Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner
LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner Reviews: 69 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The return of the popular Z-11 in a Pro version with increased RF power capacity and more memories. 0.1 to 125 watts (100W on 6M). 8000 3-D memories store up to 4 antenna settings per frequency, SWR indicator, internal battery capable, latching relays, SSB tuning and 160 thru 6 meter coverage.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner.

KJ6GED Rating: 0/5 Dec 18, 2011 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tuner just keeps on tuning even after manual tuning. Would not tune 11m antenna to 10m band, just keep making noise. I really can't understand why some of these company's claim to have a great product, but in actuality they sell garbage ie: LDG and MFJ. After I took it back for a refund I found a $35 Dentron JR Monitor on ebay, this thing will tune anything. I will never buy LDG again.

N0YK Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this tuner in combination with a S9 31' vertical antenna. I put a large waterproof electrical box at the base of the antenna and a 12 volt power supply. I then used the LDG 1:1 balun and connected the antenna to the tuner. This setup is working amazingly well in my antenna strict neighborhood! I currently can tune 6m-75m without a problem and have good signal reports on all bands. I cannot tune 160m yet but I have a 4:1 balun to try and I'm sure this will bring the 160 meter world into play. I drive all this with a Icom 746 Pro, I start with low power (20w) then after the tuner find the match increase to full power and always get below a 1.5 to 1. It does take the tuner a few seconds to find a new match but stored matches are restored instantly on transmit. Very happy with the combination and LDG was super about answering my questions before buying.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2011 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Great simple auto-tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've operated this tuner with the FT-857D and FT-817ND portable and it has always worked flawlessly. I recently sent away for the upgrade IC (cheap upgrade!) and find that it tunes faster with a variety of portable verticals and dipoles. I just love this rugged, fast, quick autotuner !

Bob KK8ZZ

N2LK Rating: 3/5 Jun 28, 2011 03:35 Send this review to a friend
OK but power limited  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The tuner works as advertised but watch your power output!! I burnt up a toroid using 30 watts PSK on 80 meters with a homemade 43ft. veritcal. LDG was GREAT in repairing and sending back no charge..

Unfortunately I smoked it again on 17 meters digital....low power too..not as bad this time so I will keep it in case I ever go portoble with low power one day.

The advertised 125 watt power capability applies maybe for short duration cw and ssb, but for digi modes keep that power below 25 watts and you will be fine.

For me, I just finished a very robust homebrew T tuner and no problems at 100 watts.

VA3KAI Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2011 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Works very well inc. contesting calling CQ  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought it primarily for portable contesting use for HF and 6M using my 100' inverted-vee wire antenna fed with 300 ohm twin lead, 1:1 choke balun and a short 8' length of coax. Solid auto-matches <1.5:1 each time after initially working my way up each band (80M thru 6M, including all WARC bands), on low power before QRO operating. I use car booster pack with 12V cigarette plugs for both my LDG Z-11 Pro II tuner and my Hamgadgets auto-keyer. Recently during FD, it stretched our club 80-40-20-15 fan/trapped dipole to full bandwidth across 80-6M FD bands (although I couldn't get it to match on 160M). Always grounded to radio and a ground rod of some kind. Works quite well, with minimal heat build-up, even when holding a contest frequency for 45-60 mins using full 100W -- works as advertised. I'm very happy with my purchase and got a free, promotional LDG balun to boot!

NO9E Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2011 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good but not for running  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner pretty much matches everything. Two things to look for.

1. It searches for match endlessly when the voltage is < 8.2 V. With built-in 6 AA batteries, this is half-full (or half empty). No low-battery warnings.

2. Works well in casual QSOs or S&P but easily overheats when running in a contest.

GM1SXX Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2011 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Very useful auto matcher  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,

I've owned one of these devices for several years and I've already reviewed it on these pages. I like it so much that Ive bought another one!

It's an impedance matching device, not an 'antenna tuner', despite what the manufacturers say or claim. In fact' it's just a simple L-match circuit, relay-driven by a PIC MPU that takes VSWR info from a simple toroid based bridge circuit.

Once you have used an automatic matcher, you won't want to use a manual one.

Yesterday, at a local radio rally, I bought my second LDG Z-11 Pro, this one being a mark II version. My reasoning for this is that I also like to work /P, and life is too short to use manual matchers :-) I plan to use it with a vertical whip mounted on a salvaged military radio carrier frame with a trailing counterpoise.

I've fitted my Z-11's with battery packs made from alkaline AA cells soldered in a series string and wrapped in PVC tape. This allows completely self-contained operation without the need for an external battery or cables. My battery pack is held in place by a pair of ty-wraps wrapped around the PCB and over the battery pack.

I still don't much like the manual supplied with this AMU. It could be better, hence the 4. The actual product has worked very well for me since I purchased my first one, which is used mainly with my FT-102 transceiver.

If I could give this a 4.5 I would, but the manual is a disappointment.

regards,
AL.
GM1SXX

N1TZU Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional manufacture  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the LDG Z11pro tuner about three years ago to use with my FT-817 backpack station..used it for two summers and it stopped working..It more than likely was my fault..I think I push it to hard into a high SWR situation..After procrastinating for six months I decided to send it in for repair about three weeks ago..because I,m planning to sell the 817 portable station..I just received a box from UPS..The service slip from LDG Electronics read.." Unit not repairable..replace with new Z11-pro2 unit at no charge to customer " Now..You can't beat that for a company that stands behind there product..I was not expecting that at all..LDG Electronics will always get my business in the future..I did buy the AT-200 pro to use with FT-857D..LDG Electronics is GREAT..I give them the BIG THUMBS UP..!!!!!!! N1TZU...BOB....Brunswick,Maine

K1EHZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2011 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Z-11 Pro II tuner lightly used from another ham, including the original receipt so the warranty transferred. It is installed in a Carlon box at the base of an S9 31' vertical antenna 50 feet from the house.

There was an intermittent problem so, after exchanging e-mails with LDG, I sent it to them. They reproduced the problem and identified the short coax that came with the tuner as the culprit. (Should have thought of that myself!) They replaced the coax and returned the unit quickly at no charge.

Because of the cold weather here in New Hampshire (down to -14F), the batteries were not holding up. This was resolved by running an extension cord to the antenna site to power the tuner.

With these adjustments, the tuner has worked very well through the winter weather so far, under 3 feet of snow and at consistently low temperatures. E-mail help and actual service have been excellent. I would definitely consider other LDG products based on this experience.

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Simple, effective, good value.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice balance between cost and capability. It runs a long time on AA batteries if you are willing to solder the holders to the PCB.

It has a very reasonable tuning range, and you can extend that by using matching transformers at the antenna. LDG actually encourages this for some antenna types, and they sell a 4:1 balun for this purpose, although I prefer the ones from Balun Designs. Make sure you use a transformer that steps the impedance in the direction you need, though--know your antenna.

It is nice to be able to fine-tune a tuning solution using the front panel buttons. Doing this I have been able to trim many antennas down to 1:1 SWR, although the tuner almost always gets me down to 1.5:1 on its own.

They aren't designed for exposure to elements, but the operating temperature range is impressive. Contact LDG by email and they will give you more info.

I have worked some DX contests from hotel rooms with wire hanging from the ceiling using this tuner and a QRP transceiver, and enjoyed every minute of it. Of course, I asked for a top floor room so my antenna height was also pretty good!

Bought it, enjoyed it, worth every penny, would do it again without hesitation.