Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner
LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The return of the popular Z-11 in a Pro version with increased RF power capacity and more memories. 0.1 to 125 watts (100W on 6M). 8000 3-D memories store up to 4 antenna settings per frequency, SWR indicator, internal battery capable, latching relays, SSB tuning and 160 thru 6 meter coverage.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-11Pro Memory Autotuner.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 05:44 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This little unit has worked great for me. I use an end fed match box antenna on hf, and the z11 keeps my swr below 1.75, 80-10m. Great product and simple to use.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2014 07:41 Send this review to a friend
A Must Have!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These tuners are an absolute bargain. I have one in my vehicle and one in my shack. I installed an internal battery holder and my AA batteries last over a year of daily use. No additional power cable required. Key down and it instantly tunes. Works better than any internal tuner. Whether you work QRP or run 100 watts I highly recommend the LDG line of tuners. Great company, greta products.

WB0OEW Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
works well complete remote  Time owned: more than 12 months
My approach to antenna tuners is always put them as close to the antenna as possible. A tuner in the radio or amp is only useful if you expect to ever connect it directly to the antenna without a feedline. Since I don't ever run more than 100W I decided to use the Z11-Pro as the basis for a rugged remote tuner for use around the home that I could leave outdoors with the antennas.

I live in the desert SW so I was concerned about heat. I contacted LDG and they assured me the unit will be fine with ambient temperatures up to 140F. I put mine in a polycarbonate box covered with aluminum tape to help reflect some of the hot sun. In the box I put the LDG along with an MFJ 4116 Bias Tee and Elecraft BL2 balun kit. Antenna connections come out to two 5-way binding posts. Before closing it up I set it to Auto mode by pressing Func then tapping C Up until the inner two (of the four) LEDs are lit.

Then with another bias tee at the shack end, this gives me a maintenance-free fully automatic remote tuner located at the antenna connected back to the radio with any amount of coax. I've used it with long wires, inverted-Ls, ground planes and dipoles. Any time I QSY or change bands I give a quick tune with 1 Watt and watch the SWR drop within a few seconds. On the rare occasions when it can not find a match, it leaves the SWR at 10:1 so it is always clear one way or the other. I've had this setup for over two years, outside from freezing to over 110 F without any problems whatsoever.

I am very satisfied with the the LDG Z-11Pro.

LICENSED1962 Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2013 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Convienance for old guy  Time owned: more than 12 months
The magic smoke that makes this work has never left the box.

Why did I purchase this expensive accessory instead of properly tuning my antenna(s)? Only because I no longer enjoy putting up and taking down all those improperly tuned antennas for the freq I want to be on, and have always found eliminating SWR across multiple bands with "manual" units bit tedious.

Sure, it hunts and pecks to get there, but it often does! I have used it with several radios, including QRP, with very good results. I am currently using it with a 20-15-10 inverted V and a TS480AT. It often tunes better than the 480 (sometimes tunes when the 480 will not.) YMMV. And of course it can be tuned manually for SWL.

A couple of suggestions: Get your antenna as close as you can and ALWAYS tune with low power.

I give it a "good" instead of a "great" because recently, sometimes, it seems one or more of the relays becomes stuck. I unplug the unit, power up, and manual jog the relays. Also, it seems multiple memories are at work on the same frequency. Several momentary "Tunes" are needed to get the right one.

All things considered I am very happy I spent the money for this Z-11ProII.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2013 20:54 Send this review to a friend
No problems at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this when I moved several year ago. It was early winter and no time for putting up a decent antenna. So dropped a 33 ft wire out the window (upstairs shack) to tree and ran it with my FT-817, using the free balun they included. Used only the internal batteries. Works like a champ. Got a good match on 40 through 10 and made a lot of contacts with it. Yeah I had a manual tuner but changing bands took only seconds. Have been happy with. Not one problem. Recommended.

K7WFM Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2012 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Meh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the Z-11Pro II- It does alot of chattering sometimes after it's supposed to have memorized "The lowest match." The best match on some bands is ~1.5:1...a few jabs at the inductor/cap buttons brings it down to close to 1:1. For an auto tuner, I do a lot of button jabbing. I think this will be relegated to portable use with the FT-857 as its foot print is very small. I'll go back to my MFJ manual tuner for the home base. Oh, and the LED codes are very crpytic and blink their codes way too fast as mentioned in some other reviews.

VE9SK Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2012 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought my second Z11 pro II and used it remotely at the base of a S9 43foot vertical during the recent Lighthouse/Lightship weekend at Swallowtail Lighthouse at Grand Manan Island in the Bay of Fundy. Worked as advertised, and had no problems with it whatsoever. Had it mounted in a weather proof box,along with a 9 to 1 UNUN, and fed power to it with 8 AA alkaline batteries. Used it on all bands from 80M to 10M....Flawless all the way.

K6XR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 05:09 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use a Carolina Window40 at 35 feet antenna. the LDG-z-11Pro tunes 40-6 meters in a flash. Hit the cw key or tune button on the radio and it clicks in a instant to 1:1 swr. A very good piece of gear for the ham shack. That is of course, on previously tuned memories. for a new freq usually less that 4 seconds has been my experience.

N0IHM Rating: 3/5 Jun 26, 2012 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Need to have Nifty card  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this for my first outboard auto tuner. Try to remember if you have it on manual or auto, and then be sure to watch lights, as they do their thing quickly. That's the only quick thing for me, half the time, as when I do a "new" frequency, it usually chatters for about 8-9 seconds, then finally stops with a 2 to 3:1 reading?? This is on a "store bought" 80-10 dipole. Same for homebrew 40m. Gonna re-read the manual again..and again...see if I missed something. May just use my manual Ten Tec inline.

G4REK Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2012 10:59 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD TUNER  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice easy to use tuner...bought it because my SGC auto tuner need too much rf to get it into life when using my green radio PRC 320 CLANSMAN.....