Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RM-50M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RM-50M
Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: Astron linear power supply with separate volt and amp meters.
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

You can write your own review of the Astron RM-50M.

KD0ZV Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2017 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Good supply but not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has worked well except for the bulbs burning out in meters after a few months. Of course Astron does not have replaceable bulbs and only sell the meter as a replacement assembly. So had to convert to LED which required tapping the 12 volt side of bulb in a different spot but in the end works well and should be a long term solution.

This supply runs ridiculously hot and if I get time I am going to modify it with some fan cooling.

Honestly wish I had stuck with my 35m which ran perfect for 30 years with exception of power switch replacement.

W8FKI Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2017 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this supply for over 7 years with excellent results. Runs cool with 100watt HF transceivers and VHF rigs. No problems whatsoever!!

W1XYZ Rating: 0/5 Jan 5, 2017 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Worked briefly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It did not take long for this lightly-used supply to stop working. One look inside with the sloppy skywire wiring and cheap looking transformer convinced me that it was inevitable.

W5NM Rating: 1/5 Jul 19, 2016 08:23 Send this review to a friend
What's Up Astron?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a new Astron SS-30M. Meters Pegged on
initial power up. Was not usable. Sent it back and got another one and it works OK. Browsing the Internet, I found a lot of people with Pegged Meters on initial power up. Astron's Quality Control is obviously poor. I think they need some new design engineers. For a company making power supplies for many decades this is inexcusable.
However I suspect they get their products from China like everybody else. That would explain it.

WA7AQH Rating: 2/5 Jul 18, 2016 21:21 Send this review to a friend
What has happened to Astron?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the rack mount version of this power supply. Chose it because of great experience with Astron through the years.

First one came in defective and DXE sent me a pickup tag.

Second one seemed to be working ok, then got a letter from DXE telling me Astron has a problem with this one and it may get hot enough to start a fire. Looked in the rack desk where I'd put it about four inches below the top, and, sure enough, the wood was darkened and I couldn't put my hand on the top of the power supply even when it had only been running about 25 amps.

DXE said I could return it or work with Astron to solve the problem. That's a no brainer. Another pick up tag from DXE.

Hopefully the rack mount Samlex will work better.

AD0FT Rating: 2/5 Aug 26, 2015 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Runs very hot with no load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased an RM-50M from DX Engineering to power an ICOM IC-7100. Powered it on and the voltmeter pegged at 15v. Measured with a DVM and was 13.78 at the binding posts, so I knew I would have to adjust that one day. After using it for a while I noticed that the top was very hot. Unplugged it, let it cool down, then put it on the bench with no load. Put a temp probe on the transformer core - it read 149F. That is with no load. Call Astron tech support and was told that his is normal because there is an internal load that draws 700ma. I don't buy that 700ma would cause a giant, 50lb core to heat up to 149F. I am going to do load testing now and see if I can fry bacon on it. Stay tuned...

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty and good quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a heavy duty power supply. The only shortcoming is the fact that the heat sink blades are very sharp so be careful!!

Otherwise, built like a tank and an excellent buy either used or new.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 07:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SUPPLY  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the RS-50M for a couple of years & had ZERO issues.Upgraded to the RS-70M so another local ham has been running the RS-50M since also without any issues.I've NEVER had an issue with an ASTRON power supply since 1994. }:>)

AL7B Rating: 3/5 Dec 5, 2009 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Check Internal Wiring  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would like to give this supply a 5 but have to knock it down for construction. When installing one to be used as a charging power source in a West Mountain PowerGate system I had to open the supply to adjust the voltage.

I can look past the fact the point to point wiring in recent Astron products which are full of examples of what not to do. But imagine my surprise when I found the wire that was to connect the base of one bank of pass transistors floating loose inside. Not tinned or broken loose, just stripped and hanging there. I had a 25 amp power supply, not 50.

At least Astron provided a schematic with the product so I could make the repair, but had it not been for needing the voltage adjustment the repair would not have been done until it had failed in service.

It seems Astron is riding on their reputation and name while the product quality is declining.

The physical application is great, but in the back of my mind I simply don't trust the supply, wondering what other QC errors might be lurking.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2009 18:34 Send this review to a friend
24\7\365  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2 astrons have been running my station and test bench 24/7/365 for the last 10+ years without a single failure. I never turn them off. The only way to beat an Astron is with a BIGGER Astron!!!!!