Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RM-50M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RM-50M
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: Astron linear power supply with separate volt and amp meters.
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

You can write your own review of the Astron RM-50M.

W5NM Rating: 1/5 Jul 19, 2016 08:23 Send this review to a friend
What's Up Astron?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a new Astron SS-30M. Meters Pegged on
initial power up. Was not usable. Sent it back and got another one and it works OK. Browsing the Internet, I found a lot of people with Pegged Meters on initial power up. Astron's Quality Control is obviously poor. I think they need some new design engineers. For a company making power supplies for many decades this is inexcusable.
However I suspect they get their products from China like everybody else. That would explain it.

WA7AQH Rating: 2/5 Jul 18, 2016 21:21 Send this review to a friend
What has happened to Astron?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the rack mount version of this power supply. Chose it because of great experience with Astron through the years.

First one came in defective and DXE sent me a pickup tag.

Second one seemed to be working ok, then got a letter from DXE telling me Astron has a problem with this one and it may get hot enough to start a fire. Looked in the rack desk where I'd put it about four inches below the top, and, sure enough, the wood was darkened and I couldn't put my hand on the top of the power supply even when it had only been running about 25 amps.

DXE said I could return it or work with Astron to solve the problem. That's a no brainer. Another pick up tag from DXE.

Hopefully the rack mount Samlex will work better.

AD0FT Rating: 2/5 Aug 26, 2015 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Runs very hot with no load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased an RM-50M from DX Engineering to power an ICOM IC-7100. Powered it on and the voltmeter pegged at 15v. Measured with a DVM and was 13.78 at the binding posts, so I knew I would have to adjust that one day. After using it for a while I noticed that the top was very hot. Unplugged it, let it cool down, then put it on the bench with no load. Put a temp probe on the transformer core - it read 149F. That is with no load. Call Astron tech support and was told that his is normal because there is an internal load that draws 700ma. I don't buy that 700ma would cause a giant, 50lb core to heat up to 149F. I am going to do load testing now and see if I can fry bacon on it. Stay tuned...

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty and good quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a heavy duty power supply. The only shortcoming is the fact that the heat sink blades are very sharp so be careful!!

Otherwise, built like a tank and an excellent buy either used or new.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 07:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SUPPLY  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the RS-50M for a couple of years & had ZERO issues.Upgraded to the RS-70M so another local ham has been running the RS-50M since also without any issues.I've NEVER had an issue with an ASTRON power supply since 1994. }:>)

AL7B Rating: 3/5 Dec 5, 2009 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Check Internal Wiring  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would like to give this supply a 5 but have to knock it down for construction. When installing one to be used as a charging power source in a West Mountain PowerGate system I had to open the supply to adjust the voltage.

I can look past the fact the point to point wiring in recent Astron products which are full of examples of what not to do. But imagine my surprise when I found the wire that was to connect the base of one bank of pass transistors floating loose inside. Not tinned or broken loose, just stripped and hanging there. I had a 25 amp power supply, not 50.

At least Astron provided a schematic with the product so I could make the repair, but had it not been for needing the voltage adjustment the repair would not have been done until it had failed in service.

It seems Astron is riding on their reputation and name while the product quality is declining.

The physical application is great, but in the back of my mind I simply don't trust the supply, wondering what other QC errors might be lurking.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2009 18:34 Send this review to a friend
24\7\365  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2 astrons have been running my station and test bench 24/7/365 for the last 10+ years without a single failure. I never turn them off. The only way to beat an Astron is with a BIGGER Astron!!!!!

KG8Q Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Has never missed a beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very solid rackmount supply which I have installed in a 19" rack .Trips out the breaker when I turn it on with virtually no load on it . It could be I have a breaker going soft though. I just leave it on ,problem solved ! Never works up a sweat no matter what I've thrown at it (car audio amps \radio equip etc)

KE7FZO Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2006 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Here's the Beef!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It would appear this is a relatively un-remarkable, moderately priced 50 amp rated power supply. There are no fancy bar graphs, nor even a single chorus of a Broadway hit when you power it up. Yet, so far, it has proven it is clean running silent provider that is willing to power nearly anything from imported 12VDC linears, science projects, or even a cigarette lighter(sorry, no outlet provided)without even breaking a sweat.
Using a quality VOM, I found the voltage meter slightly overzealous in reporting - 13.00vdc on the RM-50M meter is closer to 12.72vdc in actuality. The amperage meter of the unit stayed +/- 5% over the entire scale of usage. Over all this is a smooth, strongly built pleasure to own. I look forward to lugging it around for many years of hopefully long and care free operation, because it's not going anyplace and heck its good exercise.
I did save the best for last, as this unit is American made!!!
73's

N2FDU Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2005 11:43 Send this review to a friend
A real workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Heavy and unwieldy, but worth the expense and effort. We've had one in service for almost 15 years powering our UHF repeater system. Only one component failure to date; a rectifier that was easily replaced. If reliability is a concern, buy one of these battleships!

If you live or work in the New York City area, feel free to work our repeater on 448.875 MHz, CTCSS 151.4 Hz. Call sign is W2UHF.