Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Welz SP-220 Help

Reviews Summary for Welz SP-220
Welz SP-220 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 1.8-150MHz wattmeter/SWR meter, 200W, 20W, and 2W scales

You can write your own review of the Welz SP-220.

G0HZU Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2011 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Quite accurate on CW Power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got one of these recently for convenience. I tested it against an Anritsu lab power meter and the results were surprisingly good. The scale on all three ranges 2W/20W/200W was quite accurate.
The PEP function isn't so good and the SWR function is best described as 'inaccurate'

I did look inside mine as it needed a slight tweak to calibrate it on all three ranges. The accuracy is very good from 1.8 to 30MHz (ballpark 5 to 10%)but the accuracy declines at 144MHz but it is still acceptable.

Although this meter looks similar to the Yaesu YS-60 I believe it uses a much simpler meter drive circuit. According to the Yaesu manual the YS-60 uses op amps to drive the meter and so requires 13.8V to operate. The Welz SP220 uses passive drive for the meter and you can see it doesn't have a 'POWER OFF' position on the right hand meter switch.
To summarise, this is a remarkably accurate meter for 1.8MHz to 30MHz but I would advise using the FWD and REF switch positions to work out the return loss rather than the SWR feature as the SWR circuit is not very good.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2009 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice Meter !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had mine about 8 years from HamFest in Nashville Tn,Yeasu brought Welz out years ago anyway it work like it sould !

Jackie
KG4ORX
VP of Mtars club
WWW.KG4ORX.COM

WX1F Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2009 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Best for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my SP-220 for over ten years and it's never failed me. Calibration is simple and this little workhorse is just as accurate as a bench standard meter from 80m to 2m! My advice is buy one the next time you get the opportunity.

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2009 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Exellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gave 15 for mine on Ebay, best money ever spent.
Super little meter, easy to use and accurate. Very nice when back lit as well.

M0JIY Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2008 14:45 Send this review to a friend
not sure  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one second hand- not sure what to make of it: maybe you can help?! The power meter seems to show half the output of the radio- maybe it is showing the power in ssb?! Seems to be accurate as a swr meter. Looks well made. Every swr meter seems to give me a different reading anyway! How will I know if I am damaging my rig?

AH6RR Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2005 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Same as the Yeasu  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great meter it is the same as the Yeasu YS-60 I have owned one for 3 years and sold it. I wish I did not sell it I am looking for another now but hard to find...