Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KU4AB SQ-144HV Help

Reviews Summary for KU4AB SQ-144HV
KU4AB SQ-144HV Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $54.95
Description: Square omni-directional loop and vertical antenna with a single feedpoint. the SQ-144HV gives both horizontal and vertical performance across the entire 2meter band. Now your allmode can run just one antenna for FM or SSB on 2 meters
More info: http://www.ku4ab.com

You can write your own review of the KU4AB SQ-144HV.

K1SNR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is easy to assemble right out of the box. It was packaged nicely too, with no damage during shipping at all.

I was able to put it together in minutes and test it out. I had never before used a phased antenna, so I sent an email asking about it. A nice response from KU4AB set me on the right road to understanding how this thing works.

Right after assembling, the antenna had a 1.5:1 SWR, without any tweaking at all.

A previous reviewer said something about shooting over close operators. Well, I am running QRP, with an old Icom IC-2AT putting out 1.5 W simplex. Another HAM that lives about 2 miles from me can hear me 59, as well as another friend who lives about 7 miles away. I can hear another guy 45 at a distance of about 14 miles. This is with the antenna about 10 feet from the ground. Definitely looking forward to mounting this thing about 25 feet up.

I would recommend this antenna, and think the price is a good deal.

KC0LRP Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2010 19:09 Send this review to a friend
can't see any problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the sq-144hv 3/4 vertical in march2010. It was so simple to put togehter who needs a manual?I sure didn't works very good. Only problem is that it doesn't work to close in signals are little weak,an you over shoot operaters that are close to you.Works great out in distance.

KC8VWM Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2006 17:26 Send this review to a friend
A Little Big Gun  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So what's a little, big gun exactly? Get one of these and you will quickly find out.

Bought a KU4AB SQ-144HV earlier this year in Dayton for the purpose of using it as my primary portable "take along antenna" for my Yeasu FT 817 back pack rig.

These antennas are so small that one can easily pack one inside a suitcase and set up in any motel room in seconds. But I must caution you that you should not let the small footprint of this antenna fool you.

I used it during this years VHF contest weekend (June 10, 2006) on 2m SSB using only the 5 watts supplied by my FT 817, operating on it's own internal battery pack connected to my secret weapon, the KU4AB little big gun sitting on the tabletop beside my FT 817.

I estimate this antenna had a grand elevation of 10 feet while sitting on my back yard deck. :)

I had very little difficulty from central Ohio contacting several stations north into MN and one contact south east into grid square FM09 on 2m SSB.

Gee, that's got to be at least 150 miles away!

I couldn't help but start looking up on the roof at my Cushcraft 10 element Yagi antenna I use for my regular station and started wondering what would happen if I replaced it with this KU4AB little big gun.

The fact that it is truly dual polarized means no fuss is required when I want to talk on local repeaters, local simplex or if I want to switch over and operate 2m SSB. It really works on the fly without any antenna switching required. Great antenna for portable work.

For QRP work in the past I have tried dipoles, dual band ringo's, 5/8 wave Larsen mobile antenna's and to be quite frank, I never seen an antenna this small perform like this before.

One of the undocumented features I found out about was the idea that you could exchange the vertical 2 meter section with a 6 meter whip section which makes this antenna even more practical in the field as a portable "all in one" antenna.

This antenna is truly portable, versatile and well constructed.

The best part is how well this antenna works considering it's physical dimensions compared to portable Yagi's that are 3 times larger in size.

Even my friends who are working on the same frequency using big gun Yagi's hearing stations well over 100 miles away are amazed when I can squeak in my signal back to them using nothing but my little QRP rig and this amazing KU4AB antenna.

Would I recommend it to anyone else?

..You bet.

73 Charles - KC8VWM

KD4EPG Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2006 10:36 Send this review to a friend
A great choice for SSB and FM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of the SQ-144 H/Vs from Phil and boy was I amazed. The performance across the entire 2 meter band is great. I can talk SSB or FM without flipping a switch or turning a rotor knob. And.. I can talk with the big boys (long boom yagis). The only fellow I can't compete with around here is a guy that has 350 feet of added elevation on me and he can see for over 50 miles in each direction... no antenna can compete with that..

The quality of the antenna is fantastic. If you need an instruction sheet with these antennas, you need to think about just selling your rig.

My HV and my SQ-50 are mounted on the same mast about 20 feet off the ground (limitations of where I live) and both perform admirable. The both have withstood sustained winds of over 75 miles per hour (edge of a tornado) with NO damage whatsoever...

As an antenna builder (homebrew type) and owner of several commercial antennas, I can tell you point blank, there is no better bang for the buck than these antennas.

Dennis
KD4EPG

W6GMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2006 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Used Daily  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted the antenna on a tri mag mount in the center of my truck roof. I used in in my contest rove here in CA worked very well. I also have used it along with a SQ-432 loop from Phil to work FM satellites with good results. This antenna replaced a standard SQ-144 of Phil's that had over 10,000 miles of use on the truck I wanted to try the CP using the SQ-144HV. Gave the old antenna to a fellow Ham and it is still going strong. Phil is easy to work with. Look at his web site he has several great ideas for SSB antennas for home or auto.