Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Larsen NMO-150 Help

Reviews Summary for Larsen NMO-150
Larsen NMO-150 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $35 (Street Value)
Description: NMO 150 (2m)
Frequency: 144-174 MHz
Gain: 3dBd / 5.2dBi
Electrical: 5/8 wave
Height: 49"
Power Rating: 200 Watts
More info: http://www.radialllarsen.com

You can write your own review of the Larsen NMO-150.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2010 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Makes great ground plane antenna too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just took an NMO150 antenna and mounted it on the Larsen ground plane kit. Not only is this the best mobile antenna, in my opinion, but it makes a great weather resistant antenna for mounting permanently high in the air. If you need a light weight, very wind and weather resistant gain 2 meter antenna for home use, pick up one of the Larsen ground plane kits and mount an NMO150 5/8 wave mobile antenna on it. The wind won't hurt it, and it makes the best and most rugged 5/8 wave ground plane antenna you can buy.

KC0KP Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
These antennas are the gold standard of communications. I have installed hundreds of these for decades. The original ones were silver plated for lower resistance. I can count on one hand the number of failures, all of them mechanical from smacking something that was hanging low. (Okay, one that the whip wrapped around a car wash brush that tried to pick up the car by the antenna, glad it was not my car.)
This antenna was the standard of the Colorado State Patrol for many years after numerous range and gain tests.

WN1B Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Simply Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Based on other eHam reviews of the Larsen NMO-150, I purchased the NMO-150B from AES Orlando for my Silverado to support a new 65w Icom IC-2200H. Not only does this antenna fully live up to it's eHam reputation, it's hardly even noticeable in black.

Great performer, highly recommended, would buy another without hesitation!

KE5CK Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2009 05:24 Send this review to a friend
From trash to treasure!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Believe it or not, I found my Larsen NNO 150 on the ground behind a trash dumpster. It was 20 years ago and I was a gung-ho volunteer fireman and college student. Being a poor college student, I was not too proud to pick up a "piece of junk" someone had thrown away and I needed a good antenna for my mobile scanner for my volunteer fire-fighting service/hobby. I cleaned up the light rust on the L-bracket mount and soldered some new coax to it and and mounted it on the bed of my truck. It worked great! I suspect it had been used for a business band radio in it's previous life before being tossed in the trash. That's another sign of a good product....when you see it used in commercial applications. I have seen thousands of these antennas used on business radio installations as well as public service vehicles for police, fire, EMS, forestry, etc. A short while later, I got interested in ham radio and got my tech ticket. Well, I then trimmed the whip a little and tuned it up for 2 meter use and proceeded to use that antenna for the next 10-12 years. It was awesome! It was always very flat, had a super long range and was very durable! It did eventually wear out and I had to retire it when the threaded brass mounting ring inside the base coil came loose and the antenna would no longer stay put on the mount. I still have it and might try putting an epoxy of some sort in there to fix it and see how much more service I can get from it. I have tried some other brands. The little MFJ cellular lookalike dualbander magmount did OK for a $20 antenna. I had 2 Lakeview dualbanders that were larsen copies. Both of those were junk. Was considering trying Comet and/or Diamond, but after reading hit and miss reviews, I plan to go with what has worked for years.....Larsen!! The tough decision will be whether to go with a dualbander or 2 singles and a duplexer. That old NMO 150 was so awesome, it is really hard to resist so I am thinking about spending the extra dough on the 2 singles and duplexer. Buy a NMO 150. You'll be glad you did and so will the guy who gets it after you are done with it!

N7TRZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 21:28 Send this review to a friend
better than ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started using Larsen products 40 years ago when it was the Old Man and a small crew putting them together from gray tubing and epoxy in Vancouver. I still have the first ones I bought! This latest incarnation is more durable and long-lasting than ever. Nothing left to weather or leak (although they aren't as "pretty" anymore). The one piece base coil and a Mylar label last a good long time. I miss the old shop but Radiall/Larsen is very good with customer service. Parts are never a problem.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2008 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Commercial grade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many mobile antennas over the years, from several different companies. But I have to rate the Larsen 5/8 wave at the top of the heap. It performs, it lasts for ever, and it's trouble free. There is an O ring in the base to seal it from even the harshest conditions, including the salt air, (I live on the Gulf coast of South Florida). It's truly commercial grade and just does not quit. What more can you ask?

KF4LYU Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2008 12:18 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Larsen 150 for about 12 years now, got it when i first got my license.

it has performed flawlessly til this day, mine is mounted on the Larsen magnet base and the magnet base has a few cracks from the weather and such,, but non the less,,I cannot find any faults in this antenna, I am even amazed at some of the distant repeaters that i have worked with this antenna.

i recommend this antenna to all that is looking for an excellent antenna that wont break your billfold,,get it,,use it,,and enjoy it, you wont be dissapointed

KB3QKL Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 06:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed one of these on the top rear fender of my buddies car which really isn't the ideal spot but it was the most practical in this installation. Due to the the way the fender slopes out this caused the antenna to be slanted. We then tuned the antenna to 146Mhz (snipped a little over a half an inch) and then bent the antenna whip at the base until in was straight. Let me tell you that this was not easy. We then double checked the SWR. The bend had little effect. It is very flexable so it can take some abuse. I'm going to purchase one of these after seeing the performance of this antenna. Below are the results of what I consider a very flat SWR bandwidth measured by an MFJ-259 antenna analyzer.

144 - 1.3
145 - 1.2
146 - 1.1
147 - 1.2
148 - 1.3

NW2M Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2006 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Two antennas in one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for years. A full 5/8 wave on 2M -plus- a 1/4 wave on 6M. I have run a full 50 watts on 2M and 100 watts on 6M without any problems. SWR is very low. It is a better antenna on 6M than single-band base loaded ones. I like the NMO mount and drilled the hole in the top of my mini van. IMHO, this is the only way to go for solid performance. It has been a reliable antenna- and I would buy another. This one does not want to wear out. Excellent value for the money.

K4DV Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2006 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have operated the 5/8 Larsen for nearly 15 years and it has been exceptional. I have run it on a mag mount on top of my pickup and enjoy great service. It has been knocked off by birds, tree limbs, etc and dragged down the road a time or two before I could get stopped and it hasn't missed a lick. SWR still as good as day one.
The performance is top notch as well. I have compared it against several name brands as well as cheapo's and it comes out on top every time.
I have owned many styles of Larsen and they are all great antennas.