Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner
LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner Reviews: 80 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The return of the popular Z-11 in a Pro version with increased RF power capacity and more memories. 0.1 to 125 watts (100W on 6M). 8000 3-D memories store up to 4 antenna settings per frequency, SWR indicator, internal battery capable, latching relays, SSB tuning and 160 thru 6 meter coverage.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner.

KF8KL Rating: 0/5 Jul 14, 2017 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Worthless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Z-11 ProII a few years ago and it has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. It would not tune up on any band--I have an inverted V up about 30 feet with 61 ft. on each leg. I called the service department and was told there was nothing wrong with it which kind of amazed me since the guy wasn't here to actually witness the unit continuing to whirr and whirr but unable to come up with a setting less than 3 to 1. I loaned it to a friend who also has an inverted V and he couldn't get it to tune either. My friend told me he had heard a few similar stories but I can't confirm them. In any case I cannot recommend any LDG product because of the total lack of quality control and the total lack of customer service. Other than that the unit sucks...

VA3KAI Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2016 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Seems to work better with non-tuned antennas!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and used my Z-11 ProII for several years and used it on different antennas - both at the shack and remotely. I had it for a while on one of my 2 OCF dipoles (270') and it was okay but wanted re-tune occasionally, even when a match was good. Currently, it is used to remotely (connected to a 7.2AH 12v battery) to tune my 44' sloping-dipole and ~25' of 450 ohm ladder-line via a 4:1 current balun and short coax jumper. It tunes 30M thru 10M without fail, every time - the only time it gets messed and locked up is if I QSY to multiple bands repeatedly. I then walk out, de-power for 10 secs and restart up. It auto-tunes on both cw and ssb at 100W, no problems. The remote tuner is grounded to a 4' rod via copper strap and I use a lightning arrestor in the remote box. RG-8x 45' feeder to rig(s). What I try to do is use my internal TS2000 tuner for most fine tuning on the OCF's and my LDG Z-11 Pro for non-tuned antennas such as the 44' dipole and my 130' inv-L - it seems to work better in these situations. Just my non-technical observations. Happy with my purchase.

KC8AON Rating: 1/5 Nov 2, 2016 04:22 Send this review to a friend
Junk !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First the station: Icom 706Mk2 directly controlling the LDG Z11 Pro2 tuner feeding an 80 thru 6 meter OCFD with a 4:1 Guanella current balun, 44' short side, 89' long side with 24 mix 43 ferrite beads on the coax right under the balun and a CMC choke inside the shack consisting of three FT140-43 cores glued together in a stack and 11 turns of RG58 foam coax on it between the antenna feed line and tuner. Radio auto switches to 10 watts CW when pushing the tune button and returns to previous mode & power level after tuning.
First problem encountered with tuner: OCFD has a 2.4:1 swr where I normally operate on 75 meter phone chatting with some local friends. Using the LDG tuner would actually make the swr higher - about a 2.8:1 ! I could do the manual tune process and get it down to almost a 1.1:1 and sometimes the tuner would hold it and sometimes it would retune on its own to the 2.8:1. Only way to make sure it stayed tuned is to disconnect DC power after its tuned and let the latching relays hold it.
Second problem: The tuner would pass up a good match on several occasions during a tuning cycle and settle on something much worse while watching a known good swr meter while it was in the tune mode and also watching the swr meter on the radio. It would actually dip to almost no swr at all a couple of times and then settle on a 1.8:1 or something similar but never settled on the better match it had already found !
Third problem: LDG says if it doesn't find a match to suit you, you can use the manual tune buttons to scroll through the inductor and capacitor values to get a better match and then use the manual memory store to store those settings into memory. Well, sometimes the manual memory store works and sometimes it doesn't. Do the manual tune, then manual memory store, but then leave that frequency and come back later and you would think the tuner would use the settings you stored but it doesn't - just goes through the normal cycle and settles on something sub par and not the ones you stored and wanted it to use.
Fourth problem: Finally get the tuner to start acting somewhat ok and get a few frequency settings stored into memory, but it does fine when the radio is in the low power tune mode, but then the swr dances up and down after you return to normal power. All the LED indicators flash when it should be the green one only, and the external swr meter and the one built into the radio is dancing around. No relays are cycling when this is going on so the tuner isn't changing its settings, so I suspect something may be arching inside the tuner. And I know its not something in the antenna as a manual tuner will tune it to a very good match and it stays rock solid at full power too, so nothing arching in the antenna system itself.

KE7MU Rating: 2/5 Feb 11, 2016 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Warning of a real issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
So I used mine and put up with odd behavior, often re-tuning its self even with a green indicator. I would deal with this behavior as all it does is interrupt my QSO.
Then I hooked up an amp to it, I would put it in standby and try to stop this problem, then it happened, it started re-tuning and it almost blew my AMP, it caused my Hi-Power tuner to arc as well. Never again, Unreliable, Unpredictable!

IT9AHH Rating: 2/5 Nov 9, 2015 09:28 Send this review to a friend
problems with 100watts cw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
my experience with ldg z11 pro2 version:
with 100 watts cw this tuner goes always stby.
the user manual should indicate the real duty cycle limits per cw mode.
resold after less than one week.
it's good only up to 30 watts in cw.
be careful with this tuner and with your power output, especially in cw and over 30 watts.
franco.

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2015 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Magnificent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all, I have 2 LDG Z11Pro2. First time to use it, yes it takes long time. But after that the tuner works in seconds. I tried even to tune my Hexbeam on 160m. And do you know what??? it was success. So, I use 1 of the 2 with my FT857D and original MTFT 9:1 balun (ZX Yagi 20 years old) and 16,20m wire. Manyb DX with it. And the 2nd with my fieldday and IRESC suitcase with multiband vertical Sigma antenna. No problem to tune on 1:1
73 Xavier

N2LRB Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2015 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Work OK, Takes Long to tune  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this auto tuner with the thought of using it outdoor portable with my Yaesu FT-857D. I found that it takes an average of 20-35 seconds to tune. This happens even when the antenna is the proper length for the given frequency. I have tried it on a dipole resonate on 14.250Mhz, which my MFJ-259C says has an swr 1:1 and this tuner will still take 20 seconds. It should take no second. Ultimately it works, but after using my first Elecraft tuner (on my KX3 which takes 1 second to tune) I can't give this tuner a great review. This tuner takes too long to tune and makes me concerned about my finals.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2015 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Works mobile for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an IC-706 original feeding the LDG tuner and a 102 inch whip running mobile. The combo works great. The tuner will tune the whip from 6-40 meters. 40 takes some doing but it works. Have to use the tune button on the tuner for 6meters for some unknown reason. Tune button or radio works for all other bands. This is my second tuner from LDG and both are excellent.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 15:18 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE TUNER  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use my LDG Z-11 Pro II with my longwire antenna by adding a RBA-4:1 balun. I also added 8 AA batteries in it. LDG Z-11 Pro II is user friendly, easy operable, almost plug and play, lightweight and tiny. Works smoothly. If you want to make the memory operation work well, you have to mount the batteries in it. It uses batteries only during tuning, when tuning finishes it doesn't consume the batteries. I tried that tuner with IC-7200, FT-857D and Efe QRP succesfully. It works better than AT-200. I will buy one another LDG Z-11 Pro II for mobile operations.

N2DM Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2015 14:09 Send this review to a friend
very handy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Z11 Pro,tuner. Have had for over 5 years. Number 1 like: The tuner has latching relays, and draws no power in standby mode. Retains setting until you retune. (Other auto tuners I have used that are non-latching lose settings with power shutdown).
No. 2 like, matches any antenna I have used. Balun may be needed for some ant's.
Dislike: tuner may be put into bypass, but will not remain so, unless power is removed from tuner. With 12volts applied, and when transmitting, the tuner will switch from bypass to retune mode.
I very much like using with Hustler mobile whip, tuner at base of antenna in weather proof container, works great.
Would buy another. 73, Dale.