comes with brackets for 19 inch rack mount for those who desire it. Hope the long term reliability will be as good as its looks.